Looking for advice for temperature probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice for temperature probe

Last edited by goldriver; January 2, 2018, 08:08 PM.

Goldriver

I would STRONGLY suggest to download the documentation for this plugin. You will need to become conversant with installing the Arduino IDE (Development environment), installing the required libraries and then uploading code to an Arduino.

The plugin is VERY good if you follow the instructions, its VERY well documented.

Equally you will need to decide if you want to have the arduino wireless or connected via an ethernet connection. My plugin is old and does not support wireless so I cant comment about the wireless setup however if you go wired, something like an arduino UNO and an Ethernet shield W5100. As there are significant clone products on the market, unless you buy an "authentic arduino device" you may need to experiment a little.

When the plugin is installed you can enable the 1-wire bus on a nominated pin, it will then detect the DS18b20 sensors and create devices, it is very simple and intuiative.

Here is a reasonably good graphic of how the DS81B20 is wired.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...arduino-9cc806

With a little reading you will get the hang of the Arduino, its not rocket science :-)

I've gone down a different path for my temp sensing simply because I'm running an older version of the plugin and to upgrade my installation, its a lot of work !

I am using DS81B20 and AM2301 (temp and humidity sensors) connected to multiple WeMOS (Arduino ESP8266 wireless) devices. The WeMOS was flashed with the "tasmota" firmware which turns it into an MQTT client. The client sends messages to a broker (raspberrypi), Homeseer has the MQTT plugin and the devices show up in HS, its actually quite simple. Again I'm only doing this for thermal sensing as its not "mission critical". For everything else in the house, its hard wired to an Arduino Mega, there is simply no substitute for "always working 100% no matter what !

Good luck with your decision, there are many people in this forum that can help however there is no substitute for "reading the manual" :-) Boy I must be getting old, as a younger fellow I NEVER read the manual !

Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
      Goldriver

I would STRONGLY suggest to download the documentation for this plugin. You will need to become conversant with installing the Arduino IDE (Development environment), installing the required libraries and then uploading code to an Arduino.

The plugin is VERY good if you follow the instructions, its VERY well documented.

Equally you will need to decide if you want to have the arduino wireless or connected via an ethernet connection. My plugin is old and does not support wireless so I cant comment about the wireless setup however if you go wired, something like an arduino UNO and an Ethernet shield W5100. As there are significant clone products on the market, unless you buy an "authentic arduino device" you may need to experiment a little.

When the plugin is installed you can enable the 1-wire bus on a nominated pin, it will then detect the DS18b20 sensors and create devices, it is very simple and intuiative.

Here is a reasonably good graphic of how the DS81B20 is wired.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...arduino-9cc806

With a little reading you will get the hang of the Arduino, its not rocket science :-)

I've gone down a different path for my temp sensing simply because I'm running an older version of the plugin and to upgrade my installation, its a lot of work !

I am using DS81B20 and AM2301 (temp and humidity sensors) connected to multiple WeMOS (Arduino ESP8266 wireless) devices. The WeMOS was flashed with the "tasmota" firmware which turns it into an MQTT client. The client sends messages to a broker (raspberrypi), Homeseer has the MQTT plugin and the devices show up in HS, its actually quite simple. Again I'm only doing this for thermal sensing as its not "mission critical". For everything else in the house, its hard wired to an Arduino Mega, there is simply no substitute for "always working 100% no matter what !

Good luck with your decision, there are many people in this forum that can help however there is no substitute for "reading the manual" :-) Boy I must be getting old, as a younger fellow I NEVER read the manual !

Pete

Comment

Hi Bruno

One thing I would suggest though if its important the messages get through 100% of the time, consider hard wired devices. WIFI is pretty reliable but if you are dependent on temperatures to stop pipes from bursting then I'd be a little cautious.

Again maybe you will need to set them up in a "defensive manner" to ensure the message gets through and regularly check the board connectivity.

Randy who frequents the forums does a lot with thermal control regarding heating and pipes freezing.

Let us know how you go, it sounds like an interesting project

Pete
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X