Homeseer connected oven/bbq thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer connected oven/bbq thermometer

Hi folks - I found some years-old threads about this, but nothing recent.

What is the best current solution for an oven/bbq thermometer that I can connect to Homeseer so I can trigger events (e.g. meat is ready is announced using TTS over my speaker system).

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
    Hi folks - I found some years-old threads about this, but nothing recent.

What is the best current solution for an oven/bbq thermometer that I can connect to Homeseer so I can trigger events (e.g. meat is ready is announced using TTS over my speaker system).
    Personally whilst there is no need for me to have a solution for this if I was looking at one I would probably look at something like a thermocouple connected to an ESP8266 which could update HS device values directly if you found a suitable thermocouple amplifier that could talk to something like the ESPEasy firmware.

Comment

I use the Maverick ET-732 in conjunction with the RFXCOM plugin and RFXtrx433 transceiver. It works well and has dual probes.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Here we use AW131
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RL2ZGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        From Oregon Scientific
        You'll need the RFXCOM radio and plugin.
        It works great, cooked a pork loin roast with it just last night
        Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
        | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
        Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
        BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
          I use the Maverick ET-732 in conjunction with the RFXCOM plugin and RFXtrx433 transceiver. It works well and has dual probes.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
          Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
          Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Thanks guys - this is really great. So, I'm a novice at Homeseer but learning quickly. I'm familiar with zwave but never done any automating using RF.

Can you give me a quick overview of how RFX works? Is it essentially that the home-troller will be able to receive / send RF signals using the transceiver and plugin? i.e. I would buy the RFXtrx433 (any recommendations where from? Doesn't seem to be on Amazon) and the plugin.

....But then what? RF is simply a way of broadcasting; how would Homeseer and the RFX plugin know/understand what the thermometer, for example, is sending out?

Thanks so much.

Comment

Hi folks - just checking in here if anyone can help further. Thanks!

Comment

You're correct that you'll need a receiver (or transceiver) and plugin. RFXtrx433 is what you'll want for 433Mhz devices like Oregon sensors and the BBQ thermometers. You can buy the transceiver from RFXCOM's website at rfxcom dot com.

The sensors all broadcast an ID, so that's how HomeSeer associates each one with a unique device. The plugin manages the association for you.
                Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Got it - thanks reidfo. Last question - how will I know which ID is which product? Is that required to be published somewhere? Or is there a discovery sniffing process the plugin manages?

Comment

The plugin will discover devices. If you have a bunch of them, it can sometimes be tricky to tell which is which, especially if they are similar models. I typically put batteries in one device, discover and add to HS, then move on to the next device.

Comment

Working...
                    X