This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing the number of hops

I have a fairly reliable Insteon network, the majority of my devices requiring only 1 hop to get the message 99% of the time.

I also read this in the Insteon specifications: "".

I know we're talking a few milliseconds, but I was wondering if there could be any responsiveness gain in reducing Max Hops. I've set mine to 3 in the early days, thinking why not be safe?

Before doing some tests with a reduced Max Hops, I was hoping to hear from the community:
    1. What have you set Max Hops to?
    2. Has anyone done any testing on the impacts of reducing Max Hops?

If you have Max Hops at 3, then no reason to reply unless you experienced problems before when lowering that count.

Mark,

Any insights in the benefits of reducing hops?

Comment

lowering the number of hops just reduces the number of retries/retransmissions for a message within the network. this can cause messages to not be received by the destination device or responses back to the interface.

I really don't see the benefit of lowering the max hops.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
      X