Z-NET IGNORING STATIC-IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET IGNORING STATIC-IP

Even though parameters are set correctly. Sometimes after a server reboot or power failure (still trying to narrow it down) The Z-NET interface comes up in DHCP mode. I have to locate it's IP and just submit the screen as it remembers all parameters. Ideas? [ Reboot alone does not fix it]
    Attached Files

I've never really trusted some app's ability to assign a static IP. I just use my router's DHCP to assign a static IP based on the MAC. That way, it's always assigned.

It sounds like even though your Z-NET has a static IP, your router is assigning a new one. Possibly a duplicate IP on your network?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

While I essentially agree with Rob's suggestion of router assigned IP addresses by DHCP reservation, my Z-Net has been assigned a static IP since it was installed. It has never reverted to DHCP and it was installed as one of the first beta releases. I have restarted it a number of times (only from the Submit button on the web interface) and it always comes up as a static assignment. I initially had the Z-Net powered through an Arduino controlled relay so that I could remotely power cycle it. Since it proved to be so reliable, I switched to POE sourced power through a TP-Link splitter about a month in. Since my POE switch is UPS powered, my Z-Net has been powered up since about March. When I need it reset, I have just rebooted it through the web interface.

Is Your Z-Net still showing the settings as in your screenshot, but actually connecting on a different IP? Or is it showing DHCP when you find it at the new address? Either way, you need to find out what is triggering it to do so. Did you ever have a reservation in your router for the Z-Net's MAC address? Like Rob asked is there any chance that 192.168.0.150 is either a) assigned to some other device or 2) within the DHCP pool assigned in your router where something else might grab the IP before the Z-Net when the router is restarted. Mine never did when I was power cycling it frequently in the first month and it never has since switching to POE. Maybe you could experiment with power cycling the Z-Net and rebooting your router to see if any one thing triggers it to reset. I can't see anything else causing it, though I cannot see how the router could do it. You and I are running the same (latest) Z-Net software version.

If you can't isolate the reason it is reverting to DHCP, perhaps a DHCP reservation would at least put a band-aid on the problem.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

.150 is outside the dhcp range and after whatever it is assigned one inside the dhcp range. When I go to the parameter screen (1st screen shot) and submit it will reboot again and then has the .150 address

dhcp parms from router attached here
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rschein View Post
          .150 is outside the dhcp range and after whatever it is assigned one inside the dhcp range. When I go to the parameter screen (1st screen shot) and submit it will reboot again and then has the .150 address

dhcp parms from router attached here
          I'm out of ideas, I guess if you can identify exactly what process mucks it up, you should contact HST technical and see if they can help. It honestly seems like a problem in the Z-Net. I've never had a problem.

Comment

I ran into this same problem yesterday with one of my Z-Nets on my repeater monitoring system. I changed out an IP switch at the remote site and then I could no longer get my Z-Net to even respond to a ping. I took the Z-Net to a location where I had internet access and ran find.homeseer.com. It located the Z-Net on 192.168.1.30. The Z-Net has always been on a 172.28 network. When I clicked on the 192.168.1.30 link I found that all of my static assignments were still there and it was set up as static. I just resubmitted the already entered information and all was well. This is the only time this has happened since the system was put in service.

Bob

Comment

this seems to cause problem

1. shut down hs3 (Z-NET light turns red)
              2. reboot router
              3. restart hs3 before router is finished booting
              4. once router rebooted Z-NET is on DHCP Address
              5. resubmit parameters to Z-NET
              6. It returns to static-IP
              7. Sometimes it has to be reenabled in HS3 sometimes not

this is a similar sequence to my power fail rstart

Comment

1. shut down hs3 (Z-NET light turns red)
                2. reboot router
                3. restart hs3 before router is finished booting
                4. once router rebooted Z-NET is on DHCP Address
                5. resubmit parameters to Z-NET
                6. It returns to static-IP
                7. Sometimes it has to be reenabled in HS3 sometimes not

this is a similar sequence to my power fail rstart
                It sounds like you and Bob are having the same problem. One or both of you should start helpdesk tickets.

Comment

Curious what the /etc/network/interfaces file look like.

You can remove the SD card and plug it in to a Linux computer to have a look see.

Here utilize a mixture of static, small scope of DHCP, and a few assigned by MAC address DHCP.

These assigned by MAC addresses are for my HDHomerun boxes and in wall POE 3COM mini switches.

The RPi2's are all using static IP addressing. I have by accident turn on a box like an AP and left DHCP on on the LAN side which really would not cause your issue.

I have seen my Ubuntu boxes go to DHCP when something is amiss with the static IP address (could be anything).

Typically the DHCP scope by default is large on a router. You can though make it any size you want.

The typical configuration I have seen for an RPi etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

Default looks like this and is DHCP.

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
                  iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
                  auto wlan0
                  iface wlan0 inet manual
                  wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface default inet dhcp

If you make the address static it looks like this:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
                  iface eth0 inet static
                  address 192.168.1.199
                  netmask 255.255.255.0
                  gateway 192.168.1.1

auto wlan0
                  allow-hotplug wlan0
                  iface wlan0 inet static
                  address 192.168.1.199
                  netmask 255.255.255.0
                  gateway 192.168.1.1
                  wpa-passphrase mypasswordhere
                  wpa-ssid myssidhere

During some versions of the Zee (not Z-Net) the 3rd or 4th octet on the IP / subnet would get messed up in the GUI. I would at the time just manually configure the IP and not or save anything in the GUI cuz it would make it worst.
                  Last edited by Pete; July 30, 2015, 06:50 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i remember something about dhcp being forced on unless you had a wireless adapter in it with dhcp on that. basically it was idiot proofing the device so you wouldn't loose control of it if you hosed up your ssid or wifi settings since there isn't a hard reset capability.

I would guess something is triggering that bit of "feature".

I just used dhcp reservation on my router for it and haven't had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ORNVM View Post
                      i remember something about dhcp being forced on unless you had a wireless adapter in it with dhcp on that. basically it was idiot proofing the device so you wouldn't loose control of it if you hosed up your ssid or wifi settings since there isn't a hard reset capability.

I would guess something is triggering that bit of "feature".

I just used dhcp reservation on my router for it and haven't had any problems.
                      It forces DHCP on the wired connection if a wireless adapter IS installed. In that case the static option is taken away in the web interface. In both Bob's and Doug's cases, there is no WiFi dongle, the web interface still shows DHCP with their chosen IP addresses, but the Z-Net is pulling a different IP at startup. If they open the browser and click "Submit" it goes back to the correct assigned IP.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175445

Comment

Bug 2906 - Z-NET loses Static IP

opened

Comment

Good idea Rick as the Z-Net device is considered a piece of firmware that shouldn't give you any problems.

It is a plugnplay Homeseer developed box such that you shouldn't have to mess with it via SSH.

There is no mention of your issue in the installation manual.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bug 2906 - Z-NET loses Static IP

opened
                            Rick;

The Bugzilla is good to have on record. Since Bugzilla tickets are closed from view except by the author and HST and since your needs are more immediate, I would recommending you or anyone else having this problem filing a helpdesk ticket.

Comment

I bypassed the immediate problem by getting a bigger ups for the server and getting a new battery for network equipment ups. Life is tough up here in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X