www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor

HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor Forum for HomeSeer HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor

Old December 27th, 2017, 11:23 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by julez View Post
So what kind of range and spread are we looking at for the motion sensing?
I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some Zooz sensors, but the line power intrigues me. Also what kind of power adapter does it require? I'd assume I could just use the same sort of adapter that I have for a Pi3?
A Pi3 power adapter should work just fine.

website | products | support | youtube
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Seer

How does this sensor detect motion?

I have an Aeon Labs version that uses light and heat for motion detection. the problem is that a light turning on will trigger a motion event.

I also look forward to an outdoor version.
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Seer Deluxe

I suspect it uses a PIR very similiar to this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ceBeautifyAB=0

Work great as I use it tied to an arduino with the arduino plugin to detect my cat trying to eat our house plants. It's not a pet immune sensor, I don't see anything about this new HS device if it's pet immune or not. Might be important to some.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:09 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizardofoz View Post
How does this sensor detect motion?

I have an Aeon Labs version that uses light and heat for motion detection. the problem is that a light turning on will trigger a motion event.

I also look forward to an outdoor version.
it uses an infrared sensor.

Old January 18th, 2018, 12:26 AM
Seer

I'm actually using a pair of these in my garage right now. We've had a pretty nasty cold spell where the garage was closer to -15C and they continued to work without any issue even though it says 0-40C. I expect the temperature range is probably conservative.

I do have a coupe questions about them.

1. Since they an be line powered, is there any way to make them so they can always in a listening node state?

2. What is the sensitivity adjustment actually adjusting? Is it the object size it's seeing move? Or the speed of the movement?

3. One observation, seems like it takes roughly 1 second for it to trigger motion. Which is actually pretty good considering other sensors I've worked with sometimes are 4-5 seconds. Are there any adjustments that can be made to make it faster?
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
I'm actually using a pair of these in my garage right now. We've had a pretty nasty cold spell where the garage was closer to -15C and they continued to work without any issue even though it says 0-40C. I expect the temperature range is probably conservative.

1. Since they an be line powered, is there any way to make them so they can always in a listening node state?

2. What is the sensitivity adjustment actually adjusting? Is it the object size it's seeing move? Or the speed of the movement?

3. One observation, seems like it takes roughly 1 second for it to trigger motion. Which is actually pretty good considering other sensors I've worked with sometimes are 4-5 seconds. Are there any adjustments that can be made to make it faster?
Usually for point 1, you have to exclude the device and then re-add it when it's being externally powered.
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:51 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:

1. Yes, you can set the motion timeout to something very small like 10 seconds
  2. The refers to the sensitivity of IR. Typically, this translates to increasing the range (distance)
  3. No

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
  1. Yes, you can set the motion timeout to something very small like 10 seconds
  2. The refers to the sensitivity of IR. Typically, this translates to increasing the range (distance)
  3. No
Ha! I was going to mention range also in number 2.
This is perfect! Thanks!

Can't wait to see the Outdoor units.

So just a follow-up on 1 with the motion timeout. If I have HS3 try to communicate with the sensor with that low of a timeout, it's essentially listening and should respond then?

Just doing some more configuration yesterday evening I had it set to 60sec for the timeout and at that point I still had to tap the button 4 times to be able to communicate with the sensor in order to see and change the configuration settings or to optimize it.

To follow-up on what cheeryfool said above. Is there any difference in adopting the sensor on battery vs line power?
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:37 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Ha! I was going to mention range also in number 2.
This is perfect! Thanks!

Can't wait to see the Outdoor units.

So just a follow-up on 1 with the motion timeout. If I have HS3 try to communicate with the sensor with that low of a timeout, it's essentially listening and should respond then?

Just doing some more configuration yesterday evening I had it set to 60sec for the timeout and at that point I still had to tap the button 4 times to be able to communicate with the sensor in order to see and change the configuration settings or to optimize it.

To follow-up on what cheeryfool said above. Is there any difference in adopting the sensor on battery vs line power?
If you include the unit while on line power, it will function as a ROUTING SLAVE ("repeater"), you won't need to wake it to get into the settings and you can set the motion timeout as low as "0" which will make it extremely responsive.

