Reset "Unknown" status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset "Unknown" status

I have several Sensative strips (door/window sensors) that work just fine. Recently, on one of these the Root Device showed "Unknown" status. However, the device still works perfectly and is reporing status to HS3 as usual.

How do I reset the status back to "No status" with the default black icon (instead of the red question mark)? Rescanning doesn't work, and I do not want to exclude and include as that would change the device reference numbers.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    stefxx

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
    I have several Sensative strips (door/window sensors) that work just fine. Recently, on one of these the Root Device showed "Unknown" status. However, the device still works perfectly and is reporing status to HS3 as usual.

How do I reset the status back to "No status" with the default black icon (instead of the red question mark)? Rescanning doesn't work, and I do not want to exclude and include as that would change the device reference numbers.

Thanks!
    Are these battery devices? I found polling the device while it's asleep will do this. I can't change it back until the device wakes up and sends its change naturally.

What does the child device options include? Post screen shot of status graphics page.

Comment

Yes, they are battery devices. But the Root device normally doesn't indicate the device status at all, just the "No status" with the black (gear) icon. So I don't understand why that has changed into a red questionmark. I have seen the red questionmark before on devices and they do change back to normal after a while (when communication has restored) but only on devices that actually indicate a real status.

Here is the rest of the device:
      Attached Files
      stefxx

Comment

Click on it and post rhe status graphics page

Comment

Hi, here you go. But, there is nothing there to see... the Root device itself does not contain any status, so that is why this is all so weird. It seems the Z-Wave plugin sets the red icon on the device for some reason but never changes it back.

BTW, I already tried to set several devicevalues and devicestrings to the device (with a small script), but that doesn't do anything.
          Attached Files
          stefxx

Comment

I was messing with a motion sensor earlier today and noticed the same thing. The same is true of the child devices that show 'No Event' - they have no or incomplete status graphics portfolios. I'm thinking these must be canned values that are automagically provided.

On the Advanced tab, what does the device value show? I thnk you want it to be 0. If you run your script that sets the device value & string with the zwave plugin disabled, can you make them change? If so, that would imply that the plugin is actively updating this device with the mystery value.

Comment

Great suggestion to try to change the device with the Z-Wave plugin disabled. But unfortunately it doesn't change a thing.

I can update the device value to anything and it will be reflected in the device properties/advanced tab, but the icon and/or device string doesn't change. Same for changing the devicestring, again it is reflected in the device properties but not on the overview page. With or without Z-Wave PI enabled.

I even tried to add some device graphics on the Status Graphics tab. That doesn't work either. No way I can change this Root device...
              stefxx

Comment

I had several Root devices that went to unknown status since early June. The value and the graphics must be stored in the device in some areas we don't have access to. None of these are battery operated devices. Of the 5 or 6 all but two have healed themselves. Remaining is a HS-WD100+ and an Aeotec smart strip. If you look at the advanced tab there is no difference in value, status or string between a device showing "No Status" and another showing "Unknown". They both show the Status as 0 = Off, the Value as 0 and the String as "No Status".

I have no idea what causes or clears the problem, possibly some values that can be set by scripting calls.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

More than six months later I have found a solution... I stumbled on it by accident when browsing the forum. This is what fixed it for me:

&hs.DeviceInvalidValue(1610) = False

It then showed the device "Off" with the normal Off icon. To get the normal black gear icon back with the correct text, I did this:

&hs.SetDeviceString(1610, "No Status", True)

Perhaps it helps someone else as well.
                  Last edited by stefxx; June 2, 2018, 01:48 PM.
                  stefxx

Comment

For me, the first command appears to run successfully, but the icon and status does not change from the Unknown and Red Icon.

When attempting to run the second command (using the proper device identifier), all it ever returns is this statement:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.Cannot find the requested class member.

Comment

I only had one root device with the Red Question Mark icon, so I can't test it any further since it is resolved for me now...

Are you sure you changed 1610 to the device ref of your own root device that is showing this issue?
                      stefxx

Comment

Sure did. I have two root devices that show Unknown - 149 and 3776. Tried to run them both several times each, all with the same result.

I found that if I ran the command this way, I would not get the error message:

&hs.SetDeviceString(3776,"No Status",True)

It just would not have any effect. If I look at the string under the Advanced tab of the root device, you can see the status appears correct, but the unknown state and icon persist:

Reference ID 3776
                        Technology Address xxxxxxx-031
                        Status 0 = OFF
                        Value 0
                        String No Status

Both of these are Aeon Labs Smart Strips, and I suspect that something about them causes this. I have a third one that has never done it, though, after more than a year in service. Weird.

Comment

Pretty much the only thing I have found that fixes this is a total exclude and re-inclusion of the device. That's not really an acceptable solution in my opinion, considering the amount of work involved in replacing the newly added device in events, etc.

I am not even certain what causes this, since it can affect one device while others of the same model are unaffected, and it can happen after the device has been in service for a long period of time.

There has to be a better fix for this.

Comment

Has there ever been a better fix for this issue? I have two more devices that have suddenly developed the root device shows Unknown instead of No Status issue.

This is a very annoying problem that needs to be addressed. Removing and re-adding the device, and having to fix all the associated event programming, is not a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
                              Has there ever been a better fix for this issue? I have two more devices that have suddenly developed the root device shows Unknown instead of No Status issue.

This is a very annoying problem that needs to be addressed. Removing and re-adding the device, and having to fix all the associated event programming, is not a solution.
                              I found the answer since I posted above last July. You do not need to exclude and include. It is a field on the device you cannot see. Run this command from the control panel or Event:

&hs.DeviceInvalidValue(1234) = False

Replace 1234 with the device RefID.

You may also have to clear the string if one has been written.
                              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                              X