Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk M1 >> UltraM1G3 >> Homeseer >> Alexa

hi--

I'm a Homeseer noob with a Elk-based security system that's currently run via the UltraM1G3 plugin.

How would I go about configuring my system to arm / disarm via an Alexa voice command?

Thanks!

steve

Steve,

The easiest way is to create a Virtual Device called "Alarm" or whatever unique voice controlled device you want to use.

Then set up two events that trigger on "Alarm" changing.

Event 1 - If Alarm changes to Off, then use M1G Arming Action to disarm that area.

Event 2 - If Alarm changes to On, then use M1G Arming Action to arm that area.

Then you would only need to say "Alexa, Alarm on" or Alexa, Alarm off".

I would feel comfortable using this for Alarm Stay, but not for Alarm Away. Your decision.

Regards,
    Vector

Comment

Correction to previous post - Don't use "Alarm" - Alexa thinks you are trying to do something with her alarm (e.g. "Alexa, set alarm for 6am".

You may want to experiment with different names to find one that works consistently (like I have done on most of my voice activated devices). I tried "Area 1" and it worked repeatedly without any misunderstanding.

Regards,
      Vector

Comment

Thanks Vector. How would I go about creating a Virtual Device? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by spall03 View Post
          Thanks Vector. How would I go about creating a Virtual Device? Thanks for the help!
          Just click the green + icon at the top right of your devices list.

You'll have to set the 'floor' and 'room', or whatever you have changed these fields to, to something that makes sense to you. Many people choose to create a floor or room called 'virtual' to make it easier to find all their virtual devices.
          iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Elk M1 >> UltraM1G3 >> Homeseer >> Alexa

Another way is to use Elk tasks. Setup the task in Elk software to do what you want. Goto HS UltraM1G plugin settings and make sure HS creates a HS device for your task. Name the task something like Alarm System. Then make control use property for activate set to ON. Check off voice control for the device then have Alexa discover new devices.

Now you can activate Elk tasks by telling Alexa "Turn on Alarm System" and she will tell HS which activates the Elk task.

I have all my sprinklers setup like this. I have had them automated via Elk panel relay forever. Now with HS and Alexa i can telll her to "Turn on Front Yard Sprinklers" and my HS device which is really an Elk task runs.

Separate task that stops all the sprinkler valves and pump runs similar except change the property to off. Alexa Turn Off Sprinklers and elk does the task. Works great and uses the Smarthome Skill so no Alexa tell HS to .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
              Steve,

The easiest way is to create a Virtual Device called "Alarm" or whatever unique voice controlled device you want to use.

Then set up two events that trigger on "Alarm" changing.

Event 1 - If Alarm changes to Off, then use M1G Arming Action to disarm that area.

Event 2 - If Alarm changes to On, then use M1G Arming Action to arm that area.

Then you would only need to say "Alexa, Alarm on" or Alexa, Alarm off".

I would feel comfortable using this for Alarm Stay, but not for Alarm Away. Your decision.

Regards,
              Vector
              hi Vector --

I think I'm close to implementing your solution, but I'm getting this error message in the logs:

Invalid or missing Arm/Disarm code detected. Unable to send Arm/Disarm command to Elk M1

Any idea how to fix?

Thanks!

Comment

Steve,

You have to:

1. Create a HomeSeer User and arm/disarm code in your M1G system (presumably using ElkRP2, or keypad if you are old school). Actually you can use an already existing one, but I prefer to set up a separate User/Code so I always know in HomeSeer and Elk logs who/what armed/disarmed the system.
                2. Go into UltraM1G plugin Tab Areas and enter the code you just set up. Click save. Probably need to go to Status Tab and click Reload.

Now HomeSeer has a code to use when it sends commands to the M1G through UltraM1G plugin.

Regards,
                Vector

Comment

That worked! Thank you!!

Originally posted by Vector View Post
                  Steve,

You have to:

1. Create a HomeSeer User and arm/disarm code in your M1G system (presumably using ElkRP2, or keypad if you are old school). Actually you can use an already existing one, but I prefer to set up a separate User/Code so I always know in HomeSeer and Elk logs who/what armed/disarmed the system.
                  2. Go into UltraM1G plugin Tab Areas and enter the code you just set up. Click save. Probably need to go to Status Tab and click Reload.

Now HomeSeer has a code to use when it sends commands to the M1G through UltraM1G plugin.

Regards,
                  Vector

Comment

Working...
                  X