Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Names

Bob,

This is probably a stupid question, but I'd rather be stupid now than mess things up....

I've installed BLAB8SS and hooked up the used AB8SS I just bought. I wrote a script for the AB8SS years ago (for use by my brother, who did get one). It was always a little flaky, just because the non-standard comms with the AB8SS had very picky timing. You've done an awesome job though. Now that it is working so well for me, I've got to upgrade my brother and send my old script to the heap. Thanks so much!

Now for the (maybe) stupid question: Once the plug-in is installed and has created all of the devices it uses, can the devices be renamed? I'd mainly like to change "speaker 2" to "Master BR" and such. I will leave everything in the BLAB8SS group though. Can I do that, or will it mess things up?

Thanks again for another great plug-in!

Steve

The devices must be renamed from within the plugin on the Devices web page
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      The devices must be renamed from within the plugin on the Devices web page
      Ah ha! So I was going to mess things up! So it wasn't such a stupid question. Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Bob,

So, I have good news and bad news....

I changed the names from within the plug-in on my system (HS Pro 2.5.0.20) and all went well.

I also installed it on my brother's system remotely (HS2, 2.4.0.54), replacing my home-grown script to control his AB8SS. A couple of notes:
        1. Although changing the name within the "Devices" tab on my system worked, it didn't work on his system. Repeated returns to the "Devices" tab on the plug-in showed the new names, but only the old names showed up in the default "Status" page on Homeseer. I have no idea what to do now, in order to make the device names more useful.
        2. One thing that I didn't expect (and didn't see comments on): In order for the plug-in to start working right, I had to shutdown a 2nd time and restart. I.e., I shutdown to install, the restared. Having restarted the plug-in reported that it was happy, but didn't do anything. So, I shut down and restarted HS, after which it seemed to work. So, it seems that you have to shut down and restart HS twice to see it work. I verified this on my system (2.5.0.20) and on my brother's (2.4.0.54).
        Steve

Comment

That is strange. It should have worked changing them in the Devices page.
          I have not seen that here and I just rebuilt my system a few months ago.
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Well, it's not as happy as I thought. It looks like the plug-in is correctly reporting the status of the AB8SS (Input B, speakers 5, 6, and 7 on) but I can't turn any speakers ON or OFF. The log seems to indicate it is working, but it isn't.

This is actually the exact same way it acted when I first installed it. I had to restart a second time to get it to start working. On my brother's, restarting a second time didn't do the trick.

Rats. I may have to fall him back to the script....

Steve

Comment

Bob,

An update. I upgraded my brother to 2.5.0.20. I was trying to turn the individual speakers ON or OFF from the device status page. E.g., speaker 5 shows ON, turn it off, refresh the page. Unfortunately, it remained ON. Same goes for the other 8 speakers.

I did discover though that I could switch the input correctly between A and B using the device status page.

I turned on debug in the options page. Is there any value in my emailing it to you? I left it on overnight, so it is pretty big. If I need to post it here, I would probably truncate it to empty, then attempt to switch one or two the speakers, then turn off debug.

Let me know what I can do. I really want this to work.

Steve

Comment

Try to limit the debug log to just capturing the issue if you can and then log a help desk ticket and attach the log to the ticket.
                It is strange you are having an issue. It has been running solid here for over a year now.

Are you using a USB to serial? Those have been known to cause issues.
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Try to limit the debug log to just capturing the issue if you can and then log a help desk ticket and attach the log to the ticket.
                  Will do.
                  It is strange you are having an issue. It has been running solid here for over a year now.
                  I agree it is strange. It is working fine on my system too.
                  Are you using a USB to serial? Those have been known to cause issues.
                  I'm using the same set-up on both my system and my brother's. It is an 8-port Edgeport USB-to-serial. I've got a total of 10 ports in use on these (I have two of the Edgeports), all but two of my serial ports are on Edgeport (the other two are on LAN serial adapters). My brother's only serial ports (7 of them) are through the edgeport. Perhaps more importantly, this is actually using the same serial port as I was using to control the AB8SS via my script. The script "missed" every now and then, but for the most part it worked fine.

It seems like the fact that A/B works but the individual speaker controls don't is important, but I don't know exactly how.

As I mentioned (and I would guess you found as well), the port timing on the AB8SS is pretty picky. My guess is we are slightly out of sync with it.

Steve

Comment

Bob,

I posted a help desk ticket with debug attached.

Question: Is there value in me uninstalling the plug-in and trying again? I don't want to do it if it prevents you from tracking down the problem.

Steve

Comment

You could try that. Make sure to delete the plugin ini file.
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

Bob,

I didn't know there was an INI file. In the process of making sure it was the right one, I opened it up and saw that the last line in the file was this:

pluginHouseCode=#

Problem is, the devices that the plug-in created were %1, %2, etc. All of the # devices were created by (and are still used by) BLWeather in my brother's set-up.

Anyway, fully uninstalling the plug-in, deleting the INI file, and deleting all of the devices (which I didn't do the first time, so I had to uninstall again) seems to have fixed it. All the devices are responding now.

I don't know how the device code got messed up. I am certain neither my brother nor I ever manually edited that file.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X