which plugin to use....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which plugin to use....

I'm trying to decide between the lpspeak or ab8ss...my understanding is that the lpspeak provides a sort of speak proxy...can you describe what that would be used for?
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Sure the lrpSpeak is, in addition to a AB8SS switching, a speech proxy, meaning in your scripts or any time HS wants to speak, this plugin, being registered as the speak proxy will proxy the speech. The proxy can then perform things like adjust volume, or switch on certain speakers and such. It can also use a dictionary to look up hard to pronounce words and substitute a pronounciation for that word. There are other plugins that do a great job of this and much, much more, like supporting numerous different switching devices, but what I wanted to do is provide a simple rock solid plugin that supports all the latest API and .NET and not try to be everything to everyone. By taking this approach I believe my plugins will perform quickly and reliably. My automation systems usually performs a lot of stuff behind the scenes with out a lot of user intervention, so I do not require a bunch of GUI or other overhead, just a minimal setup or configuration and then let it run.

The AB8SS is just a AB8SS switch plugin only... meaning that the speech proxy would be handled by another plugin such as IsSpeaking and switching would take place as a result of a script command to tell AB8SS to turn switch 1-8 on or off for example.

Both plugins can be operated with script commands, but lrpSpeak offers speech proxy and embedded commands like "[Loc All] This is speech to be spoken." which turns Location=All speakers on and speaks "This is speech to be spoken". Another example is "[Loc Kitchen] This is more speech." would turn the "kitchen" speaker on and speak "This is more speech".

Does this answer your questions? My advice is to try the plugin in the trial mode and if it performs what you need, then you can license it.
    Last edited by lpitman; March 30, 2007, 03:05 PM.
    -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
    VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
    Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

The plugin I am using now allows me to:
      save the current speaker setting
      change those settings to make an announcement
      and then return to the saved settings
      This is usefull if listening to the radio and a phone call comes in and gets announced - and then it will return back to the radio.
      Will this new plugin do this also?
      John

Comment

No, this is just a simple turn one or many on/off with dictionary.
        -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Working...
        X