This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Viable?

I used a trial version of this when it first came out, had a few problems and stopped using it. I still like the idea of this and would really love to have a reader at my back door.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion about this product for about the last 10 months or so. Are folks still using it? Is it still a viable product? Is it being updated? Is there any current development?

I am just a little worried about spending $40 on something that won't be around or won't be supported. Been there, done that before...

What is the word on this product?

Rob

Bump!

Is the lack of a response the answer to my question or just a symptom of a long, busy weekend???

Hello?

Rob

Comment

This is a good time to bring this up as I was just getting interested in installing it as well.

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Me too

Comment

I used it with APC biopods. I never did buy it (I had to buy/install a new garage door, as I was going to use it to open said door...I needed the door first). However, while the trial worked, it worked quite well.

only once in a while did it not recognize my fingerprint, and that was mostly due to my not holding my finger in the correct orientation.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I have it opening my garage doors, it works quite well. The big challenge for me was the usb extender.

Comment

Originally posted by basshook View Post
              ... The big challenge for me was the usb extender.
              I am running the trial with a Targus DEFCON. I needed to extend it about 25 feet to get to the back door and am using a series of CHEAPO Dollar Store 6' USB extention cables. 4 of them plus the included Targus cable. It works fine every time. After a 5th cable it gets a little dicey and occsionally does not work.

I may also try a 25' USB-A cable attached to a powered USB hub and then go from there just so I don't have that many connections. Also looking at a ethernet connected serial device with a Serial to USB converter...

But the BIG question is: IS THIS PRODUCT STILL VIABLE???

Rob

Comment

Rob what are you looking for? Sure it's viable if it's what you need. Can you be more spacific. Viable to one isn't to another.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Viable meaning that it is still being supported and is an ongoing product. I have had several experiences with products I have purchased here that are no longer supported.

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/viable
                  Last edited by outbackrob; October 3, 2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Ah, Now that's a good question. I've not seen anyone ask any questions so there's no responses either. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rob, i went about 60 feet with this extender successfully. At about 90 feet it was shaky. As far as support, I have never had an issue and Lux Control seems responsive to questions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16800997018

Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron. I love Newegg and will definitely look at that extender for the front and patio doors.

It looks like they were VERY responsive initially, but its been three months since LuxuryControl has posted here. Perhaps that means the product is great and it needs no support. Perhaps that means it is no longer being developled. I would just like to have a better idea of the current status before I plunk down my $40.

My desire is that it is a viable product and will be around for years and years. It is REALLY cool to be able to have fingerprint control of things. That saves me X10 house codes and I can get rid of the palm pads at ever door. Plus, its a great conversation piece!

Comment

When I used it, it worked flawlessly. The only issue was it couldn't always pickup my finger. I DID determine that it was actually the way I was putting my finger on the device. After I trained how to put my finger down it was 100% every time. Unfortuanatly, I needed a new garage door. As such I couldn't "afford" to get the plugin until I had the new door in.

I will be buying soon.

--Dan
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Ditto!

I noticed the same type of thing initially too. I also have a Microsoft reader we use for our main PC. The Targus DEFCON is a little bit more finicky than that one, but once I learned the best finger placement for it, it has worked well.

Comment

The plugin is working fine as shown by the last poll:
                              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=116048

There are a few outstanding issues, listed here:
                              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=116311

response to the forum will be slow in the next two weeks due to travel plans.

Comment

Working...
                              X