Motion Sensor / Occupancy Sensor Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor / Occupancy Sensor Recommendations

I use Lutron RadioRA Classic for my lighting. I don't have any receivers for RadioRA 2, Z-wave, XP10, or other technologies. I've been using Dakota Alert motion sensors to directly control my lighting via a Lutron-SCI (switch closure interface). They work well, but don't communicate with my HS3, which limits complexity of triggers and events. I'd like to get some more motion sensors and/or occupancy sensors to work with my HS3. After detecting motion, I'd have HS3 trigger lighting events. The most important criteria for me are ~100% of motion events detected, fast response, and inexpensive.

Does anyone have recommendations for which motion sensors to choose?

You might have difficulty satisfying all your criteria perfectly, but given that you do not have z-wave, I'd recommend X10 wireless motion sensors, the WGL 800 RF receiver and the RFXCOM plug-in. The X10 motion sensors are inexpensive and work well, though not perfectly. The response of wireless X10 is quick, unlike PLC X10. I've been using them for years with good success, and with some effort get very reliable motion detection info into HS. An added bonus is that door and window sensors are also supported, and they also are inexpensive and work quite well.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Data10 View Post
      Does anyone have recommendations for which motion sensors to choose?

Do you have any interest in using zigbee?

Comment

I had this whole dissertation typed out and closed the browser before hitting "Submit Reply" That was hours ago and I'm just getting back to this. Here goes:

I use zigbee Jowihue plugin with a raspbee (you can also use a conbee) zigbee board. Additionally you need something that is the "router" if that is the right term. My "router" is a Phillips Hue bulb.

Then I have the following sensors, http://bit.ly/2Itlbst. They're tiny, lightning fast thanks to a great Jowihue plug-in and super cheap. No interference like X10 devices either. I also use Aqara door sensors and switches. Tiny and cheap!

I use the raspbee with a RPi3 but you could just plug a conbee into a windows pc USB port. Either way, you open up a brand new world of devices that work flawlessly within HS3. The zigbee devices are not as sophisticated as some z-wave. Go to aliexpress.com and search for zigbee.

Comment

Zigbee sounds very promising, and the sensors are just what I am looking for at a great price. I know very little about Zigbee. I am running HS3 on Windows, so it sounds like I'd need a Conbee or maybe there is a better option for windows PC implementations, as opposed to Hometroller? When I looked for Zigbee router options online, it wasn't obvious to me which Zigbee devices functioned as routers and which functioned as end devices. Is there a list of other Zigbee "router" device options besides Phillips Hue bulb somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Data10 View Post
            Zigbee sounds very promising, and the sensors are just what I am looking for at a great price. I know very little about Zigbee. I am running HS3 on Windows, so it sounds like I'd need a Conbee or maybe there is a better option for windows PC implementations, as opposed to Hometroller? When I looked for Zigbee router options online, it wasn't obvious to me which Zigbee devices functioned as routers and which functioned as end devices. Is there a list of other Zigbee "router" device options besides Phillips Hue bulb somewhere?

I have several Osram Lightify bulbs that act as a router. The osram plug does too. I use the conbee plugged into my laptop. Never had a problem not communicating. I have windows 10 and no problem there. I am not sure if there is a list of routers anywhere that I am aware of but someone else might.

Comment

I will throw this out for consideration.

I started with HomeSeer in January, 2014. I initially went with HomeSeer HSM100 sensors. They were OK, albeit a little unreliable and at that time there were intermittent and frustrating Z-Wave delays. These were also battery powered, requiring maintenance.

When the Aeotec Multi-sensor 6 came out, I switched to those, eventually connecting all of them to USB power. They were good and when powered were reliable participating members in the Z-Wave mesh. I also had Z-Wave door and window sensors around the house.

Then we decided we wanted a security system. I felt it would be a better plan to make the security independent of HomeSeer and decided on a DSC PC1864 with an RFK5500 keypad and wireless interface. I switched to a mixture of DSC and Bosch hardwired detectors. The DSC were pure PIR and the Bosch were dual mode (MW and PIR) for better false trigger rejection in a couple of locations. For doors and windows I went with DSC wireless sensors. It is reported these devices can work on a CR2032 cell for about 5 years - 2 years in and they are still good. They are also supervised, meaning they will report tamper or battery problems back to the panel.

The panel communicates with HomeSeer by the Envisalink EVL-4 board and Spud's plug-in. This allows me to use DSC motion controls in HS Events and allow HS to set security state as well as let security state control HS devices. The security system is autonomous and will function without HomeSeer being online. The motion sensors have about 1/2 second lag, about the same as Z-Wave, which is not a problem for us. The hardwired motion sensors are very good, the speed is reliable and they require no maintenance. In hindsight, I really wish I had gone with the security system in the first place, it would have saved a lot of duplicated effort.
              Last edited by randy; May 11, 2018, 03:26 PM.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I agree with Randy on the security system. I actually did the identical setup based off his recommendations and couldn't be happier with the setup. It took a little more work up front to install and setup security system, but it has been bulletproof to the point of forgetting about it.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                  I agree with Randy on the security system. I actually did the identical setup based off his recommendations and couldn't be happier with the setup. It took a little more work up front to install and setup security system, but it has been bulletproof to the point of forgetting about it.

Me 3. I have 12 wired motions in place - 5 more to go. I have the same panel, similar keypad, Envisalink, door/window sensors. I have one of three flood sensors installed. Very happy with both the stand alone and HomeSeer integration capabilities.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

I have little interest in having a security system, so getting one just to add motion sensors to HS3 seems like overkill. I like the Zigbee approach, but I'm still uncertain about which router device to use with Conbee and motion sensors. I take it any Phillips Hue bulb will work, such as the one at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016AEHUQ6..._t2_B073SSNNNH ? I'd prefer that the router be a wall plug, rather than a bulb. I see plenty of Zigbee wall plugs, but it's unclear to me which of them would work as routers for the Conbee. For example, the one of the question answers at https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZigB...277165&sr=1-1& mentions that this wall plug works as a Zigbee "repeater". Does that mean it will function as the router for Conbee + linked motion sensors? The JowiHue plugin summary makes it sound like the router options may be more limited unless the end devices use Zigbee 3.0, and I'm not sure whether the linked Xiaomi Aqara sensors use 3.0.

Comment

Working...
                    X