Adding multiple Homeseer dimmer switches quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding multiple Homeseer dimmer switches quickly

Hi - please see this thread here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...00#post1333400

Essentially, I'm going to install about 40 Homeseer dimmer switches in my home. Z-tool is great, but when I name the devices I add, it only uses the name in one of the three created devices. That seems rediculous....since if I add all 40 at once, I'll have duplicate names for 2 of the 3 created devices for each of the switches. Why doesn't it use the name I type in for all three in some way?

Am I missing something?

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
    Hi - please see this thread here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...00#post1333400

Essentially, I'm going to install about 40 Homeseer dimmer switches in my home. Z-tool is great, but when I name the devices I add, it only uses the name in one of the three created devices. That seems rediculous....since if I add all 40 at once, I'll have duplicate names for 2 of the 3 created devices for each of the switches. Why doesn't it use the name I type in for all three in some way?

Am I missing something?
    When you enter a name in Z-tool it is naming the root, the Central Scene and Switch (binary or multilevel) are only left with generic names. That is how it works. I suppose they could append the child names to the name you assign for the root, but that wouldn't necessarily be ideal either.

Once the device is included, the two child devices are grouped with the root, so if you enable grouped view on the Device Manager page, it is easy enough to see to which root devices the child devices are attached and rename them. You can bulk add 40 switches, naming each one. Then when you go to the Device manager (in grouped view), 2 generically named child devices will be clearly linked with each named root device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1193119

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1193118
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks grouped view helps me clean it up.

Curious - why wouldn't it be better to just use the name as a prefix for "Central Scene" and "Switch"? In what scenario is it better for those to be unchanged with the same name?

Comment

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
        Thanks grouped view helps me clean it up.

Curious - why wouldn't it be better to just use the name as a prefix for "Central Scene" and "Switch"? In what scenario is it better for those to be unchanged with the same name?
        That would be fine, but that is not the convention I use for naming (though looking at my screenshot above, the device is almost named as you suggest), so I would be faced with renaming them anyway. I shorten Central Scene to Scene. Everyone has their own way of naming devices. The beauty of Z-Tool is that it will let you identify the device by naming the root as you include it.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Got it thanks. What naming convention do you use? Would love to learn the pros/cons you've developed that led to your style choices.

Comment

Working...
          X