Pushing data to third party Syslog service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing data to third party Syslog service

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

This is my primary coding goal this weekend. I have my syslog receiver setup and ready to accept HomeSeer log messages

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ok, good that it is only your primary coding goal. I am sure that you have more important things to do.

But, we do appreciate this feature and have been looking forward to it for a while.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
        This is my primary coding goal this weekend. I have my syslog receiver setup and ready to accept HomeSeer log messages

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Just a thought..... there are those of us (like me) that would like to use a syslog, but need a bit of tech help/prompting. Is there a good open source way to do this? Where is the best place to install the server.
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
          Just a thought..... there are those of us (like me) that would like to use a syslog, but need a bit of tech help/prompting. Is there a good open source way to do this? Where is the best place to install the server.

If you are just getting started you don't need anything more than this plugin. It acts as a syslog service along with the benefits of being able to interact fully with the HS3 event engine.

Currently I am using it to trigger events based on text matches from the HS3 logs AND on text and type matches from my Unifi WIFI logs which are forwarded to the plugin.

I think the folks on here asking for this enhancement already had standalone syslog servers (I may be wrong on this) but I haven't found any cases that I can't handle with the plugin as-is.

Give it a trial.
          cheeryfool

Comment

Comment

Obviously, then, I'm doing something wrong. Nothing shows in the syslog tab..... Syslog has been enabled for quite some time, yet, no entries in the log.....

Am I missing a client or starting a service or ????
              Last edited by ewkearns; December 9, 2017, 11:04 AM.
              Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Comment

I am quickly discovering there is no standards when writing messages to the HomeSeer log. I'll do my best to format the output from the HomeSeer log to the syslog protocol.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones
                  Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Sure...

I would be completely happy with the entire Type/Error and Message/Source fields being in the text body if you know what I mean. So treat all of them as Informational as part of the protocol definition. If I remember correctly.

For now that is good enough for me.

Comment

Obviously, then, I'm doing something wrong. Nothing shows in the syslog tab..... Syslog has been enabled for quite some time, yet, no entries in the log.....

Am I missing a client or starting a service or ????

This is how I have mine configured:

In case you have anything different set.

HS3 logs just show up with it set this way. For my Unifi logs I just direct them to the HS3 IP leaving the port null, which uses the default syslog port - UDP 514
                      cheeryfool

Comment

I guess what I'm not really following is whether or not Ultralog3 is acting as a syslog server. I've never had a problem with looking at the HS3 logs, but I've never had syslog working.

My configuration is the same as yours, BUT I don't have an Ubiquity router (or even a DD-WRT one).
                        Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

I guess what I'm not really following is whether or not Ultralog3 is acting as a syslog server. I've never had a problem with looking at the HS3 logs, but I've never had syslog working.

My configuration is the same as yours, BUT I don't have an Ubiquity router (or even a DD-WRT one).

Well then, what are you wanting to use the syslog server in UltraLog for? If you don't have anything sending logs to it the syslog portion of the plugin won't do anything. Am I missing something here?
                          Originally posted by rprade
                          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Might this be a good time...

Was wondering if this might be a good time to fix the records per page item? Currently it is greyed out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1194270

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                              Well then, what are you wanting to use the syslog server in UltraLog for? If you don't have anything sending logs to it the syslog portion of the plugin won't do anything. Am I missing something here?
                              No, you aren't, I am.... and that is a basic understanding of what I "know." How does syslog work? Everything I read implies that every network device is a syslog client, by default, and chattering on (at least) port 514. Then, there is a syslog listener listening for the traffic and server accumulating the messages. Is that another piece of software/hardware or, as stated above, is it truly the case that "This plugin is self sufficient."

So, I guess my confusion boils down to this:

1) Do all network devices send syslog messages and, if so, does it require configuration per device? I.E. does that feature need to be "turned on?"

2) What hard and/or soft ware performs the task of listening?

3) What hard and/or soft ware performs the task of the server and is it necessarily separate from the listener?

4) Where does Ultralog fit into this scenario?

5) What do I need to make this work?

Either I am guilty of not being able to see the forest for the trees, or this is one of the most poorly explained topics on the Internet.

If I am looking at this correctly, many of the recent issues of HS3 errors would have been (for me, at least) easier to comprehend and trace, if I could have aggregated messages from the network computers. If I've got this correctly, I think a lot of other folks would benefit from ULTRA's logging PI, if they knew about syslog and how it works.... if it has the capability I understand it has.... and is implementable without too much angst.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated....
                              Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Working...
                              X