Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF to control Hunter Fans

Hey Guys,
    My one weak point in this HA project appears to be the controlling of the Ceiling fan and Lights. I love Bert's RFXCom product which is why I asked Bert if there was any plan on adding control of fans to his setup. Sadly, the answer is No.

The newer fans run off of 1 switch and use the built in wireless remotes to control the lights/fan speed. I'd be interested in hearing how you folks might working around this issue..

Please note: This in NO WAY is a criticism of Bert's product. FWIW, his product has made the WAF go sky high!

Thanks for your feedback,
    Rodney

While not RF these switches control the 3 speeds of a ceiling fan and want a switch that was designed for fans you can't beat this X10 switch. They are expensive but they work beautifully.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...7&cat=0&page=2
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,
      I wish I could use them. The new fans all run off of 1 incoming switch and (I'm not an electrician so forgive my poor choice of technical terms) so at the light/fan housing they have the controller which splits power to the fan motor and the separate light housing. While the unit themselves have 2 pull chains, one for fan the other for lights, its all controlled by one ligth switch at the wall. Those are typically covered with a faceplate where you hang your RF Remote. This remote has a light switch and the fan buttons. If I replace the switch the best I could do would be turn on/off the power. After a power failure then default setting is to turn the lights on at 100% and Fan is off...

So...It could be easier to go back to the old style fans where you have 2 incoming power lines where one controls the light and the other controls the fan...However the local home improvement stores have stopped carrying those types of fans....

Thanks for the input!
      Rodney

Comment

There was a post on the message board at one time that "talked" about tapping into an extra remote and control the contacts using HomeSeer. If the remotes aren't too expensive it might be a fun project. It seems the hardware manufactures are making home automation harder and harder.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp. I agree, about them making it harder...If anyone finds anything please post..Thanks!

Comment

Fan Control...

Controlling fans with lights can be done...
            Attached Files

Comment

OK..I have to admit that I sat here for the longest time laughing thinking that this was a joke. But then I realized that maybe not...I gotta ask...How does this thing work?

Thanks!
              Rodney

Comment

Yes, it does work...

Yes, it does work and I had to laugh at the thought of you thinking it might be a joke...

The black box contains a control interface and a 433.9 MHz transmitter circuit. Unfortunately I am presently unable to get the 433.9 MHz transmitter to synchronise with the fan receiver. Therefore as a temporary measure, I am using an external connection to a spare fan control to connect to the transmitter circuitry in the remote. This currently works fine in this mode. I just need to commit the time to investigate the transmitter further. Can't be doing everything with HA overnight...started this mid 2007.

I have a small script to parse the High, Med, Low and Light requests via events and output the required code to a Com Port.

Cheers,
                Frank.
                Attached Files

Comment

LOL...yes, I did think you were pulling my leg and I'm glad that I got the nerve to ask whether it was real or not. Well, I'll keep you on my BFF (Best Friends Forever) list cuz I want one of those controllers!

Thanks!
                  I look forward to any updates!! If you need a guinea pig let me know.

Rod

Comment

I use an X10 fixture module on the circuit to my ceiling fans. Homeseer then controls the Fan ON/OFF but I can still adjust the fan speed at the switch. I find this works very well because we don't change the fan speed very often.

Steve Q
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve, I have one of the newer Hunter Fans which on has 2 wires coming in and is then controlled using the RF remote. If I kill the power and turn it back on, the fan defaults to OFF and the Light ON at BRIGHT! So that wouldn't work for me. On my 2 older fans I have zwave relays for the lights and use X10 relays for the fan on/off switch(much cheaper than Zwave). This works since we normally use on/off for the fans...

Thanks!
                      Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by lazarustx View Post
                        If I kill the power and turn it back on, the fan defaults to OFF and the Light ON at BRIGHT! So that wouldn't work for me.
                        Thanks!
                        Rodney

There must be something wrong with the fan and/or the wiring. I can't believe the lights are supposed to come ON after a power failure, etc. This seems wrong? I don't know of any other products that behave this way?

Steve Q
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Sorry, I mean that after the power is restored the lights go on by default...

Comment

here is a schematic to build a interface that uses regular dimmers to control fans without them humming.
                            yeah, i tried to use a regular dimmer to control fan. and the fan hummed like crazy as if it got jammed or something.

http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/no_hum_fan.htm

if you want to build a 230v of this. just change the 9k resistor to 18k resistor.

Comment

I tried to get a bunch of people together to buy a set of these (I can't seem to find a link to the post).

Only two people seemed interested. We were going to get the PCB's printed out (Ed also provides a complete set of everything with the gerber files, parts list, etc.).

The nice part about this product, is it lets you take ANY dimmable switch (UPB, Z-Wave, Insteon, X10, XXXXX), and turn it into a speed controller for the fan.

However, with only the two of us...the cost was too great, so I dropped it.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X