Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For general use USB is great, but when it comes to HA devices, I much prefer RS232/RS422/RS485. It's easier to extend the wiring over twisted pair directly or send the serial over IP. I also like devices which support IP directly. I would rank USB as my least favorite interface as it has presented the most problems for me when integrating HA peripherals.

Also, many HA devices have very low bandwith requirements and do not require the multi Mbit/sec provided by USB.

Regards,
    Don

Comment

Here are couple of other reasons:

1) The device is general purpose, so it can be used on other equipment that does not have USB ports. We may not be offering it for this, but that is how the box was originally designed.

2) You may not have your I/O devices located at your PC. It is hard to extend USB, but serial can be extended 50 plus feet, or the unit can be attached to one of our Ethernet-to-Serial adapters so you can install it at another location.

Bottom line is serial is still much more flexible than USB.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

One issue with serial devices is that every device requires a serial to USB adapter. That can start getting expensive and, after a few devices, you need a USB hub which adds more to the cost.

I like to use a 4 port serial to USB adapter. It's just like a single port serial to USB except it has 4 DB9 connectors on the box. Each port has it's own COM port in Windows. Very compact, works well and is a cleaner solution to using individual serial to USB adapters (plus hub).

May I suggest HomeSeer look into stocking something like this?

Armand

Comment

I can get a USB to 4 port adapter, your cost would be about $80. If there is interest, I can add it to our store. We already carry a 2 port one.

Originally posted by ArmandGirard View Post
          One issue with serial devices is that every device requires a serial to USB adapter. That can start getting expensive and, after a few devices, you need a USB hub which adds more to the cost.

I like to use a 4 port serial to USB adapter. It's just like a single port serial to USB except it has 4 DB9 connectors on the box. Each port has it's own COM port in Windows. Very compact, works well and is a cleaner solution to using individual serial to USB adapters (plus hub).

May I suggest HomeSeer look into stocking something like this?

Armand

Comment

How do I add the Modules so they show up in the status page?

Comment

Can the analog ports be used as digital inputs. For example, shorting the signal should go to 255 and when off should be 0.

Just wondering how fast the change would show up in Homeseer. Is it instant or does it poll the analog ports?

Thanks

Comment

The analog inputs are analog only. I suppose you could apply 5 volts and just use that as a trigger. It would not be as fast as the digital inputs.

Originally posted by zakrzep View Post
                Can the analog ports be used as digital inputs. For example, shorting the signal should go to 255 and when off should be 0.

Just wondering how fast the change would show up in Homeseer. Is it instant or does it poll the analog ports?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  The analog inputs are analog only. I suppose you could apply 5 volts and just use that as a trigger. It would not be as fast as the digital inputs.
                  Applying 5v is what I meant to say in my prevoious post. So what do you mean by not as fast? Does homeseer poll it ever x seconds?

Thanks

Comment

You specify the polling in the ADIO config screen, so I think 1 second is as fast as you can set it.

Originally posted by zakrzep View Post
                    Applying 5v is what I meant to say in my prevoious post. So what do you mean by not as fast? Does homeseer poll it ever x seconds?

Thanks

Comment

USB to Serial adapters

I started out with a bunch of the singe FT based USB serial adapters. After about 4 or 5, the devices started shifting and getting confused at times. Throw in a wireless USB hub and that just adds to the fun.

Someone mentioned a USB based multi-serial port product - Edgeport. They are kind of pricey but they come in 2, 4, 8, 16 ports. They are awesome.

Drivers install automatically, has a config wizard, can assign each port to specific COM port. Love it.

Screw wired Ethernet. Give me Serial or give me Wifi.

Love my Edgeport (s)... They are silly priced new, though. Best bet is eBay around $90 for an 8 port. There's a China clone for $50.00, got one of those, too but have not plugged it in yet.

Just got this ADIO-100. Going to use the digital inputs to tell HS to tell the AP400 which mic to turn on. Push button on the mic.. 1/0

My $.02

Comment

just found this product and it sounds interesting. Much more expensive than what I was looking for but it will allow for future use also so that's will make it worth it. My application is in receiving a momentary contact closure from a liftmaster 635lm universal garage opener receiver. I tried to use it with a door/window sensor but the momentary closure of the 635lm relay I guess is too fast to detect. I read the manual for the ADIO-100 and it doesn't really say anything in regards to this. Are the digital inputs polled like the analog or are they instant and if instant how long does the input signal have to be pulled high for to be detected? Can an event be triggered on either a change from 0v to 5V and 5V to 0v
                        Thanks,
                        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by ed08724 View Post
                          just found this product and it sounds interesting. Much more expensive than what I was looking for but it will allow for future use also so that's will make it worth it. My application is in receiving a momentary contact closure from a liftmaster 635lm universal garage opener receiver. I tried to use it with a door/window sensor but the momentary closure of the 635lm relay I guess is too fast to detect. I read the manual for the ADIO-100 and it doesn't really say anything in regards to this. Are the digital inputs polled like the analog or are they instant and if instant how long does the input signal have to be pulled high for to be detected? Can an event be triggered on either a change from 0v to 5V and 5V to 0v
                          Thanks,
                          Ed

I believe the plug-in polls the device every second (configurable, but not any faster than 1 second).

There is an Analog Value Sensitivity setting (set to 40) but no idea what that is for?

HTH,

Ed

Comment

The digital inputs update HS whenever a change happens, so this is instant. Th e polling is for the analog inputs only.

Originally posted by Eddiie View Post
                            I believe the plug-in polls the device every second (configurable, but not any faster than 1 second).

There is an Analog Value Sensitivity setting (set to 40) but no idea what that is for?

HTH,

Ed

Comment

Help - Analog Light Sensor

I want HomeSeer to be able to get Light intensity data. I think a combination of the ADIO-100 and some kind of Photodetector. I want to place these both inside and outside of my home.

I would like this to yield a HomeSeer device that will have a value from say 0 to 100 based on light level.

What kind of setup might I need to accomplish this? I would run CAT5e cable from the ADIO-100 to the Photodetector, will this work for 100ft of CAT5e cable?

Thanks for the help.

Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
                              jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Is this the wrong forum to ask my question? The product says it can detect light levels.
                                Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
                                jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Working...
                                X