Running Hue Scenes cause all lights to light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Hue Scenes cause all lights to light

I haven't done thorough testing yet, but here's my problem.

I have a couple of Events that set late night lighting for my kids bedrooms (all hue lighting). I've been setting the devices using "control a device".

I only just recently figured out that I can actually use JowiHue to control Philips Hue scenes (I don't know why I didn't realize it before!). So set the two Hue scenes I needed for kid #1's bedroom and changed the events to call the Philips Hue scenes instead of setting the devices individually.

However I then discovered that when the event runs, not only does it set the scene in kid #1's room, but all the lights in kid #2's room come on as well.

This is consistent, if I run the Homeseer event, all the lights come on, not just the scene set in the one room.

If I go back to the Philips Hue app and run the scene, only the lights that should change, change.

I've double checked, there are no apparent errors in the events, they're calling the correct scenes.

Anyone encountered this?

regards,

Paul

Paul,

Are you using a JowiHue scene or a scene that is stored on the bridge? I have heard of this situation before and a workaround was to copy the scene as a JowiHue scene and adjust it to use only the lights wanted.
    It seems the Hue app is storing all lights in a scene and has a specific call to select the requested lights...

Wim
    Last edited by w.vuyk; November 4, 2017, 10:19 AM. Reason: typo's
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
      Paul,

Are you using a JowiHue scene or a scene that is stored on the bridge? I have heard of this situation before and a workaround was to copy the scene as a JowiHue scene and adjust it to use only the lights wanted.
      It seems the Hue app is storing all lights in a scene and has a specific call to select the requested lights...

Wim

Comment

Actually I may have run into the same behavior - we're using Bridge scenes to keep some level of redundancy/normalcy in our lighting control if I completely break Homeseer at a bad time. As such, we want to use JowiHue to trigger scenes on the bridge - for their particular room/group - when we push a z-wave button.

Apologies if I'm talking out of my hat and all of this is already done this way, but in the group API they list the scene parameter:
        https://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/groups-api#25_set_group_state

And then here a poster talks about how the Hue App encodes room/scene linkages in the appdata field of the Scene:
        https://developers.meethue.com/content/scenes-api

the Philips app currently writes "1" in the version field and its data is a string with the format "xxxxx_rNN_dMM", where xxxxx seems to be 5 random characters, NN is a 2 digit number indicating the room the scene belongs to and MM is a 2 digit number between 1 and 18 for the predefined scenes (such as Relax, Read, Savanna sunset) and always 99 for user-defined scenes. If I match with format and save a scene in the bridge, it appears in the Philips app
        If this parsing isn't already in JowiHue, can we bake it into a beta build relatively soon?

Thanks!

Comment

This is my biggest bugbear with JowieHue. I use the philips bridge scenes in other places. and trying to maintain 2 scenes and making sure they are in sync is too tedious for words.

I also when executing the scene put request for example to

http://<IP Address>/api/<Authtoken>/groups/<Group ID>/action

with the body
          {"scene": "<Scene ID>"}

This works ok without the same behaviour.

i can also set bridge scenes directly in rooms in my c# .Net coding without the same behaviour.

however jowiehue has this bug. so i can confirm this is 100% a jowie hue bug and not a philips API bug, please resolve this bug asap. if you also need any assistance or testing completed please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Comment

Fuzzysb, glad it wasn't just me hallucinating - let's see if we can get this fix put in, either through parsing the app string or using the endpoint you mentioned. I don't want to go back to my old Vera approach of waiting 10s for all my Hues to get in sync, let alone reprogramming two bridges' worth of scenes...

w.vuyk, this something you can do this week? Got a deadline to wrap our lights before the new year!

Comment

blerghbob,

No there will not be a new version coming this year. As you can see in the other threads I am working on a complex change that takes time. The plugin is in no state at the moment to be published.

You do know there is an easy work aroundo for this? That would be something you can implement before your new year

1. Make sure all lights are off
              2. Start the scene from anywhere other then the plugin
              3. With the Creativity page active, activate the scenes tab
              4. Take a snapshot of the lights, you will see a new scene come up with the name 'snapshot'
              5. Name the new (local) scene to something you like.

From here you can activate this one to your liking.

Happy Christmas

Wim
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Silly vuyk, assuming users are checking other folks' priorities first! : )

Afraid I wasn't up to date on the release news - makes sense, and that's exactly the workaround I was intending to use this week. It's just a tad slower than the bridge scenes, and requires doing that for 16 rooms x 5 scenes, which is disappointing especially since I had assumed bridge scenes were ready to roll when I had picked up a HS3 unit.

That being said, what are the odds either the endpoint or app parsing will make it in to the next release, and will there be a simple migration path between the two? Debating just leaving the scene controllers dead for another couple of weeks versus the workaround-and-migrate...

Thanks!

Comment

blerghbob,

No there will not be a new version coming this year. As you can see in the other threads I am working on a complex change that takes time. The plugin is in no state at the moment to be published.

You do know there is an easy work aroundo for this? That would be something you can implement before your new year

1. Make sure all lights are off
                  2. Start the scene from anywhere other then the plugin
                  3. With the Creativity page active, activate the scenes tab
                  4. Take a snapshot of the lights, you will see a new scene come up with the name 'snapshot'
                  5. Name the new (local) scene to something you like.

From here you can activate this one to your liking.

Happy Christmas

Wim
                  So...interesting - when I follow that process, I get "Snapshot was Not taken, are your lights On?"

Please tell me this isn't a problem with JowiHue and two bridges?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blerghbob View Post
                    So...interesting - when I follow that process, I get "Snapshot was Not taken, are your lights On?"

Please tell me this isn't a problem with JowiHue and two bridges?

Thanks!
                    Blerghbob,

If you activate this scene, is it possible that the involved bulbs are lit on a low level and are you using the Hue bridges? As I discovered today that there is an issue when the bulbs are lit at low level on a Hue bridge, the devices are not getting updated. You can check this by acitvating the scene and check the HS3 devices, are they still off?

If this is what you are seeing, it will be solved in the next version (as beta next week). The plugin takes the current state of the devices for a snapshot, and if the lights are at low level, devices might still show off.

As for the bridge scenes and other light coming on at low level, this will also be solved in the next release, comming as beta next week.

As for two bridges, there should be no issue. I have 4 bridges at the moment, and can create local scenes covering all perfectly here (with higher level brightesses on the Philips hue bridges)

Wim
                    -- Wim

Comment

Blerghbob,

If you activate this scene, is it possible that the involved bulbs are lit on a low level and are you using the Hue bridges? As I discovered today that there is an issue when the bulbs are lit at low level on a Hue bridge, the devices are not getting updated. You can check this by acitvating the scene and check the HS3 devices, are they still off?

If this is what you are seeing, it will be solved in the next version (as beta next week). The plugin takes the current state of the devices for a snapshot, and if the lights are at low level, devices might still show off.

As for the bridge scenes and other light coming on at low level, this will also be solved in the next release, comming as beta next week.

As for two bridges, there should be no issue. I have 4 bridges at the moment, and can create local scenes covering all perfectly here (with higher level brightesses on the Philips hue bridges)

Wim
                      Wim, Thanks, I look forward to testing the new beta when it's available. I will be sure to get you some feedback

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Wim, first pass with this looks perfect - got the whole house up and running in about a day once the beta posted, thanks a ton for squeezing in the group/scene behavior. Haven't seen anything too weird yet, will let you know if I hear anything odd from the homestead this week!

Now to just finish terrorizing the boys in Bedford about old Leviton scene controller behavior ; )

Comment

Working...
                        X