RS thermistat not communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat won't update, I need some programming help

The plugin I am working on will update the setpoint temps, no problem. But reading back the data from the stat isn't working. It reads back the data and logs it, but it is not selecting the correct data row. I am not sure why. I have never used datarows before. The code that is in the plugin is not right. Not quite sure why. It will update the temp on one stat only. So somehow it is not selecting the address out of the reply correctly. I think there is something wrong with this selection of code. See attachment.

Any help from a good programmer and not just a hack would be good. I have never written anything complex. Thanks
    Terry
    This line is not selecting anything. Rows is always nothing.

Rows = dtThermostats.Select("DeviceType=0 And Value='" & addr & "'")
    Attached Files

Comment

source code?

I just saw your post about trying to fix the RCS plugin. I have the same issue and gave up a long time ago and I've been running HS2 in parallel just to control my thermostats (I have 3).

If the source code is available, I am willing to look at this again and help you out fixing it. I'm not an expert in HS3 plugin(never done one), but with the source code we should be able to figure it out, at least I hope so.
      Can you help me get the source code to begin with? I can't find the info on where to get it.
      Thanks.

Comment

here is the source code.

https://github.com/HomeSeer/HSPI_RCSSERIAL

I have a version I have been working on. I could send it to you. Give me your email address. Mine is terry.a.jacobson@seagate.com. You could use it to look at a couple changes I made. Not saying they are right. But I know that the reply from the stat gives a O=1 for a thermostat address of 1 not the a=1 that the code says. I put a lot of logging in the code to try to figure out what it is doing.

Thanks
        Terry

Comment

If you guys get it fixed ( the plug-in ) I have a TR-60 set that is up for grabs.
          replaced with the EcoBee
          Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

So the plugin is fixed

So Travis G fixed the plugin. Great job. It works on my system too. I haven't heard of anyone that it hasn't worked.
            //github.com/palemouse/HSPI_RCSSERIAL/blob/master/bin/HSPI_RCSSERIAL.exe

Does anyone know if Homeseer will put this fix on the download page for plugins? Also I put this on my system. but it tells me I have a 30 day trial now. Anyone know how to fix that?

Comment

RCSStat Update 3.0.0.14

HomeSeer support confirmed to me that they pulled my changes version 3.0.0.14 of the plugin. You should be able to download this update through the normal updater. Hope it works for everyone. Let me know if you are still having difficulties!

Comment

Travis,

Just checking in with a question.

It doesn't appear that the GitHub fork rewrite (ver 3.0.0.14) supports ZCV zone controllers and the associated addressing (A,Z) that is required.

Is this a correct statement? Please see post below from another thread on this.

Thanks,

Craig

Originally posted by cbryan View Post
                Count me in as well for a paid solution.

I had email discussion with Rich mid-March regarding the HS3 non-support of the serial plugin and especially the loss of zone controller function (ZCV4). I have a blended system, two TR40s and a ZCV4 zone controller with four TS40 wall display units (WDU). Early adopted the HS3 software but unable to install without major hardware changes to accommodate the lack of RCS serial support in HS3. In essence would have to replace the existing ZCV4 zone controller with a ZC4 zone controller that supports thermostats rather than WDUs. This would mean the purchase of four zwave stats and the new ZC4 zone controller as well as replacing the two TR40s with two zwave stats (about $1000 worth of new equipment to abandon existing equipment that works fine [well almost] under HS2Pro).

Rich was very upfront that Homeseer did not believe there were enough of us RCS serial users (particularly zone controller users) to justify the development cost of a revamped RCS plugin. He did send the source code but I have not had a chance to look into the project.

The plugin always had difficulty in addressing the zone controller and WDUs behind the controller. RJ reworked the HS2 version several years ago and it did function with the zone controller and WDUs but HSTouch still had several unresolved issues (missing drop down menu options when "designing" a touch thermostat under HSTouch), likely still related to the zone controller addressing issues. Most of the addressing issue was documented in http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=117708.

The solution was ultimately to address the stats and zone controller/WDUs as follows:

A=address
                Z=Zone

A1 is TR40 stat
                A2 is TR40 stat
                A3 is ZCV4 zone controller, Z1 is WDU zone 1
                A3 is ZCV4 zone controller, Z2 is WDU zone 2
                A3 is ZCV4 zone controller, Z3 is WDU zone 3
                A3 is ZCV4 zone controller, Z4 is WDU zone 4

The outside temp is taken from the sensor connected to the ZCV4 and sent to the TR40 thermostats using the following script:

sub main()
                dim customtext, RCS
                set RCS=hs.plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats")
                call RCS.CmdSetOutsideTemp (1, RCS.GetTemp(3,0))
                call RCS.CmdSetOutsideTemp (2, RCS.GetTemp(3,0))

end sub

The remaining HSTouch issues were discussed in paid support with no resolution. The jest of the issue was the drop down menus for WDUs behind the zone controller in the HSTouch designer lacked all of the proper fields to control or display all of the features of the WDU. All features would be present on the thermostats (A1 and A2) but missing when working with the WDUs (A3,Z1 and A3, Z2 and A3,Z3 and A3, Z4).

Comment

So I have been experimenting with the 3.0.0.14 version now posted and two RCS stand alone stats and a ZCV4 zone controller with four wall display unit stats (WDU) attached. The two stand alone stats are configured as address 1 and 2 with the WDU stats configured as address 3 thru 6.

Turns out the plugin will address stand alone stats and the ZCV4 WDUs and read the data correctly from all devices.

So far there is at least one issue which is the bug in the original HS2 RCS plugin that incorrectly handles setpoints in certain modes see http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=134464

It may be that the beta version (2.0.4.14) of the HS2 plugin that corrected this is the proper starting point for the GitHub changes.

Jun-25 12:41:04 PM RCSStat DEBUG Writing Data: A=1 SPH=60 SP=60

Jun-25 12:41:04 PM Device Control Device: Downstairs RCS Heat SetPoint to (value) (60) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                  Last edited by cbryan; June 25, 2017, 12:44 PM. Reason: Added DEBUG log content

Comment

Originally posted by cbryan View Post
                    So far there is at least one issue which is the bug in the original HS2 RCS plugin that incorrectly handles setpoints in certain modes see http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=134464

It may be that the beta version (2.0.4.14) of the HS2 plugin that corrected this is the proper starting point for the GitHub changes.
                    I have been using 2.0.4.14 under HS2 for many years now. The setpoint handling works correctly for me. I do not have any zone equipment.

Comment

That was my point. The HS3 version 3.0.0.14 was apparently built off code that had the "SP" bug in it that was fixed in the HS2 version 2.0.4.14. So the bug has crept back in to the current HS3 version in the updater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jacobst1 View Post
                        So Travis G fixed the plugin. Great job. It works on my system too. I haven't heard of anyone that it hasn't worked.
                        //github.com/palemouse/HSPI_RCSSERIAL/blob/master/bin/HSPI_RCSSERIAL.exe

Does anyone know if Homeseer will put this fix on the download page for plugins? Also I put this on my system. but it tells me I have a 30 day trial now. Anyone know how to fix that?
                        I just tried installing the EXE and I'm getting the same 30 day trial message. Did you find a way to resolve this?

Comment

Working...
                        X