Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop from Mac to Homeseer Server - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktop from Mac to Homeseer Server - Help!

I don't keep a monitor hooked up to my Homeseer server but I need to access it from time-to-time. Rather than drag a monitor out each time I would like to access it using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on my Macbook Pro. My server is on the network and I can access all of the files without an issue from Finder, but I cannot figure out how to get connected with Remote Desktop. I'm sure I have a setting wrong on one side or the other. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out. Thanks!

Microsoft RDP should work fine. You have to make sure the RDP service is running on the Windows computer.

Here do and do not use it for Windows / Linux to my Homeseer Linux computer on the local network but prefer to utilize VNC. BUT I do not really need it as there is nothing to see on the Linux desktop running Homeseer 3 so mostly utilize SSH here these days. I turn off Homeseer via the Homeseer GUI and it'll start on reboot or I can many run a 3 line script to start it remotely via SSH.

Many Homeseer folks utilize Teamviewer. Here just configured Teamviewer to manage family's computers running Windows 10. One GUI preconfigured for multiple computers (and it's free for personal use). Teamviewer works with Windows, iOS and Linux. Download the Teamviewer application; give it spin; see if the shoe fits.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete! I have the server setup to reboot if the power goes out and HS restarts automatically. Its worked flawlessly for a year or so. I actually have HS3 Touch Designer on the same box which is why I want to access it remotely. It's my only Window machine! I will give Team View a look.

Comment

If you have Windows Pro version on your server you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store on your Mac. Otherwise, as Pete suggests, Teamviewer is a good option which gives you the ability to log in outside of your local network without a VPN.

Regards,

Ps. If you do have Windows Pro, I don't believe Remote Desktop is enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          If you have Windows Pro version on your server you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store on your Mac. Otherwise, as Pete suggests, Teamviewer is a good option which gives you the ability to log in outside of your local network without a VPN.

Regards,

Ps. If you do have Windows Pro, I don't believe Remote Desktop is enabled by default.
          You could always use RDPWRAP (look in github) if you don't have Windows Pro to "emulate" the remote desktop

Comment

I downloaded TeamViewer. Worked like a charm! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X