RFID options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID options

Guys, I am quite new to RFID as it relates to home automation. I would like to hear from a few of you who are using it about a couple of things I have been wondering about if you do not mind:

About how much of an investment am I looking at for the readers and a couple of tags?
    What are the ranges of the tags and readers and why would you choose one over the other?
    What is the reliability of the reader picking the tags up?
    What are some examples of what you are doing with the tags?

Sorry for the load of questions, I am doing my own reading on the options. But I am always interested in the opinions, and experiences, of my fellow tinkerers and home automation enthusiasts!

Thanks in advance guys!

I started out with CheaperRFID. Switched to BLRfid. (Same transmitters and receivers) I use it primarily for detecting presence/absence of our cars. I also devised another RFID system based on DS10s. Used in parallel, I find them to be 100% reliable.

Range is good, although putting a transmitter in a vehicle can dramatically reduce the effective range, depending on how it's positioned. Cost is reasonable. There's a source for the transmitters and receivers in Hong Kong, who sells on eBay.

I purchased a couple of new transmitters (8 meter) a couple of years ago, and they seem to be considerably better than my originals from 4+ years ago, so I expect a new system to be more reliable than what I was seeing originally.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      I also devised another RFID system based on DS10s. Used in parallel, I find them to be 100% reliable.
      Uncle micheal, can describe how did you use a ds10a for that purpose?
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
        Uncle micheal, can describe how did you use a ds10a for that purpose?
        Hector,
        See this thread. If you want to skip some of the fumbling around, skip to post #70 and after.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

What i would love is to have functionally that matches this:Iris Smart Key Fob http://www.lowes.com/pd_388559-41166...ductId=3735307

from what i understand it uses zigbee mesh networks to determine if the keyfob is in the home.

its in a nice consumer ready box and should do occupancy detection well.
          HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
          53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
          https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I use the CheperRFID/BLRFID style of tags and receivers. They work well, and I have hardened some in small thick metaled project boxes (for the big rolling trash cans, and the lawn mower). I even have it so that I get a different RFID id after the cans have been emptyed, so we know when they can be rolled back to back yard again (via custom micro-controller programming and an embedded tilt sensor). The system also knows if they are out front or still in the back recycling day. The mower one will cause any irrigation to halt until it is put away. I have thought about making these available for people, but been too busy lately, and not sure very many people would be interested.
            Last edited by Automated; June 12, 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

OK, so here is the issue I ran into with RFID. Family does not want ANOTHER dongle on the keychain. So I thought, no bigge, I will put a tag in each car. That does not really work as we have 2 cars and a golf cart (School and such is less than a mile from the house) so I would have to work out a logic of 1 car and GC gone = no one home, 2 cars gone = no one home, but only 1 car gone means people are home, and that still doesn't cover us for when we all ride together.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how I can really do this. Right now my most promising option is the IFTTT plugin to have the phones trigger events when they are in our around the house. Everyone takes their phone with them 99% of the time.

Comment

Why not just have a virtual device for each, and then once every minute or however often, run a script that counts how many devices (vehicles) are active, and on that you can determine if anyone is home or not? You could then intermix a bit more logic also with the phones. Or do it the other way around. Either way, I would use a script (easier for these complex situations) and some virtual devices to represent each vehicle and person.

Comment

Working...
                X