Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Help - VRCOP

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle.
    For years, I have had an OmniPro II running my home automation (thermostats, Lutron Radio Ra). Last year I added some Z-Wave devices to my home (mostly so I could control Z-wave Locks). I purchased and installed the VRCOP. It is not particularly easy to program or reliable.

I just purchased an HS Zee S2 (and the Omni plug-in). I think I'd like to let it be the primary controller for my Z-Wave network (and bypass the Omni). I've read that I could then use the VRCOP as a secondary controller.

My first question is whether I need to exclude all of my Z-Wave devices from the network being controlled by the VRCOP and build a "new" network using the Zee S2?

Once I've done that I'll try to program the new network to the VRCOP. Is that correct? If so, how do I accomplish that programming?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum SHPHomeSeer.

Here the Leviton VRCOP, Samsung Smartthings and HS3 ZWave all act as primary controllers. Note that you will not see status of your ZWavYe devices using one controller and looking at status with another one.

It's been a couple of years since I have done this...so will provide the short math approach (one I remember).

Reset your Leviton VRCOP to factory default.

Press and hold the programming button on the VRCOP until the LED turns Amber and then turns Red. Release the button and wait until the LED starts blinking Green. NOTE: This can take up to a minute. The module is now reset. Once the module is reset, it will be necessary to Re-Include it to a network before it can be used.

Put your VRCOP next to your HS3 ZWave. Here use a DIY ZNet like device.

Your VRCOP afterwards will have a copy of the ZNET network. You will need to program your ZWave device/unit numbers in PCA from scratch.
    The VRCOP will be a primary controller as your ZNET. You can program lighting schedules via PCA, Omni Plugin and via Homeseer.

No VRCOP serial cable / connection is needed for this.

Put the VRCOP in programming mode.

To access Program mode, press and hold programming button until the LED turns Amber.
    Release the button and the LED will blink Amber. You are now in Programming mode.

On the HS3 GUI ZWave interface:

- Configure all of your Z-Wave devices in Homeseer first.
    - go to plugins / manager / ZWave controller management
    - ZWave Interfaces / Actions
    NOTE: this assumes that you have configured all of your ZWave devices in Homeseer 3 ZWave.

- Send Network information to another controller

[ATTACH]67674[/ATTACH]

It will take a few minutes and you can watch status on the HS3 GUI as it uploads the ZWave stuff to the Leviton VRCOP.

As mentioned above note that you will not see status of devices between controllers and only units, locks and (thermostats) will work with the OmniPro panel.

Here also have replicated the Homeseer 3 ZWave network to the Samsung Smartthings hub.
    Last edited by Pete; March 24, 2018, 04:03 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete

I am trying to add the VCR0P (Vizia rf +3) to the Homeseer SmartStick+ z-wave network. The two devices are next to each other. I have reset the VCR0P and started "inclusion" (Program mode), but the Homeseer z-wave plugin reports an error each time;
      "Error - Add node failed reported by controller - you may try again. A "Restart" has been done on your controller."
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	1374819

EDIT - I was trying to add as a node.
      Did "Send network information to another controller" after entering programming mode on the VCR0P, that appears to have worked...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Successful.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	1374836

Comment

Good news!!!

Yes here just sent the info from the ZNet like device (via Homeseer) to the VRCOP. Note it is an autonomous network and I have my VRCOP attached to my OmniPro 2 panel.

I also replicated the Homeseer ZWave network to the Smartthings Hub the same way (It is also autonmous).

Automous ==> you cannot see status between the three controllers. IE: if you turn on a HS3 ZWave device you will not see the status using the VRCOP.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Does this pin out look correct for the RJ11 to DB9 cable?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ELK RJ11 to DB9 cable pinout.jpg Views:	18 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	1374881

VERIFIED CORRECT, can connect with serial port and putty program to operate NODES.

Comment

This is a copy of the VRC0P programming instructions. Details the format for sending serial commands with program like "putty" to operate nodes.

VRC0P_ASCII_Programming_Application_Note.pdf

I have had zero luck with the "VRUSB-1US Vizia RF + Installer tool " sending nodes to the VRC0P. (Multiple failures with making associations in 232 setup)

Homeseer Z-wave with the Smartstick+ does appear to transfer nodes to VRC0P as shown in bottom of post 3 (Start inclusion/programming mode on VRC0P before starting "Send to" in Homeseer).
            Nodes verified with putty on computer.

No luck getting ELK M1G to operate nodes......
            Attached Files

Comment

Is there a similar way to send a network to a VRCOP in HS4? I'm using the Nortek HUSBZB-1 and do not see an option to "Send Network information to another controller".

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Welcome to the forum SHPHomeSeer.

No VRCOP serial cable / connection is needed for this.

Put the VRCOP in programming mode.

To access Program mode, press and hold programming button until the LED turns Amber.
                Release the button and the LED will blink Amber. You are now in Programming mode.

On the HS3 GUI ZWave interface:

- Configure all of your Z-Wave devices in Homeseer first.
                - go to plugins / manager / ZWave controller management
                - ZWave Interfaces / Actions
                NOTE: this assumes that you have configured all of your ZWave devices in Homeseer 3 ZWave.

- Send Network information to another controller

[ATTACH]67674[/ATTACH]

It will take a few minutes and you can watch status on the HS3 GUI as it uploads the ZWave stuff to the Leviton VRCOP.

As mentioned above note that you will not see status of devices between controllers and only units, locks and (thermostats) will work with the OmniPro panel.

Here also have replicated the Homeseer 3 ZWave network to the Samsung Smartthings hub.
                Pete,

I've had a VRCOP on a shelf for a year now as I thought I couldn't control one and see it on the other. But I'm rather sure that with Rob Mason's rmasonjr Omni interface, if a device changes on the Omni, it will show up on the plugin as one of the Omni plugin devices. I can then write an event on Omni Device Status change to actually update the status on the HS Z-Wave cousin.

Does the above (No Serial Cable Needed) procedure above work if I were to just plug the VRCOP right into the HS3 Windows 10 server to copy the HS information to the controller?

Also, I assume if I add another Z-Wave device, I would have to take the VRCOP and do another transfer to it, correct?

Thanks for the detailed procedure. Now, I'm happier that I can have both HS3 and my OmniPro control the devices.

I can use OmniPro buttons, or Messages in the future if Rob decides to add the Message support, in the plugin to tell the OmniPro that HS3 changed the status on devices that the OmniPro cares about in a security setting. Of course HS will have many more Z-Wave devices that the Omni won't care about so won't have to write a ton of sync code.

g

Comment

Does the above (No Serial Cable Needed) procedure above work if I were to just plug the VRCOP right into the HS3 Windows 10 server to copy the HS information to the controller?

No.

The way I did it was just putting the VRCop in recieve mode and the ZWave controller (ZNet DIY) in send mode. Note that for the OmniPro panel only ZWave light switches or appliance modules can be utilized. IE: no sensors.

Also, I assume if I add another Z-Wave device, I would have to take the VRCOP and do another transfer to it, correct?

That is the way I did it.

I still have the VRCop and Zigbee ZIM plugged in to the OmniPro panel but no longer using ZWave or Zigbee these days in one house. (just UPB these days).

A side rambling note now.....

I am now using the proprietary Ring alarm system in house #2 which uses wireless ZWave sensors (with batteries) and a Ring to MQTT application such that you can manage and monitor the panel remotely without using the Ring web page or Ring iOS or Android app and use the mcsMQTT plugin. The Ring hub has a built in cellular modem for backup but it is all managed in the cloud.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                  X