Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you use a second HAI Omnistat 1000/2000 Thermostat as a remote head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you use a second HAI Omnistat 1000/2000 Thermostat as a remote head?

Hello,

When adding some Temp/Humidity Sensors to my system, I wanted to add one to the upstairs hall. The though occurred to me that I could add another Omnistat 2000 Thermostat I have laying around as it has a Temp/Humidity Sensor. That said, I only have one HVAC Unit downstairs with an Omnistat 2000 Thermostat. I suspect I could add the second thermostat with no HVAC unit attached as long as I provide it power from the transformer, then the unit could be brought into the plug-in as a secondary thermostat with the serial cable. The only part I would need confirmation of is whether the setpoints could be copied from one thermostat to the other via events, etc. I would want to make sure that when the upstairs level is set to 68 for AC that the downstairs would change to that as well. The point being that the upstairs unit would obviously not be the controlling unit so the Temp doesn't necessarily mean the unit activates when the setpoint exceeds the mark but could it set/show status of the primary thermostat?

Basically a remote head for the primary downstairs unit.....I just am not sure if the API is limited and there is something that cannot be reflected in this scenario.

Any confirmed info is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Travis

Hi Travis,
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would need a series of events on both thermostats for all the control devices (Heat Sp, Cool Sp, Occupancy, Fan, Mode, etc.) Additionally you would need one set of events monitoring the real thermostat for changes in temperature, current mode,humidity etc.

The code to make the change in the other thermostat would look something like this:
    Code:
    &shs.SetDeviceValueByRef(111,(double)hs.DeviceValue(222));
    where Ref ID 111 is the thermostat that you are syncing and Ref ID 222 is the thermostat that changed.

A typical event would look like this:
    Attached Files

Comment

Thinking through this a little more...... You are going to have some funky results displaying on the remote head. For instance it will show that the unit is cooling or heating when it isn't. All of the statuses will be wrong.

Additionally you would need one set of events monitoring the real thermostat for changes in temperature, current mode,humidity etc.
      After rereading your post, I realize that you want the remote to show the temp and humidity at that location so you would not want to sync those. So this should work fine. You won't be able to sync the other statuses like current mode because it will be reset with the next poll.

Comment

Working...
      X