This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Service: Remote connection not allowed

Hi, and thanks to the developers for a wonderful program. I just have to buy it at the end of the trial period.

However, I've come across a little problem. When I run HomeSeer as an application everything works fine and I'm able to connect to HomeSeer on my remote IP using forwarding on port 81 (Apache is running on port 80).

However, when I try to install HomeSeer as a Service it still responds to my commands locally (at http://localhost:81) but I'm not allowed to connect remotely any more (http://84.xx.xx.xx:81 times out).

Is there anything I can do about it? I'd love to run HomeSeer as a Service...

EDIT: See bottom the simple solution. It's not a homeseer issue, it was a matter of configuring the firewall...
    Last edited by Moskus; September 11, 2007, 01:20 AM.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Are you using a NAT router as a firewall? if so, you need to open port 81 in this case on the router and route it to the HS machine again on port 81.

or you can open a different port (eg the default 80) on your external address and route it to 81 on the HS machine so you would then get access externally without worrying about the port number.

Comment

I have forwarded port 81 (as I said port 80 is used and forwarded to Apache). And it works great on my remote IP when I run HomeSeer as an application, just not when I install and run it as a service...
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I run it as a service and it is fine. so it can work!

check your log at startup. this is in the LOGS directory and is usually the last file (each day HS renames the log at midnight to something with the date in it).

in the log (just a text file) you will see the asp server started on port xxx. that's where i suspect you could find it's on a different port from that which you expect.

Simon

Comment

It shows up as before:
          11.09.2007 08:20:20 - Info - Web Server started on port 81

EDIT: One thought hit me. The Windows Firewall is configured for "homeseer2.exe", but not the service. Of course, adding the port 81 to the exception list helped...

I really have to stop being an idiot.

Comment

Working...
          X