X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences using an Insteon Motion Sensor outdoor

All Insteon Users,

I believe these devices are rated for outdoor/outside use

I'm looking for feedback on your experiences of using an Insteon Motion Sensor outside...specifically on the following: longevity of the device (how long has it been operating outside), communications with the RF insteon network, and how well the sensor does at detecting motion outside.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

I have 3 outside. 2 currently I don't actively use (they are just installed). The one I use is under a covered porch and has worked very well. I know some pir motion sensors have issues with detecting in direct sunlight, but I don't use mine during the day that much. I use it for turning on the porch lights when it's dark and it works great! I do have it turn off the lights after no movement no matter the time of day and I haven't noticed the lights not turning off during the day, but we rarely turn them on during the day for obvious reasons.

My only gripe if that its hard to position. My old z-wave one would mount at a 45 degree angle, which was optimal for my setup. The insteon one does not. It works well enough though and I may make a 45 degree mount for it one day.

I am currently in the process of adjusting the light sensor so that I can use it to determine when to turn the lights on automatically or not instead of depending on sunrise/sunset. This way it will turn them on during storms or overcast days to when it gets darkish and a lot might be helpful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been using a 2842-222 Wireless Motion Sensor outside under a covered porch since Dec. 2013. It is paired directly to a 2477D in-wall dimmer just inside the house about 8ft. away. I use it to trigger front porch lights at night. It works very well for that purpose and detects motion as much as ~30-40ft away when batteries are fresh. Sometimes it may only detect motion @ ~15ft, probably low battery, not sure as I dont really pay much attention to it anymore. Think I've only changed the battery maybe 1x since I installed it.

Comment

Detection range will vary with temperature.

Comment

Working...
        X