HS3 hardware recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased the software and smartstick+ but i'm not sure what i'll run it on yet so thought i'd post here looking for recommendations. Is there a general consensus on a good platform for this?

In my case I want to put it in my network panel so something with a low profile would probably be best. Not much ventilation in there either. I was thinking about throwing windows on a cheap low profile Intel NUC perhaps. Low power draw is another trait that'd be ideal since it's on all the time.

thoughts?

There are much better or better suited options than mine however in my case - and I am new myself to this.. I went crazy.

Initially it was running on a virtual machine on a DL380 server. But I decided that I didn't want the server to run 24/7 as it is very noisy and juicy on power and so I got a dedicated HP Microserver.

I've literally installed it less than 48 hours but it runs really well.
    Having said that, it's a massive overkill having that power but I wanted to futureproof it and also have the ability of still running it under a Virtual Machine.
    If the machine dies, it's just a case of failing over to another Hyper-V machine (either the first server or another one ) and we're back up and running.
    It also can have 4 drives so I could set it up if one drive dies, it just fails over to the other although for now that is not in the budget.

But as you'll have read, many run it using a intel NUC - something I considered but got more for my money with the Microserver.

Others use a laptop where you have an automatic UPS so to speak...power cut = onto battery and you have a few hours there to get the power back up...although if your lights are not on a generator or battery how much use HA gives you I have no idea unless you have security.

Also a laptop is portable.

One thing I did learn is HS3 does not require much juice - it's more about how far you want to take it

Comment

It's a real "how long is a piece of string question" with no single answer. Running a Raspberry Pi 3 with an X10 Controller attached. X10 controller looks after lights and switches. A USB to serial connection between the Pi and a built in automation module to the the Concord 4 Alarm Panel. Finally IP cameras in the form of self build Raspberry Pi cameras covering visual security with motion detection and notification. Alexa integrated into this system gives me voice control the whole setup

The above covers 95% of my HA needs. The other 5% I feel would be pure hobbyist/tinkering and while I do that from time to time, my main setup runs 24/7 in the background and is extremely energy efficient.

I don't see the point running an energy monitoring system 24/7 on a power hungry beast. Defeats the purpose really.

Might be worth adding up the cost of running any proposed system prior to making purchasing decisions. If costs are not an issue, by all means purchase whatever equipment you feel you need. It really is down to these choices.

Comment

I would recommend one of the HomeSeer controllers available here and preloaded with HS3. Each draws low power as compared to a PC.
        https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/home-controllers
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Unfortunately Rupp i've already purchased the software

Comment

Originally posted by gwichman View Post
            I purchased the software and smartstick+ but i'm not sure what i'll run it on yet so thought i'd post here looking for recommendations. Is there a general consensus on a good platform for this?

In my case I want to put it in my network panel so something with a low profile would probably be best. Not much ventilation in there either. I was thinking about throwing windows on a cheap low profile Intel NUC perhaps. Low power draw is another trait that'd be ideal since it's on all the time.

thoughts?
            Last edited by Kerat; January 19, 2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Relating to using a small footprint computer inside of your LAN can you have a few choices these days.

I have played/tinkered with...

- A 1" X 2" microrouter running OpenWRT. This device though will not run HS3

- A PipoX7 - Intel Baytrail computer with runs Windows 10 or Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. It is literally the size of my hand. There are a bunch of these out there today for around $100 and some change.
              - A Raspberry Pi 3 - Runs RPi Stretch Linux - I would start with this one for your initial HS3 configuration.
              - Pine64 2Gb computer running Ubuntu 64bit.
              - there are a whole bunch of micro PCs based on the NUC style motherboards these days. These run Windows or Linux and can have one network port or 4 network ports if you want to make it a firewall. Depending on the CPU / RAM these can be priced from a bit over $100 to $400 for everything including the kitchen sink.
              - mini dual core cube computer (Xi5A you can purchase new old or refurbished for $60 USD). Runs Windows or Linux 64 bit or 32 bit. Mine came with Windows 7.

The big brother to the Pine64 is the Rock64 4Gb computer which is the same size as an RPi3. Only that it has 4 Gb RAM and can boot up from an eMMC card instead of using a microSD card.

What is nice is that Homeseer 3 offers you the options of running on Windows (AMD or Intel) or Linux (Linux ARM, AMD or Intel) big or little computer.
              Last edited by Pete; January 19, 2018, 05:27 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks All. I've decided to go ahead and order a Pi3 since it seems like it checks all the boxes for me. Cheap, low power, small, etc. Given I have a sysadmin background I figure it'll be a fun little project to tinker with anyways. Any pointers to a good setup guide?

Comment

There is nothing special about configuring an RPi3 to work with Homeseer.

There are many guides here on the forum. Many newbies (non Linux folks) use the base Zee2 build and replace the HomeSeer directory.

That said the Zee2 build is on Jessie Lite and using old Mono.

1 - write the lite RPi3 Stretch image to a microsd card. Lately preference here is a 16Gb card or 32 Gb card.
                  2 - upgrade / update your build
                  3 - configure it for a static IP address (my preference)
                  4 - install newest version of Mono - mono-complete
                  5 - install extra mono stuff for Homeseer 3
                  apt-get install mono-vbnc
                  6 - create homeseer users...here use homeseer and pete
                  7 - install homeseer wherever. Default for Zee2 is /usr/local/HomeSeer.
                  Other users utilize /opt/HomeSeer. I utilize root /HomeSeer
                  8 - give the users rights to wherever you have HS3 installed.

This is a brief step by step.

If using Linux speech TTS / VR you will need to install it.
                  Original recommendation was to use Linux Flite TTS.

Note too that Homeseer is just a directory that you can install anywhere on your RPi3.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go Monday when it arrives from Amazon.

Comment

@Gerald..

...good news and welcome to Homeseer!!!
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

In case you don't wanna mess with PI, look at a Beelink BT3 Pro. It's only 10 watts and runs silent you can order them with Win 10 or Linux

I'm running mine on an i7 HTPC that's pulling 100w. I got the Beelink last month and confirmed that everything works when I migrated over.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini...78.html?wid=21

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          1 - write the lite RPi3 Stretch image to a microsd card. Lately preference here is a 16Gb card or 32 Gb card.
                          what do you mean by "lite" stretch image anyways? are you referring to the minimal install option instead of the default desktop installation?

Comment

Originally posted by gwichman View Post
                            what do you mean by "lite" stretch image anyways? are you referring to the minimal install option instead of the default desktop installation?
                            Yes Stretch Lite is a scaled down version of Stretch without a GUI. No need for a GUI on a Raspberry Pi anyway and reduces the overhead on the Raspberry Pi. Perfect for running HG.

Comment

Well it seem seems to be up in that I can pull up the UI via http. So far so good. I have a minimal install raspberry pi3 now with ssh enabled that boots HS3 upon boot (the linux download).

I guess i'm wondering what the pros and cons are to running the linux download vs the raspberry pi download?

Comment

Working...
                              X