www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software

HomeSeer Software Discussions regarding all current HomeSeer software

Old March 29th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happnatious1 View Post

I apologize if you read through all of this rambling post. In summation I'm pretty sure that at least one of the S'es in SaaS stands for sucks.
I'll bite.... It it because software "Sucks As A Service"?

I work with MSFT Dynamics 365 everyday at work (c# developer, but this is the direction my company is moving in so I adapt). It's ok, but it's funny to watch "the business" ask for things that with our old solution (code maintained in house) was possible but we just can't do in Dynamics because it's a hosted service. I have to say "we just can't do that" a lot more than I used to and from what I hear our actual users aren't liking the new direction very much. But it's a SaaS and SaaS is the future, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old March 29th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Seer Master

Amen brother!
Old May 7th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Viewer

NO NO NO. I would leave if HS changed to a subscription model. I like to OWN things not borrow someone's crap. I also want a fully functional HA system that does not rely on the internet.

Before I came to HS I was using HomeAssistant. That was a fun experiment. I am pretty good with computers but do not have any programming background. I was able to get it up and running on a Pi3 (no previous linux experience either). I was able to get basic automatons working but it isn't nearly as easy as HomeSeer (at least for me). Their documentation is all over the place and it's not very noob friendly. Then they wanted $5 a month for their cloud services so they can integrate with Ghome and Alexa. I was excited about the google home integration as I have 2 of them. But I am not willing to pay a subscription to integrate it into a home automation system. I immediately started looking for another solution. That's when I found HomeSeer. My setup is still pretty basic but I love what HomeSeer has to offer and just purchased the pro upgrade. I am definitely willing to buy future updates if they bring good value.

Unfortunately the pay as you go sub model exists because of the "I want it now" mentality and poor budgeting skills of most people. (Americans at least) They HAVE things that they don't OWN and can't AFFORD and they are broke. So any disruption in the economy or their personal health and they have NOTHING. It is almost always better to save and purchase so that you own something rather than renting or borrowing(money or in this case software).

As someone mentioned earlier, the sub model also disincentives companies from innovating and improving their product. Normally when a company makes a product and sells it for a profit they are incentivized to them make another product or an improved updated product to make more money. This keeps the evil/greed in companies working for the consumer.(I'm not saying making money is greedy or evil but can be). So as soon as you agree to a subscription you hand over your market power to the company and hope and trust they continue to work in your favor. And they probably will until they stifle out the competition. Then what happens?