www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer and Google Home

HomeSeer and Google Home Discussions related to using HomeSeer with the Google Home device

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Seer

Can HS use Google Home for making announcements?

Guys, is it possible to use the Google Home integration for homeseer to make voice announcements via Google Home and Chromecast Audio devices in the home?

I know there are capabilities in their API to be able to do things like this, but if the current integration doesn't support this, is there a plan to implement that in a future release? It seems like the obvious thing to do.

Thanks,
mike
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Viewer

I too would like to know this..
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Seer

So with all the Google news, is there any more clarity on whether or not HS can speak announcements through Google home and chromecast?

thx
mike
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
Guys, is it possible to use the Google Home integration for homeseer to make voice announcements via Google Home and Chromecast Audio devices in the home?

I know there are capabilities in their API to be able to do things like this, but if the current integration doesn't support this, is there a plan to implement that in a future release? It seems like the obvious thing to do.

Thanks,
mike
Its not direct however I have had good luck with the HomeSeer Squeezebox Plugin from Philippe Printz connected to Logitech Media Server and using the LMS Chromecast Bridge plugin to connect in GoogleHome. It took a bit to configure however it works great and also gives you the ability to play Airplay sources (i.e. Apple Music) to Google Home.
Old May 25th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Seer

Yes, I was thinking about doing the same thing. It's definitely a lot of work to setup and configure, just to be able to speak announcements from HS which is supposed to be integrated with Home.

You do have the issue that it doesn't go back to what was playing before after the announcement completes, which is not quite the same compared with using SONOS-PI or a hardwired audio switcher.

Is this a HS todo item to make this work, or something Google needs to do?

thx
mike
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Seer

Can HS use Google Home for making announcements?

So, I would say since the characteristics of this changes depending on what is being played (stream from Apple Music through iPhone using LMS - then picks up where left off vs streamed from LMS - then restarts) it probably is the LMS. The good news is LMS has a healthy amount of settings and possible plugins that may fix the issue - there are also a few forums dedicated to LMS. Also another possibility is to script the event with "if playing then pause".... I'm not sure how far that would go.

Ideally google should just accept outbound speech or have an API for TTS. For now this works pretty well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
Is this a HS todo item to make this work, or something Google needs to do?

thx
mike
If you are asking if it's an HST or Google todo to allow announcements/alerts on the Google Home, then I believe that falls on Google and then perhaps HST (or a plugin developer). I do not believe at this moment in time that the Google Home allows for sending alerts or announcements to it directly. I've read that they will allow notifications, but it sounded more like it was just from Google themselves. Even then, Google's implementation seems to be to queue them and merely turn on the top lights to let you know you have notifications waiting instead of just blurting them out. While I like that idea for most notifications I would get from other services, from Homeseer I would like my announcements to be spoken immediately instead of Queued.

Amazon has also announced announcements/notification, but I'm not 100% sure how they will work. I think they will be real time, which is more in line with what we want. I really want to switch to Google Home because I'm heavily vested in Google Music (which I don't see Google ever putting on the Echos), but it just seems that the Echo is going in the direction I want.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:06 PM
Seer Deluxe

Are there any updates on this functionality?
Is there a chance GH devices will be be able to make voice announcements from HS?
Thank you
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
Are there any updates on this functionality?
Is there a chance GH devices will be be able to make voice announcements from HS?
Thank you
You can do it using the chromecast plugin: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191073
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Seer

I've been investigating this question in a thread in the Chromecast plugin fourm: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=194367

Yes, the Homeseer chromecast plugin will let you cast text-to-speech to your google homes. However, it will be Homeseer's TTS and not google's. Homeseer's linux TTS is pretty bad and while MS's TTS is better, it still sounds funny when your home replies with different voices.

Home Assistant, the open source home automation software, has this built-in. You are able to type in any text and your google home or chromecast will speak it in the same voice that it uses for everything else.

Home Assistant appears to use the same google translate method that Homeseer's old Google TTS used. However, a couple years ago Google added some Captcha which broke Homeseer's Google TTS. Since Home Assistant is open source, the necessary modifications to get Google TTS working in Homeseer are probably right there.
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Seer Deluxe

Google Assistant on my phone can use the "Broadcast" command to repeat a statement, even when not on the network. For instance, while watching my daughter's lacrosse game I can start the Assistant on my phone (This varies depending on how your phone is configured) and say "Broadcast: The score is now 7-5!" and my voice comes across the Google Home units in the house saying "The score is now 7-5!" If I type the command it is announced in the generic Google Home voice. Apparently Tasker can send commands to Google Assistant and get a Broadcast to occur. Apparently there is a Conversation API. Perhaps this opens up Google Home possibilities that may or may not require an account for the HomeSeer instance?
Old April 11th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Seer Master

If your HomeSeer is Windows, install IVONA voices. Go to Windows speech settings and change to IVONA. The speech will be sent to all your clients

Eman.
Old April 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Seer Deluxe

On Windows 10 platform I have a choice between David, Mark and Zira. I do not see IVONA. Also how is the voice choice in Windows related to the original question of getting HS voice responses on GH devices.
Old April 11th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by risquare View Post
On Windows 10 platform I have a choice between David, Mark and Zira. I do not see IVONA. Also how is the voice choice in Windows related to the original question of getting HS voice responses on GH devices.
1. Download IVONA voices from here : https://www.ivona.com/ ====> They sound "human" or natural!

2. Google Home (GH) are speaker devices. Just as others have mentioned above that they use Chromecast to have them communicate with HomeSeer.

I have IVONA voices and once changed in the speech settings are the voices sent to HSTouch devices (IOS and Android). So as others are using GH devices they get the voices directly from HomeSeer server.

Note : The Speech speed is set at the server side.

Go here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175392 and read more about it.

EDIT : IVONA do take you around corners these days (I got mine years ago!) but read this : https://www.trishtech.com/2016/12/ho...in-windows-10/

Eman.

Last edited by Eman; April 11th, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 17th, 2018, 05:05 AM
Seer Deluxe

Here you go...

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...40#post1361540