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Seer

Quote:
If you include the unit while on line power, it will function as a ROUTING SLAVE ("repeater"), you won't need to wake it to get into the settings and you can set the motion timeout as low as "0" which will make it extremely responsive.
Thanks, this is extremely useful information!
Old January 19th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Seer

Quote:
So I tried this. Completely removed the battery before the secure inclusion.
It comes up as Enhanced Routing Slave, but if I test connectivity I get a failed to reach node.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvjlraiatf...pture.JPG?dl=0
Old January 19th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Seer Master

I'm also seeing the same behavior. The unit only responds to motion otherwise I get the failed to reach node.

Stuart

Auditing node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
HomeSeer cannot test two-way communication with the node because it is a non-listening node.
This was included to the system on a power supply and the battery was removed from the system prior to inclusion and remains out of the unit.
Old January 19th, 2018, 04:45 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
So I tried this. Completely removed the battery before the secure inclusion.
It comes up as Enhanced Routing Slave, but if I test connectivity I get a failed to reach node.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvjlraiatf...pture.JPG?dl=0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'm also seeing the same behavior. The unit only responds to motion otherwise I get the failed to reach node.

Stuart

Auditing node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
HomeSeer cannot test two-way communication with the node because it is a non-listening node.
This was included to the system on a power supply and the battery was removed from the system prior to inclusion and remains out of the unit.
Not an issue for me. What version of the Z-Wave plug-in are you using? And... did you try optimizing the node?

Old January 19th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Seer Master

just woke up the unit
optimized
got this after it optimized after wating 15 seconds

Failed to reach node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor)

zwave 3.0.1.185 Hs3 3.0.0.402

HomeSeer Tech Version: 1.1 firmware

Stuart
Old January 19th, 2018, 06:36 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
just woke up the unit
optimized
got this after it optimized after wating 15 seconds

Failed to reach node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor)

zwave 3.0.1.185 Hs3 3.0.0.402

HomeSeer Tech Version: 1.1 firmware

Stuart
If it's on line power when you include it, there should be no need to wake it up. You should be able to click on "Settings" on the Z-Wave tab and all settings will display. Try including it again but this time bring the sensor close to the controller first, then put it on line power and exclude it, them include it again. Then check the settings and do a connectivity test. Once that's working properly, reposition it, plug it in and optimize it. Everything should be good then.

Old January 19th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Seer

Quote:
Not an issue for me. What version of the Z-Wave plug-in are you using? And... did you try optimizing the node?

I was pretty sure I did a full optimize. I'll double check when I get home.

Last edited by julez; January 20th, 2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I said 173... I'm using 184.
Old January 19th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Seer Master

excluded and included only on power. 2 feet from the znet. same results.
The unit behaves the same. I took the battery out the first day I got the unit.

Stuart
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Seer

Ah I think I figured it out.

I had not changed the wake-up interval away from 12hrs.
Adjusting this setting to 1 second basically got it taken care of.

But pairing it on line power vs battery didn't seem to make any difference.
I also tried secure and non-secure on line power.

So if line power inclusion is supposed to change the wake-up interval, I don't think it does currently.
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Seer

Quote:
Ah I think I figured it out.

I had not changed the wake-up interval away from 12hrs.
Adjusting this setting to 1 second basically got it taken care of.

But pairing it on line power vs battery didn't seem to make any difference.
I also tried secure and non-secure on line power.

So if line power inclusion is supposed to change the wake-up interval, I don't think it does currently.
Actually nope I was wrong, it didn't help after all. I don't think I waited long enough before.
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Seer Master

So after extensive testing it gets worse. I cannot get this to continuously listen. I have been able to change all the settings except when I get to time. The time change window will not bring up the numbers if you first click on days. I have to choose another time first then clicking on days the numbers appear. However I am unable to set the time for any amount of minutes or seconds. I have tired this both on chrome and firefox. I can select 1 second and then after clicking on the set button I find that it never updates in the device, yet if I go back to change it, the seconds are still selected in the time change choice box.

Stuart