HS3 on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

Today much of my Linux Ubuntu boxes are running 16.06 64bit Ubuntu.

Recently here updated my MythTV and DVR box to 16.04 64 bit. Looks to be stable for these two boxes.

Still running HS3 Pro and HS3 lite on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Thinking of updating the HS3 Lite box to Ubuntu 16.04 first.

Anybody out there running HS3 on Ubuntu 16.04?

Any issues?

What Mono version are you using?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

I'm running HS3 on ubuntu 16.04 - no issues at all! Any tips on how to find my installed version of mono? I ran the following and I'm not entirely sure which package it is (it lists a ton of things, mostly libraries from what I can tell):

# apt list --installed | grep mono

Maybe this is it?
    mono-4.0-gac/xenial,xenial,now 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 all [installed,automatic]

Comment

I think "mono --version" will list the version installed...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Here left the Ubuntu 14.04 machines at mono 3.12.

I did test the Pine64 / 2Gb ARM computer with HS3 lite running Mono 4.X for a short time and it appeared to be running OK.

I am currently updating the new HS3 lite (old Zee-2) running on a dual core AMD to Ubuntu 16.04 (Xi3/Xi5A machine).

It is running headless and moving it to a connected monitor to do the update.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

No issues that I know of with the following:

# mono --version
          Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4)

Comment

Thank you Jon.

Just started to update the HS3 Lite here.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Updated HS3 lite to Ubuntu 16.04. Homeseer3 lite is working fine.

Noticed too that it updated mono to 4.X without any intervention on my part.

Next the HS3Pro big/little box which is doing more than the little HS3 Lite (Zee-2) box.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; August 5, 2016, 07:38 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm still running 14.04 with Mono 4.4.2. No problems. I am running 16.04 on two desktops. One of them is very unstable and the other one is pretty much only used to configure routers and servers so it doesn't get much use. I have been avoiding upgrading to 16.04 because of that desktop. It locks up at least once a day. From everyone else's comments it sounds like my desktop problem may not be related to 16.04.

Comment

Thank you Mike.

Noticed this on the HS3 lite box yesterday. Only saw it twice. Looks fine log wise today.

Compiling script Startup.vb: Visual Basic.Net Compiler version 0.0.0.5943 (Mono 4.0.1 - tarball) Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge. All rights reserved. vbnc : Command line : error VBNC2017: The library 'System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll' could not be found. There were 1 errors and 0 warnings. Compilation took 00:00:00.4024460

I am going to wait on the HS3Pro box for a little bit now seeing the issues with mySQL updates.

I am having no issues with main Zoneminder and two test boxes running Ubuntu 16.04 server built from scratch.

I thought the MythTV / VDR / SqueezeServer boxes were doing fine running 16.04. All three are down and not running this morning. Looks that the MySQL update is trashed on two of the boxes. Manually started Squeezeserver and it just upchucks.

Thinking here will redo them all from scratch. I should have left these boxes alone. Thinking easiest fix will be to Squeezebox server. Both VDR/MythTV are more custom.

Laptop is doing OK but my test desktop is not. It appears to be an issue with Intel video drivers on the test desktop for me. It'll run fine then I push it and the video goes crazy.
                  Last edited by Pete; August 6, 2016, 11:06 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

No issues except for one with the HS3 Zee-2 box running on Ubuntu 16.04 (upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04). It was a mono issue relating to my autostart ssh session to run the Z-Wave hardware on the original Zee-2. Reading here through the threads and guesstimating I did a sort of partial mono-complete install which fixed my issue.

Note that the update did update mono but didn't include all of the pieces and that was it.

I am running fine now.

With two other boxes I had major issues....
                    I had issues here with the MythTV / Squeezebox server and VDR server updates going from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04. All related to customized DB stuff. Funny thing is that I do not even watch TV and record little these days.

There were still issues relating to new MythTV box build and really it just related to updating MythTV and the box before configuring MythTV it which sort of was a PITA.

Yesterday rebuilt these two boxes and it took less time to start from scratch than trying to fix up the updated 14.04 boxes.

