Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimming using Alexa

Hello:
    I am running a hs3 pi edition connected to an Alexa device using the homeseer skill. I can speak "alexa ask homeseer to turn light on, or dim light 50%" and all works for my zwave lights..

This doesn't work for my Philips hue lights using a hue bridge and JowiHue.

I can turn a hue lamp on and off but not dim thru speech..

What am I missing??

GaryUE

Originally posted by garyue View Post
    Hello:
    I am running a hs3 pi edition connected to an Alexa device using the homeseer skill. I can speak "alexa ask homeseer to turn light on, or dim light 50%" and all works for my zwave lights..

This doesn't work for my Philips hue lights using a hue bridge and JowiHue.

I can turn a hue lamp on and off but not dim thru speech..

What am I missing??

GaryUE
    Can I make a suggestion? I untick the voice control option from jowihue devices and instead use the official hue alexa skill for voice control. That way you can also change colors via voice control

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

That doesn't do it

Hello and thanks for the reply..

My homeseer works just the other way. I have to click on a device and tick the box voice command for Alexa to effect the device. Except in JowiHue.

I can turn the lights on/off with Alexa but no dimming. I can dim with the slider or in an event.

I can set the can_dim on/off or percentage on/off still no dimming with these on if I say "Alexa ask homeseer to dim lamp 50%" Alexa will say OK dimming lamp 50% but turn it on full..

Any ideas???

GaryUE

Comment

Got it Working..

I love testing all things to see what's possible..

The work around for this, for me is I added the Philips Hue Skill to my Alexa and that controls the lights great on/off/dim..

And (Great Job Jowi) the homeseer app with JowiHue plugin tracks the changes..

Happy Happy Happy

GaryUE

Comment

-- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I am running HS3 + RaspBee hub + JowiHue and I do not go through HS3 for Alexa control of our Zigbee bulbs either. My Amazon Echo dot can communicate directly with the hub and on/off/dim works just fine without adding any extra skills.

Of course the status is communicated to HS3 and I can also control the lights using events or various phone apps including HS3Touch.

Comment

Hello Wim

I am not sure what beta your are refering to.
              The 2 possible ways to control HomeSeer through Alexa that i see, is the 2 skills that can be enabled in the Alexa app.
              One just called 'HomeSeer' and is basic control.
              Another called 'HomeSeer Home Automation Skill' for more advanced control.

What is the 'new HS3 api' you talk about.

Comment

Lars,

Check this thread of the HS3 beta.
                There will be other threads too if you search for it, but this one made me aware of the new API for alexa.

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
                X