Sonos Connect Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos Connect Alternatives

I'm planning to download all my CD music onto a NAS Drive as FLAC files and then feed a player that will provide the source for my home stereo system. The Sonos systems was recommended to me as the player, I guess as to the ease of running their app for instance on a pad that would display my whole music collection as album covers and allow anyone to easily sort and choose music. The Sonos hardware is a little pricey for what seems like a pretty simple media receiver- are there alternatives I should be considering or is the Sonos software and app worth is based on ease of use/reliability/etc?

Comment

Originally posted by mastermixlee View Post

If you want local media (as in what you'd store on a Nas) to be the primary source then id suggest Chromecast audio coupled with something like Plex media server. You could then cast the audio to a set of speakers, a group of Chromecast audios or the whole house.
      Thanks- that is a good start for me. Is my understanding here correct?

Sonos Connect is basically a wifi and software media server combo. I can use Chromecast as the wifi component and use Plex Media Server Software to replace the Sonos software that both organized the media files and then plays them through my chosen hardware.

If that is the case, my purpose in setting this up is to play high quality FLAC files on very high fidelity sound equipment. Is there any loss that you're aware of on the Chromecast as far as my end result of wanting to get full 20-20K KHZ audio to my sound system? Is Chromecast of equal bandwidth to the Sonos Connect wifi?

Thanks for the assistance-

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
        Thanks- that is a good start for me. Is my understanding here correct?

Sonos Connect is basically a wifi and software media server combo. I can use Chromecast as the wifi component and use Plex Media Server Software to replace the Sonos software that both organized the media files and then plays them through my chosen hardware.

If that is the case, my purpose in setting this up is to play high quality FLAC files on very high fidelity sound equipment. Is there any loss that you're aware of on the Chromecast as far as my end result of wanting to get full 20-20K KHZ audio to my sound system? Is Chromecast of equal bandwidth to the Sonos Connect wifi?

Thanks for the assistance-

Comment

Working...
        X