Z-Net turning lights on/off by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Net turning lights on/off by itself

So I updated Homeseer and restarted the machine. Last evening, after we were asleep, the whole house audio came on at very high volume in the living room. Nothing in the log except more issues with connections to the Z-Net. I can't figure out how the Z-net could issue a command for a non-zwave device, but the only connections seems to strange events seem to be the Z-net.

Should I backup the Z-Net and do a factory restore?

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
      I can't figure out how the Z-net could issue a command for a non-zwave device
      Well, you're right. It's not possible. So I don't think it's your Z-NET that is misbehaving.

It kind of sound like somebody else has access to your system...

This:
      Code:
      Apr-30 7:19:42 AM	Z-Wave	Device: First Backroom Lights Set to 73
      Apr-30 7:19:41 AM	Device Control	Device: First Backroom Lights to Dim 1% (73) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
      ... is first HomeSeer receiving the command (via CAPI; someone has clicked on a command), and then the Z-wave plugin informing you that the command was executed.

HomeSeer is apparently doing what it is told to.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I don't see anything in the logs - But someone could be controlling the lights and music through the HSTouch machine in the kitchen. That Win10 PC is 99% used for HSTouch and nothing else.

Do you have suggestions for where I should look for external access?

Thanks

Comment

Have you used port forwarding to access HS from outside the house?
          Are you using MyHS?
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
            Have you used port forwarding to access HS from outside the house?
            Are you using MyHS?
            Yes to both.

Comment

Then someone might have hacked your system, for all we know. Apparently, it's not that hard if you're not using SSL.

Are you logging remote (or even local) connections?
              (See Tools ->Setup -> Network)

Comment

Then someone might have hacked your system, for all we know. Apparently, it's not that hard if you're not using SSL.

Are you logging remote (or even local) connections?
                (See Tools ->Setup -> Network)
                Yes logging both local and remote logins.

The kitchen computer is not port forwarded.

What steps would you take at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
                  Yes logging both local and remote logins.

The kitchen computer is not port forwarded.

What steps would you take at this point?
                  Barry

I'd temporarily shutoff all external access whether port forwarding or myhs. Also change the HS webserver port. Change the passwords on all HS3 users.

If that doesn't stop it, it might be someone in the house

If it does stop it, then you could try reverting the other changes to see when/if the problem starts recurring

Good luck
                  James
                  cheeryfool

Comment

This actually DID happen to us. I don't believe it's common, but it actually happened!

We have a 24" touch screen mounted to the kitchen wall, connected to a PC running HStouch. One night we were suddenly woken by the sound of one of the kids roller blinds going up! Also random lights were on! WHT, right?!

I ran downstairs, and don't you know, the touch screen shows what's going on! Random lights are getting turned on. Strange!

Until I put my glasses on.
                    A small fly was walking across the touch screen triggering buttons and sliders.
                    Well, after that I set up a switch to turn of the monitor at night time. Problem was solved. This was a couple of years ago, haven't happened again since...

Comment

This actually DID happen to us. I don't believe it's common, but it actually happened!

We have a 24" touch screen mounted to the kitchen wall, connected to a PC running HStouch. One night we were suddenly woken by the sound of one of the kids roller blinds going up! Also random lights were on! WHT, right?!

I ran downstairs, and don't you know, the touch screen shows what's going on! Random lights are getting turned on. Strange!

Well, after that I set up a switch to turn of the monitor at night time. Problem was solved. This was a couple of years ago, haven't happened again since...
                      One that got me before as well....

Do you have cats and or dogs?

If so make sure your computer is locked before bed or the web page closed and tablets are locked or screen down etc. I had weird things happen and it was my cats walking on my keyboard and cats and dogs walking on the tablets on the couch, laying on the tablets etc.

Comment

This is a 19" touchscreen that we use for TV viewing and HSTouch. The monitor is on at night. I will turn it off. I did notice this morning that it was on a different screen than main.

