The Coffee Maker Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Coffee Maker Project

SO, I came across this on ebay, they are $200 new, the thing i like , or the 2 things I like about these are 1: its counter top size and 2: it dispenses 2 types of coffee AND its own cup.

My 2 goals of this are 1: to be able to have HS make me coffee as I get up in a morning and 2: be able to yell to my amazon echo " Alex make me a cup of coffee" and it will.

1st thing I needed to do was wire in 2 zwave switches to the buttons that you normally press to dispense coffee ( not those buttons still work )
    2nd thing was I added a circuit to detect if there was a cup in the dispenser area as I did'nt want to forget and have it drop another one or just to let me coffee get cold, so I used an IR beam that is cut when the cup drops , that triggers a mimo unit to report back to HS that a cup is there, this way if i dont remove the cup after 2-3 mins HS is set to remind me that I have coffee waiting.

The only part I am still working on is the ability to use the amazon echo to start making coffee form voice.
    Attached Files
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

I love this kind of projects! Way to go!
    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

I believe this needs a video of it in action to see its true greatness.

I may have to pick one of these units up. I have a Keurig Vue that is now end of life due to the Vue cups being replaced with the new version of the K, so I've been trying to decide what to do in the coffee department. Still pretty pissed at Keurig for screwing its early adopters of its "next-best-thing".

i've also been toying with a similar "button mod" like you did, but to a dog food dispenser to feed the dog daily, and having HS3 decide whether to feed or not after detecting his presence in the house and not gone somewhere.

Comment

As a Norwegian and one of the most coffe consuming persons in the world I really love coffee. But i also have a barista machine, that means i make my espresso from the ground, grinding, tamping, preheating etc. It's a lot of work. But i would like to have a machine to make more "ok" coffee in the morning when I don't bother doing it, though the taste of a properly made espresso is much much better than any machine can do.
        And i have though of this many times.

But at the moment i want to retrofit an alarm clock to to activate events. so that you can set your alarm clock on and when it goes of you can have HS trigger events. And making coffee would really be one of them
        Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

I believe this needs a video of it in action to see its true greatness.
          video will certainly be coming as soon as I get it working with amazon echo
          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

We agree we needs to see your video

Comment

Compiling almost a step by step building Gude video to post in the next couple of days

Comment

https://youtu.be/JRhyGXXj0fs

here ya go, part 1

Comment

This is awesome, can't wait to see the next video!

Comment

cool project!

this may help: http://www.instructables.com/id/Inte...hine-iSPRESSO/
                    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Very nice video Zac!
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here is the Final finished result when are the parts and programming come together:

https://youtu.be/nneSeHw2U_o

Feel free to ask any questions.

Comment

Nice Video Zac! It is very quick.

Did I hear a Clair acknowledgement there with Alexa?

Did you create the event via a script or did you an event?

Are you using the jar file hub emulator? Are you running it on Wintel or Linux?

Are you using Homeseer's TTS in a zoned fashion, touchscreen or centrally located speakers?

Is that going to be where you place the Amazon Echo in the kitchen?

Can you tell Alexa to make your coffee from the family room?

Do the internals get warm and does this affect the hot melt glue stuff?

How do you feed your coffee maker? Are you filling some sort of reservoir with coffee and chocolate?

How many cups of coffee can you make without filling it?

Do you have to use a standard cup size?
                          Last edited by Pete; July 24, 2015, 02:12 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Awesome idea! Biggest question....How does the coffee taste?

Could you list the auction and/or machine name/part number to find on eBay?
                            Bryan
                            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Did I hear a Clair acknowledgement there with Alexa?
                              Somewhat, you actually heard "claire" reply, I bought the ivona voices before amazon snapped them up so I actually have the same voices for my system as the amazon echo uses.

Did you create the event via a script or did you an event?
                              I created an event that alexa ( amazon echo ) runs called make me coffee, there is a script in there as well but the event runs the script.

Are you using the jar file hub emulator? Are you running it on Wintel or Linux?
                              no, im using the aspx script that thrag designed, then adding code to the alexa side

Are you using Homeseer's TTS in a zoned fashion, touchscreen or centrally located speakers?
                              yes I am using the TTS I have a speaker in each room running back to a central closet, one amp per speaker and an autopatch routing the audio into whatever speakers I need to "talk" at the time

Is that going to be where you place the Amazon Echo in the kitchen?
                              I currently have 2 echos, and any closer and they both hear me, the kitchen one covers kitchen and living room, and the bedroom one covers that room. I may get a 3rd for the office.

Can you tell Alexa to make your coffee from the family room?
                              yes the mics are very sensitive and accurate

D
                              o the internals get warm and does this affect the hot melt glue stuff?
                              not there is a heater unit but that is off to the other side.

How do you feed your coffee maker? Are you filling some sort of reservoir with coffee and chocolate?
                              yes there are 2 reservoirs at the back when you open the front cover you pull those out and fill them

How many cups of coffee can you make without filling it?
                              it holds about 50 cups at a time

Do you have to use a standard cup size?
                              This was one thing i found, the standard size in Korea is different from here, it wasn't a problem, I just ordered a case of cups from the local USA distributor, $30 for 1000 cups.

I added a couple of extra pics below to help show what you asked.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X