Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 on QNAP NAS

Hi

Has anyone managed to load HS3 on a QNAP NAS? They have the ability to spin up a VM that uses Windows or Linux (Linux version are Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, OpenSuse).

It sounds like it should work. I have created the Windows VM but install seems to hang on the .NET component of the installation.

Thank you

Brian

What model? There are many different flavors. I have some QNAPs, but those are a bit older and don't think it's supported on mine.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HI

I bought the TS-453A. It comes with 4GB of RAM but I can upgrade it to 8GB if necessary. I have heard that a VM in QNAP is underpowered but I did not see that as an issue. My logic was that HS3 is pretty light so it would probably be good to run on a VM.

Got a Windows VM up but the Windows Updater only got about 1/3 of the updates installed. Now it just sits there and does nothing (not a good sign). That said, I tried to move forward with the HS3 install. The .NET component downloads but will not install. I am stuck.

That is why I was wondering if anyone had successfully done this. One alternative is to spin up a Linux VM. Linux is lighter than Windows but I do not know Linux at all. I can follow instructions but the HomeSeer download page has installation instructions for Debian. As said, I am hoping that someone else has already tried to do this. I am OK being a pioneer but I am not super technical.

If it fails then I am still good because I now have a powerful NAS for my DVDs and a backup server for my desktop. However that means that I am going to have to figure out a new platform for HS3. Was using an old PC but it died last month. If I have to forget the QNAP strategy, do you have any suggestions? I run a pretty basic setup with HS3, Mark Sandler's Insteon Plugin with prospects of installing Blade's DSC plugin down the road.

Brian

Comment

Ta-653a

I just bought two units I am interested to know if this is possible

Comment

TS-653a

I just bought two units I am interested to know if this is possible

Comment

HS3 on Qnap

Hi I'm running HS3 on a Qnap TS453A on A Windows 7 VM. It works very well but I upped the memory to 16gb and set the virtual machine to run on 4 cores. I tried to run iTunes with the iTunes daap plugin but it hasn't been successful so now I simply run HS3 and nothing else. The only problem I have is that some times my events can take a while (30 seconds) to happen. It's strange because if I operate the function manually its instantaneous. The best thing about the Qnap is snapshots of the VM and the fact I restart the Qnap every night automatically. Plus during operation the Qnap only pulls 14watts. The processors only peak out every now and then and it's usually due to movies being converted on the Qnap. I would suggest at minimum the TS453A with a Homeseer VM, Plex media server, Radar for Tv shows and Sonar for movies. Also the Qnap has its own secure cloud facility so you can remote into it anyware in the world without having to run a VPN or punch holes in your firewall.

Comment

I have been using a QNAP TVS-471 with HS3 VM in Virtualization Station. It took a few iterations to tweak but it is very stable and all my events run well. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer as best I can.

Comment

nuttynet,

many thanks for the update... I plan on a trial in the next few weeks....

Devoir

Comment

I've got a TVS-671 and prefer to run HS3 directly on it's own separate hardware. If only because I've used the windows phone plug-in stuff, which needs a direct USB connection. But also because having automation separate and independent means it won't get bogged down or disrupted when anything else needs to change.

The downside to running anything 'native' on a QNAP is their packaging format is.... challenging. That and you're at the mercy of whatever other firmware updates come along. I'm quite pleased with the one I've got, and happy with the VMs that run on it. But I'm likewise happy HS3 has been chugging along quite reliably on it's own Win10Pro Intel NUC, for actually a little longer than I've owned the QNAP.

Comment

@nuttynet I'm interested in installing HS3 on a QNAP NAS. Can you provide a few pointers on how you went about this? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X