The above noted I am doing a bunch more stuff here with my HS3Pro box running in Ubuntu 14.04 such that I decided to build a second test box then just redo the primary HS3 box from scratch now building a new Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah I figured it was time for a rebuild on that 16.04 I was having trouble with. It went 14.04 - 15.10 - 16.04. So I wiped it and started over. Two days now without any lockups. I could have done a better job backing up configurations so I have had to put a little work in getting it set up just so. Picky in my old age. Plus I'm adding VirtualBox so I don't have to go restart my dual boot machine to run Windows software.

Comment

Yeah been updating Ubuntu laptops / desktops with no issues (14-15-16). They run only Ubuntu these days with an al carte side of whatever is needed whenever it is needed.

The Ubuntu servers just keep ticking and ever break so updating them has been slow until I decided to update two NVR's at the same time. (really though I do not watch or record much live TV these days). Hopefully soon I would like to be able to transcode a two hour video in 60 seconds...probably have to wait a long time for that though...
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Mike,

Updated HS3 Pro today. A few little concerns. Went from Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit to Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Issues

1 - update messed with mySQL DB. I was left half configured. Had issues removing it. After a bit of this and that fully removed mySQL and reinstalled it.
                          2 - the update updated Mono 3.12 to Mono 4.XX
                          3 - running HS3 Pro after the update noticed some missing stuff in Mono. Installed mono-complete and all was well starting HS.
                          4 - as mentioned previously and by RIch. Updating Mono deleted my reoccurring events. Went though them one by one and rebuilt the events (while time consuming gave me a change to review my stuff).

Been running fine now for the last few hours.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am running ubuntu 16.4 on most of mine units and a couple now have Yakaty (I think its 16.10). Everything seems to run fine other than trying to get them to do the remote thing , which i would love to do and only have one version of HS3 running. They dont seem to connect and all my z-sticks want to use the same and being a new fan of Linux not sure how to force the change to a different port.

Pete how do you like the Pine board? I relly like the odroids but all i have tried is the RPI and RPI Zero and Odroids boards.

Comment

Curious what Mono version you are using with Yakaty (16.10)?

Personally here and because of HS3 being a server I go really slow with this stuff. IE: laptop / desktop is not an issue.

Here now having HS3 Pro and HS3 Lite and old RPi2 (Zee-2) all chatting and sharing data.

With the original Zee-2 RPi2 I had installed the Z-Wave Me GPIO card / PiFace / 1-Wire with a POE connection in the attic. (plus X10 & UPB). I turned it to a remote all to the HS3 Lite and HS3 Pro box.

Having the GPIO Card in the RPi2 in the attic does cover the entire house and outside with my test Z-Wave devices. I have not used the two USB sticks that I have.

BTW you can hard set the USB stick such that it goes to a linked sym link name which is dynamic to the hardware versus the USB port. That said too though using Digi Edgeports / Digi Hub with the HS3 Pro box.

Pete how do you like the Pine board?

The Pine64 2 Gb board running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit is fast. I am a happy camper as it runs circles around the RPi2 and is running 64bit. Well too Jessie/Ubuntu is not available yet for the RPi in 64 bit mode. (I think).

I ran it without a case for a couple of weeks then purchased that plexiglass case made by the guitar maker in Spain. The Pine64 includes an RTC with battery clock (the battery was a separate purchase). Not using the HDMI port as it is running headless and doing well. I have read though not to use it for a KODI box. I had earlier tested the RPi2 running Kodi and it did fine. Goal with the little Kodi box was to mount it in the kitchen box behind the flush mount LCD TV in the kitchen. Got to installing Kodi, connecting cat5e to the LCD box and purchased a very short HDMI cable. BUT never did install it. Well too we never turn on the TV there anyways.

I purchased a reburbished Xi3/Xi5A for a song and a dance and been flip flopping using this device and the Pine64 2Gb machine to run Homeseer 3 lite. I just like that the Xi5A has a fast mSATA card in it. It is an AMD dual core and just like a regular PC only in a miniature form.

I have read you can just do the Jessie boot from the boot partition and connect a USB SSD drive to it.

I am running my irrigation program today on a Seagate Dockstar with Mono and two USB SSD drives. One is actually a USB to ZIF to SSD card (tiny thing) and the other SSD is a Kingspec SSD drive. It is way bigger than a regular USB stick and running very well these days. It does an image from main SSD to backup SSD every night for DR just in case.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X