Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 friendly power supply

Guys,
    My power supply went out on my weather server last week and I had a spare $15 power supply. Well this thing is putting noise on the power line so bad that I seeing lights go on and off. I need a good clean power supply. What's recommended? The cheaper the better.
    It's a 300 watt ATX PS.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Hi Rupp,

The "El Chepo" power supplies usually don't have published specs.

A UPS is usually the cure for clean power both in (to the PC) and out. APC is the best known brand. However an less expensive, emerging brand is OPTI-UPS. I have several of their 1400VA models.

Just don't plug your X10 interface into your UPS and expect the signals to go anywhere. I unknowingly did and it was several hours before it dawned on my why all X10 in my house was dead.

Cheers,
    Bill

Comment

Rupp, look for one that has FCC approval. Preferably FCC Class B (for residential use), since class B is stricter than class A (for office use) in regards to emissions back down the powerline. If it doesn't have FCC approval, there is probably a good reason.

Hey, I'm a programmer. Why am I always answering the hardware questions?

Comment

Originally posted by rocco
        Hey, I'm a programmer. Why am I always answering the hardware questions?
        I dunno but you've help me out before

Plugging a really bad power supply into a UPS doesn't always work either. I have one PC that is so bad nothing has fixed the noise. I bought another power supply for it but haven't installed it. Not sure on the FCC rating but thats a great idea for future problems.
        Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

That funny. I plugged it into my APC UPS thinking it would help. Not only that I have an X10 module plugged into that UPS and I can control it perfectly. So I'm batting a zero.

Comment

UPS's suck up a bunch of X10 Signal. Need a filter on that badboy. I ran into the powersupply problem w/ a cheap case I bought last year too. Had to anty up the $$ for a Antec and the problems went away.
            HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Thanks. So It's either a filter or new power supply. The funny thing is I can by an Antec case with a 300W PS just about as cheap as I can the PS itself.

Comment

Hey, maybe you could buy one of those really cool cases w/ the clear window and lots of flashing neon lights!

BTW, even with filters the cheap power supply's kill the X10 bad. I had two filters in series and the cheap power supply still killed all the X10. Filter w/ UPS = good. Filter w/ cheap power supply = still don't work!
                HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

So how do you know your getting a "good" power supply?

Comment

Like Rocco mentioned, the FCC approval helps. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.directron.com/psu.html

Comment

The one I bought has a giant FCC symbol on the box. I guess I'll buy it local so I can return it until I get a "good" one. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X