X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Pet door, ideas

I have the following per door:

http://www.dogdoors.com/products/27/...wall_units.php

It is rfid. My garage has metal siding on it. I tried the long range rfid on it but it still does not have the rage that I want.

So I am looking for ideas on how to take control of it, give it say a range of 2-3' from the door. My thoughts are:
    Contact Closure- I currently use 3 UPB CC for various purposes.
    Bluetooth-small bluetooth dongle on my dogs collar opens the door when connects.
    or
    Maybe an ibeacon.

I can provide pictures of the board inside the door. It does have an antenna but I am pretty disappointed in the rfid range for this door. The lack of range seems to make it difficult to train my dog to use the door.

Thoughts

I'm not sure I understand the problem.
    Is it that the door opens too slowly or makes too much noise when it opens, or is the dog just not curious enough to get close to it to trigger the motor? (I suspect the manufacturer is trying to avoid having the door open when your dog is not right in front of it so that another animal cannot sneak in.)
    Is it opaque or transparent?

We have this door for our cats. It uses their implanted chip as a tirgger, which is quite convenient. They push it open, and it unlatches just as the head makes contact with the door. It didn't take more than an hour for our cats to become comfortable using it. I just stood on the other side of the door and called to them with a toy. (It's transparent, so they can see what is on the other side. If it weren't, it would likely have been more difficult to 'explain' the purpose to them.)

What about latching it open for a while and then play with the dog back and forth through the opening until he comes to expect to be able to use it routinely? Would that be enough to get him to explore it once it is operating normally?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      I'm not sure I understand the problem.
      Is it that the door opens too slowly or makes too much noise when it opens, or is the dog just not curious enough to get close to it to trigger the motor? (I suspect the manufacturer is trying to avoid having the door open when your dog is not right in front of it so that another animal cannot sneak in.)
      Is it opaque or transparent?

We have this door for our cats. It uses their implanted chip as a tirgger, which is quite convenient. They push it open, and it unlatches just as the head makes contact with the door. It didn't take more than an hour for our cats to become comfortable using it. I just stood on the other side of the door and called to them with a toy. (It's transparent, so they can see what is on the other side. If it weren't, it would likely have been more difficult to 'explain' the purpose to them.)

What about latching it open for a while and then play with the dog back and forth through the opening until he comes to expect to be able to use it routinely? Would that be enough to get him to explore it once it is operating normally?

The problem is the rfid tag opening the door. Inside (where the antenna is located) I get say 12" (not bad) but if the dog puts head down it shortens that distance. The outside I only get 6 inches. This is in a 2x6 wall. So the edge of the opening that the dog walks through. Now account for the head and neck of the large dog and that is not enough to open the door and virtually impossible to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, now I understand. Can you move the antenna or add another one in parallel with it? Have you posed your problem to the manufacturer?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Okay, now I understand. Can you move the antenna or add another one in parallel with it? Have you posed your problem to the manufacturer?

Yes they sent me the long range circuit board and fobs. This was the results of my testing of the long range items sent to me. Kind of a weird situation because when I got the door I did not do Ha. I was never able to get it to activate from a decent range and my dog then was very skittish so I gave up. I got interested again in solving this but it is way out of warranty and they sent me the parts recently to help me out.
          My house always has problems with wireless anything due to being a metal box. Metal siding and metal roof. I would be interested in running a antenna in parallel if that is possible. I would love to get 2' out of the range then it would be easy to train my dog. Do you know much about rfid antennas? I was thinking of posting some pictures of the circuit board and antenna setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have any experience with passive RFID - aside from having an alarm go off every now and then when a tag isn't deactivated at checkout. I was hoping the manufacturer would be interested in helping solve the problem and have a recommendation.

What are the chances you could train your dog to walk up to the door from the side, so his neck would be close to the wall?

Comment

I don't have any experience with passive RFID - aside from having an alarm go off every now and then when a tag isn't deactivated at checkout. I was hoping the manufacturer would be interested in helping solve the problem and have a recommendation.

What are the chances you could train your dog to walk up to the door from the side, so his neck would be close to the wall?
              The door is in a corner where the house and garage meet, so no chance of that. I am going to call and see if they have had anything similar or maybe an antenna recommendation.

Thanks for responding

Comment

Passive is passive and not made for any sort of long range. Active RFID is different.

That said use active RFID.

Active tags broadcast a signal, so they have a much longer read range—300 feet or more—than passive tags. The read range of passive tags depends on many factors: the frequency of operation, the power of the reader, interference from other RF devices and so on. In general, low-frequency and high-frequency tags tags are read from within three feet (1 meter) and UHF tags are read from 10 to 20 feet. Readers with phased array antennas can increase the read range of passive tags to 60 feet or more.

Googling found a company that uses Ultrasonic sensing versus RFID sensing with a statement that saids Ultrasonic sensing works better than radio sensing.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X