I have also done as suggested and shut off portwarding and MyHS. I checked with the dog and he said a) he was a sleep in our bedroom and 2 he wouldn't allow a cat in the house.

On a more serious note, I have an add-on touch screen panel for the monitor. So I would need to turn that off, in addition to the monitor at night. Not sure how to do that.

Thanks for all the help and ideas. I've been at this for 3 decades and in the early (late 1980s) my wife referred to the HA systems as "Demon Seed" - she said this morning - "He's back".....

Comment

Here using Wintel embedded for my Homeseer touchscreens. Using Jon00's remote application with agent I can control the hardware fine.

Lately just turn off the screens and they stay on and are sensitive to touch. I can hardwise wise disconnect the internal USB port connection to the touchscreen or what works is just suspending the computer at night and doing a wake up in the morning to it.

Way back tested the PipoX7 with a larger multitouch monitor. I could suspend it fine but not wake it up because the built in NIC was a USB NIC rather that a regular NIC on the motherboard of the PipoX7.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Decided to give a try to shutting off the USB connected touchscreens locally and remotely enabling. Initially downloaded devcon and then found an easier way to do this using Nirsoft stuff.

1 - Download Nirsoft USB Device View

Run the Nirsoft USB dev view program to find the USB driver for your touchscreen (if using a USB driver for touch).

[ATTACH]68545[/ATTACH]

2 - write a batch file connected to a touch off button on your screen or utilize Jon00's remote utility to send the following command to your touchscreen.

USBDeview.exe
                            Host Name: ICS-Jog-XPE-05
                            VendorID: 04b4
                            ProductID: 1974

Tested via VNC

Disable touch

USBDeview.exe /disable_by_pid {\\RemoteComputer} <VendorID;ProductID>

USBDeview.exe /disable_by_pid \\ICS-Jog-XPE-05 04b4;1974

C:\Documents and Settings\joggler>USBDeview.exe /disable_by_pid \\ICS-Jog-XPE-05 04b4;1974

Turned off touch. Mouse pointer is flickering. Typically leave the mouse icon on when using touch. HSTouch options - check hide mouse pointer

Enable touch

USBDeview.exe /enable_by_pid {\\RemoteComputer} <VendorID;ProductID>

USBDeview.exe /enable_by_pid \\ICS-Jog-XPE-05 04b4;1974

Turned on Touch.
                            Last edited by Pete; May 2, 2018, 09:44 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

At the risk of veering back on topic - there is something abnormal going on in the log in post #1.

Code:
                              Apr-30 3:14:59 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Controller firmware version: 4.32
                              Apr-30 3:14:59 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Controller Manufacturer: Express Controls, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
                              Apr-30 3:14:57 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                              Apr-30 3:14:57 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.
                              Apr-30 3:14:52 AM         Z-Wave Warning    Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.5...
                              Apr-30 3:14:52 AM         Z-Wave    Note: Only one system may connect to an  Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your  Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect.
                              Apr-30 3:14:40 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                              Apr-30 3:14:40 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.
                              Apr-30 3:14:35 AM         Z-Wave Warning    Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.5...
                              Apr-30 3:14:35 AM         Z-Wave    Note: Only one system may connect to an  Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your  Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect.
                              Apr-30 3:14:10 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                              Apr-30 3:14:10 AM         Z-Wave    Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.
                              Apr-30 3:14:10 AM         Z-Wave Error    Z-Net: Exception transmitting to IP  192.168.1.5: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An  existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
                              "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"
                              This means that the TCP connection from the z-wave plugin to the ser2net server on the z-net dropped. This doesn't happen under normal circumstances.
                              Likely culprits might be
                              • Link issues - is this a wireless link by chance?

• Z-net reboot - what is the power source? UPS, etc?

"Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time..." 12-25 seconds after the (normal) "Getting node information from controller..."
                              repeats twice as reconnects are attempted. ~45 seconds later, finally connects (revealing that the z-wave controller is an Express Controls EZZee, the GPIO daughter card used in the US Z-Net).

I have never seen the "only one system at a time..." message. Curious about this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X