Remote Z-Nets Going Offline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Z-Nets Going Offline

I think back in the 2015-16 timeframe this issue came up and was supposedly resolved, but I'm seeing it frequently now. I have 3 Version 1.0.23 Z-Nets locally connected at 3 locations and they work flawlessly. I also have 3 Version 1.0.23 Z-Nets connected remotely to a couple of locations that occasionally drop their connection to HS3 and take between 10 minutes and hours to reconnect unless they are power cycled. Based on the old issues back in 2015-16, I tried disconnecting one of them and even after 10 minutes or so, the green light stayed on. I thought the code was fixed to prevent this issue. Anyone have any insight to this? BTW, all are connected via VPN tunnels and all are wired connection. The tunnels are very solid but they do go down briefly when the WAN provider occasionally changes the IP address, but that's a 1 minutes or so issue. I've also tried connecting via non-VPN connections and the behavior is the same.

There are various "versions" of version 1.0.23, depending on the update history...
    - on recently shipped US units (those which have the internal GPIO zwave controller), the communication fixes are present
    - on older units that had updates installed as they were released, the comm fixes would have been installed
    - on older units that have 1.0.23 installed but missed the previous updates (1.0.21, 1.0.22) won't have any/all of the comm fixes
    - on euro units and others with the external UZB zwave controller, the fixes are not installed.

If you are comfortable logging into the unit, this post has a couple of scripts that can help.

Comment

Not sure how comfortable I am in installing the scripts, but it looks straightforward. However, using pi and raspberry as the credentials doesn't seem to work on these recent units (bought from Homeseer a couple of months ago).

Any other credentials you may know?

login as: pi
      pi@192.168.1.138's password:
      Access denied

Comment

Your posts were terrific. In fact, the timeout fix was NOT installed even though this was a new unit. The instructions were easy to follow and now it has the 120 sec. timeout. I'll let this run for awhile and then checking the remaining units. It's hard to understand why new units from Homeseer don't have this fix, but I'm grateful for your help. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

It's puzzling that a stable product seems to have so many variations.

Comment

I have 6 Z-Nets all purchased new in the past year. None had the patch installed. I've patched all the ones operating remotely and they are functioning well. I'm wondering if someone thinks there's another fix in these new ones as shipped, but clearly they are malfunctioning remotely without setting a network timeout and can't be helping Homeseer's reputation. As shipped, they are not suitable for remote operation as advertised, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            X