Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy Setpoints causing family to melt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Setpoints causing family to melt...

Hello,
    I'm getting some serious weirdness with one of my Zwave thermostats. Quite often it is adopting a very high setpoint in the early morning. This thermostat is supposed to be a 62 overnight and go to 65 at 6.30am.

It doesn't happen every day, but it did today and here's the relevant part of the HS log. (I've turned on detailed BLStat logging now).

Two things really jump out at me:
    1. The setpoint was set to 1704.4F at 6:45:48. This is obviously wrong, but perhaps could be explained by a failing thermostat going crazy??

2. The CAPI control handler tried to set the device to 90 at 6.45am. That is wrong, but seems to be coming from HS3/BLStat ??? Is that the correct way to interpret that message?

The Zwave optimization/audit of the device is fine, and the thermostat has been working fine for quite a long time. This is new behavior.

Is this simply a thermostat dying and going crazy?
    Doug

Nov-01 6:45:55 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Operating State Set to Operating State 1
    Nov-01 6:45:55 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Setpoint Set to Setpoint 85 (F)
    Nov-01 6:45:54 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Setpoint Set to 90

Nov-01 6:45:49 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Setpoint Set to Setpoint 66 (F)
    Nov-01 6:45:49 AM Device Control Device: Main Front room Setpoint to 90 F (90) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Nov-01 6:45:48 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Setpoint Set to Setpoint 66 (F)
    Nov-01 6:45:48 AM Z-Wave Device: Main Front room Setpoint Set to Setpoint 1704.4 (F)

That is a crazy setpoint - I would lean towards the thermostat going nuts
    Is there a reset you could do on the thermostat. Perhaps delete it and re-add it to HS3
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

It happened with a different thermostat!

This time the anomalous setting was 95F, which let to a very very hot house, and complaining from the family...

I am having trouble tracking this down. It is not very frequent, and so running the current logging is impractical on my HS computer because of the size of the log files after a few days.

I would really appreciate some help with tracking this down, and I think a bit more flexibility in the logging would be an excellent way to make progress.
      cheers
      Doug

Comment

I think there is a scripting call to enable and disable debug logging but I will verify once I am home
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

There are 2 scripting calls

hs.PluginFunction("BLStat", "", "EnableDebugLogging", Nothing)
          hs.PluginFunction("BLStat", "", "DisableDebugLogging", Nothing)
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

So, can I just run a script every day at midnight to disable, then re-enable, the debug logging, and so overwrite the old file?

Comment

The log will append to the debug log
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

I see,
                So I'll need a script that includes deleting the old file, to prevent my disk filling up. I'll also see if I can try to trap the error somehow and notify me and/or copy that day's file just to be sure I have a record. Time to brush the dust of my scripting...

Comment

Blade,
                  I have here a fragment of the debug log when I had an incident of a thermostat going to a crazy temperature.
                  I have three Honeywell ZWstats that have started to sometimes show this behavior. This makes me think it is a system problem, but not necessarily software. Perhaps there is noise on the supply voltage that is causing them problems???

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at this file and let me know what you think is going on. Around line 22 there is a entry like this:

01/10/2018 06:32:58:210 PM : v2.0.70.0 - HSEventFunctions.Process_HS_Event(): newValue --> 149
                  01/10/2018 06:32:58:210 PM : v2.0.70.0 - HSEventFunctions.Process_HS_Event(): oldValue --> 65

Is this HS receiving a new value from the thermostat? Is this evidence that the crazyness is coming from the thermostat?

Regards
                  Doug
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is saying that HS3 received a new value of 149 from the thermostat which seems odd to me

01/10/2018 06:32:58:210 PM : v2.0.70.0 - HSEventFunctions.Process_HS_Event(): newValue --> 149
                    01/10/2018 06:32:58:210 PM : v2.0.70.0 - HSEventFunctions.Process_HS_Event(): oldValue --> 65

I am thinking something is wrong with that thermostat
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

Indeed. The weird thing is that three of them (out of 4) have done this. I think I must have something flakey in the power supply, or something. It's hard to track down, because it doesn't happen very often. When it does, it's obnoxious!

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DMcKnight View Post
                        Indeed. The weird thing is that three of them (out of 4) have done this. I think I must have something flakey in the power supply, or something. It's hard to track down, because it doesn't happen very often. When it does, it's obnoxious!

Doug
                        Hey Doug,
                        Just a thought but do these therms have a battery backup inside them? Maybe the config is corrupted somehow with invalid info. Change the batteries and see if it happens again.

PCK (Pete)

Comment

Hi Bob,

I just installed two ZWave Stats and your plugin and am experiencing similar issues. I loaded a schedule and at one point one of my thermostats set point changed to a value that is not part of my schedule. Here are the plugin log statements showing the changes. The erroneous setting happened at 6:08 PM with the Den Thermostat. it went from the scheduled heat set point of 67 to 85!

2/8/2018 6:08:43 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 86
                          2/8/2018 6:08:43 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 86
                          2/8/2018 6:08:42 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 88
                          2/8/2018 6:08:42 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 86
                          2/8/2018 6:08:42 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 86
                          2/8/2018 6:08:42 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 88
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 71
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 71
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 85
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 63
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 85
                          2/8/2018 6:08:37 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 63
                          2/8/2018 6:06:11 PM Information Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Temperature has changed to 64
                          2/8/2018 5:53:34 PM Information Den Thermostat (1) Temperature has changed to 63
                          2/8/2018 5:49:21 PM Information Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) System is now Heating
                          2/8/2018 5:49:17 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:17 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:17 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:17 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:14 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Cool Setpoint set to 77
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Den Thermostat (1) Schedule: Normal has been loaded
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Heat Setpoint set to 67
                          2/8/2018 5:49:13 PM Action Master Bedroom Thermostat (2) Schedule: Normal has been loaded

Here is the actual Homeseer Log entries.

Feb-08 18:08:37 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 71 F (71) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                          Feb-08 18:08:37 Pushover 3P Pushover Notification Sent - Message Title DSC Panel Update
                          Feb-08 18:08:37 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 85 F (85) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                          Feb-08 18:08:37 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 63 F (63) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                          Feb-08 18:08:37 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Mode to Auto (3) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

I am running version 2.0.70.0 of BLStat on HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.372.

Is there any additional logging you would like me to capture?

I have also include the NODE information for each thermostat.

Judd
                          Attached Files

Comment

Turn on debug logging on the options page in the plugin and capture this happening
                            Then once you have it, turn off debug logging and attach the BLStat-Detailed.log zipped here
                            It is in the HS3 root folder
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

Okay is happened again tonight. Here are the HS Log entries

Feb-09 18:02:53 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Cooling Setpoint to 86 F (86) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                              Feb-09 18:02:53 Z-Wave Device: Thermostats Den Cooling Setpoint Set to Setpoint 88 (F)
                              Feb-09 18:02:47 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 71 F (71) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                              Feb-09 18:02:47 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 85 F (85) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                              Feb-09 18:02:47 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Heating Setpoint to 63 F (63) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                              Feb-09 18:02:47 Device Control Device: Thermostats Den Mode to Auto (3) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

You can see the Neat Setpoint go from 63 to 85 and then 71. These changes were not done by anyone.

I have also attached the debug log around that time.

I had to trim it due to its size.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X