Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create a simple security system

Hi all,
    New to HS3 Pro, just installed an array of zwave devices and have each of them installed on the controller.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a basic security system setup, I dont know if I need to make Virtual Devices or Events or what. This is what i'm looking to do...

On HS3 Touch, have a button to Arm the alarm, and a 4 digit PIN to Disarm it. I see the Passcode graphic under Android>Custom tab so I figure that would be what to use?

When Arming, wait 30 seconds, then fully arm the system which turns on Motion detectors, Window and Door sensors. Then if any are Triggered to notify all of the Touch devices, text and probably email and sound the siren (I made an Event and ran it to send s Notify the HS Touch devices, it didnt make any sound on any of the devices, just a simple notification in the status bar, so thats not good enough)...

If window or motion sensors are triggered, immediately send notifications and sound the alarm... if one of the Door sensors are triggered, hold for 10 seconds (enough time to disarm with the PIN) then sound alarm if not disarmed within the timeframe.

I'm sure someone has already done this have theres threads on this, I just can't seem to find any.

Thanks all for the help!

While it's true you can do some of what you want in HS, I'd really recommend a standalone security panel that communicates with HS - something like an Omni, DSC, or ELK.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

yes i'm looking to do that later on, but for now just use the current setup

Comment

Thoughts?

Comment

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't suggest that anyone use HS3 as a security system. They make dedicated systems that are very affordable that interface with HS3 via plugins. The DSC security systems are among the least expensive systems and are very good systems. There are even two different HS3 plugins for the DSC line as well.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

So I'm looking at the DSC systems and have a question...

We already have all the following Zwave items: window and door sensors, motion sensors, door locks, flood sensors, sirens, smoke and co detectors, the controller is on a battery backup system already, the internet for the controller is cellular and it also on battery backup.

So in looking at these DSC systems, everything we already have seems to be exactly what they have as all the sensors are wireless and battery operated, the controller and communication all have battery backups...

so why bother with one of these systems?

Comment

Comment

Just a thought, what really is the purpose of a security system without active monitoring? At that point, it is more just an alarm system. If you want police dispatch, this isn't the way to do it.

For the low additional cost of a good DSC system and affordable monitoring from a company like Alarm Relay you stand to gain a lot of security versus a DIY smart home system.

If you are going to roll your own, consider a redundant communication form, like cable and 4G internet and make sure your battery backup can support the whole system and network for a day or two. These are going to be the easiest and most common attempts to defeat a security system because both can be disabled from outside the home.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X