HS3 Serial RS232 Direct Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Serial RS232 Direct Control

I'm not very good at coding and had a plugin with HS2 that handled my LG TV. I have all the ASCII commands but am not having any luck with my limited knowledge. I looked at the Drule pluging but there doesn't really seam to be much instruction as to how to control serial directly, if it's even possible.

Anyone out there using anything else, or have another solution?

There are quite a few serial scripts floating around here to just send serial data to a serial port, if you search around there should be some simple examples just to send simple string data which the TV accepts.

When I wrote the LGTV plugin there was no real need to make a plugin and it made it unnecessarily complex because of the slightly different command sets on the different TV models so I think personally the way forward is a script. The slightly better thing being with HS3 is devices are a little more powerful and it can visually look quite good.

I'm in the market for a new TV and was looking at an LG for this very feature to control from HS but whilst some have the feature labelled 'RS-232C (Control / SVC) Side USB to RS232C' which I take to be a serial control I then look at the manual for the model there is zero mention of any protocol and nothing in the diagrams to suggest any USB connection so I am confused.

I'm not sure on the Drule plugin, I have never used it so can't comment.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      I'm in the market for a new TV and was looking at an LG for this very feature to control from HS but whilst some have the feature labelled 'RS-232C (Control / SVC) Side USB to RS232C' which I take to be a serial control I then look at the manual for the model there is zero mention of any protocol and nothing in the diagrams to suggest any USB connection so I am confused.
      Hi Adam, this site shows how to use the USB port: http://lgrs232.com/.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I am using drule's Serial / IP PlugIn to control my Samsung TVs. I turn them on using a serial command through the ex-link service port (3.5mm stereo jack) and then everything else using IP.

I can provide config examples if anyone needs them
        cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          Hi Adam, this site shows how to use the USB port: http://lgrs232.com/.

Cheers
          Al
          Al that helps thanks, I was thinking a bit backwards (and still think it is backwards). I saw the USB A connector on the TV and thought that for the TV to act as a serial device to connect to a PC then it would have a B connector and then the TV has the USB>Serial converter built into the TV. Instead it looks like I would need to converters, one from the TV then a crossover to go back into a USB serial to connect to the PC, seems a little wasteful but it seems one of the few TV manufacturers that have the option to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            Al that helps thanks, I was thinking a bit backwards (and still think it is backwards). I saw the USB A connector on the TV and thought that for the TV to act as a serial device to connect to a PC then it would have a B connector and then the TV has the USB>Serial converter built into the TV. Instead it looks like I would need to converters, one from the TV then a crossover to go back into a USB serial to connect to the PC, seems a little wasteful but it seems one of the few TV manufacturers that have the option to me.
            Yes, doesn't make much sense if you don't have a serial port on your PC. I wonder if the PC will recognize the the LG TV as a serial device if you connect the PC's USB port directly to the TV? Might be able to make it work with a bluetooth to serial module connected to the USB to serial converter and then the PC can connect using bluetooth.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              I am using drule's Serial / IP PlugIn to control my Samsung TVs. I turn them on using a serial command through the ex-link service port (3.5mm stereo jack) and then everything else using IP.

I can provide config examples if anyone needs them
              Hi Cheeryfool,
              I have a Marantz AV Receiver. Want to control it using drule's serial / ip plugin. Already set up the IP address for my marantz and put in the serial command code from the marantz rs232 command code list.
              example:
              1)PWON<CR>
              2)PWSTANDBY<CR>
              When I fire the event command in HS3, nothing happend. I suspect I put in the command wrong. Do I have to put in some sign in front of the command code?

Please help

Comment

Originally posted by cyf4746 View Post
                Hi Cheeryfool,
                I have a Marantz AV Receiver. Want to control it using drule's serial / ip plugin. Already set up the IP address for my marantz and put in the serial command code from the marantz rs232 command code list.
                example:
                1)PWON<CR>
                2)PWSTANDBY<CR>
                When I fire the event command in HS3, nothing happend. I suspect I put in the command wrong. Do I have to put in some sign in front of the command code?

Please help
                Hi
                Can you provide the following please?

1. Screenshot of your Serial Ports, Connections and Commands tabs from the plugin setup

2. HS Log extracts showing when you enable the plugin (disable it beforehand).

3. Model number of your Marantz receiver

Then we can take a good look at getting you going

Cheers
                James
                cheeryfool

Comment

Hi
                  Can you provide the following please?

1. Screenshot of your Serial Ports, Connections and Commands tabs from the plugin setup

2. HS Log extracts showing when you enable the plugin (disable it beforehand).

3. Model number of your Marantz receiver

Then we can take a good look at getting you going

Cheers
                  James

Hi James,
                  Attached are the screenshot on the plugin setting page and hs log.
                  My marantz av receiver model is SR7009.

Thanks for your help.

Chin
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi James,
                    Attached are the screenshot on the plugin setting page and hs log.
                    My marantz av receiver model is SR7009.

Thanks for your help.

Chin
                    Chin

I think the first problem is the port that you have configured in your connection. The RS232 / IP control spreadsheet available from the Marantz website suggests that the connection uses the telnet port: 23, so I would try changing that first.

Then disable / enable the plugin (just the plugin, you don't need to restart HS3) and observe the log to see if the connection actually connects this time, instead of failing per your screenshot. You can also test this from a windows command prompt with the command: telnet 192.168.0.88

If that's successful, then try the command again. I think however, you may be better off trying C-Escaped as the command type and then replacing <CR> with \r e.g. the command would be: PWSTANDBY\r

Let me know if this helps at all and if no luck, then post the same screenshots with the settings as above.

Cheers
                    James
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Chin

I think the first problem is the port that you have configured in your connection. The RS232 / IP control spreadsheet available from the Marantz website suggests that the connection uses the telnet port: 23, so I would try changing that first.

Then disable / enable the plugin (just the plugin, you don't need to restart HS3) and observe the log to see if the connection actually connects this time, instead of failing per your screenshot. You can also test this from a windows command prompt with the command: telnet 192.168.0.88

If that's successful, then try the command again. I think however, you may be better off trying C-Escaped as the command type and then replacing <CR> with \r e.g. the command would be: PWSTANDBY\r

Let me know if this helps at all and if no luck, then post the same screenshots with the settings as above.

Cheers
                      James
                      Hi James,
                      Thanks for your advice.
                      Will let you know once I tried.

Chin

Comment

Chin

Cheers
                        James
                        Hi James,
                        I tested my Marantz AV received. All perfect. With port cahnge to 23, and command with "\".
                        Thanks for your help.
                        Another issue is. Do you have any ideas to use the slider to control the volume with rs232 command?

Chin

Comment

Hi James,
                          I tested my Marantz AV received. All perfect. With port cahnge to 23, and command with "\".
                          Thanks for your help.
                          Another issue is. Do you have any ideas to use the slider to control the volume with rs232 command?

Chin
                          Chin

Is this a slider in HS Touch, or somewhere else?
                          cheeryfool

Comment

Chin

Is this a slider in HS Touch, or somewhere else?
                            Hi James,
                            Yes, I mean HS Touch Slider.

Chin

Comment

Hi James,
                              Yes, I mean HS Touch Slider.

Chin
                              I think I figured out a way to do this, using a virtual device to create the correct command string for any volume set with a slider - and this should include a slider in HSTouch. However I have discovered a bug in David's plugin, whereby it doesn't seem to allow us to send the virtual device status as the command as it's supposed to. He's going to take a look when he has some time.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X