• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please following these instructions to test your caller ID:

http://www.rosewill.com/Mgnt/Uploads...r_terminal.pdf

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

It's an XP guest running within a VMware player on a Vista host

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
      What operating system are you using within your VMWare player?
      Host system is Windows Vista SP2. The "guest" system is XP SP3.

I see another post below this but haven't followed the link yet. Since my original post I have tried to get caller ID info from a putty window from the host (vista) system also...no dice. I get the ring, but no caller ID, same as on the guest system.

I bought this modem specifically because I had understood it was your preferred model for this plugin, and created the fresh XP "guest" system with fresh Homeseer install specifically to try out the plugin. Bummed that it appears to not properly support caller ID now.

I'm on to your other post. Thanks for checking on this.

Comment

Please following these instructions to test your caller ID:

http://www.rosewill.com/Mgnt/Uploads...r_terminal.pdf

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Yeah...found this and tried it and then some. Actually already had echo on but tried that anyway. Set VCID to 1, and verified with at=vcid?. Came back as set to 1 but the modem still wouldn't do it. So I verified again after teh attempt and VCID was still set to 1. So for grins, I tried setting it to 2...checked with vcid? and it said =0. set it back to 1,a nd verified...OK. Set it back to 0 and verified...OK. So the modem will allow me to set vcid to 1, but won't actually do it. it will let me clear VCID back to zero. Tried all this first with hyperterm in the guest OS, and again on the host OS (reassigned the modem to the host first) with putty. Looks to me like this modem just plain doesn't actually do caller id. Tried several other caller id setup strings too, just in case.

I have another one to try before I go buy one. Next attempt will be with a Socket Bluetooth Modem (CM7100-510) http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEYQ8wIwCg#
        that I bought a while back and never used. No mention on the box about caller ID, but it is v.92 and it was an expensive modem. I'll just see if I can get it via hyperterm window on my laptop with bluetooth before I bother trying it with the actual program, and if I find some other initialization string I'll plug that into ultracid setup.

I'll keep you posted. If others have had this issue with the rosewill USB modem and have found some recourse or fix, let me know. I bought it specifically for this purpose.

Thanks for the suggestions.

David

Comment

Also tried later driver

FYI also tried a later driver for the modem. Exact version escapes me but it was a 4.x.x.x version I think. No impact.

Comment

I have two of the Rosewill RNX-56USB Conexant Hardware Based modem and caller ID works on both. Their web site also states it "Supports Caller ID and Distinctive Ring". Have you sent an e-mail to Rosewill and asked for help in getting the caller ID working?
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

If you cannot get it working, I would be interested in purchasing the modem for testing purposes.

Comment

If you cannot get it working, I would be interested in purchasing the modem for testing purposes.
                Which modem are you referring to - the Rosewill or the Socket? If I don't get them working, they will both ultimately end up on Ebay anyway.... If you're interested in building a test modem library I may have others around. Specific interests?

Comment

I have two of the Rosewill RNX-56USB Conexant Hardware Based modem and caller ID works on both. Their web site also states it "Supports Caller ID and Distinctive Ring". Have you sent an e-mail to Rosewill and asked for help in getting the caller ID working?
                  I'll give that a shot. Have you gotten a good response from them?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
                    I'll give that a shot. Have you gotten a good response from them?
                    Eventually. I had to keep escalating until I reached someone that didn't provide standard canned responses.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
                      Which modem are you referring to - the Rosewill or the Socket? If I don't get them working, they will both ultimately end up on Ebay anyway.... If you're interested in building a test modem library I may have others around. Specific interests?
                      The Rosewill modem. I would like to determne if it works on my system. Let me know if/when you post it on eBay.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones

Comment

Eventually. I had to keep escalating until I reached someone that didn't provide standard canned responses.
                        Well, I got my first response from them. I'm beginning to get the idea that maybe they have a known issue with some of the modems. They tell me their technicians are aware of the problem and are working on it, ask me to be patient, but they don't ask me any more questions or give me anything else to try. Very strange.

If it comes to it, I'll PM you on the modem and we'll work something out. No need for it to go on ebay if you want it.

Comment

Hiro modem?

Wondering.... The Hiro H50113 USB modem http://www.amazon.com/Hiro-Lucent-Ex.../dp/B000JWXPPG seems to be highly regarded as a stable caller ID modem. Is it Connexant? Any experience with it?

Comment

They issued an RMA on the modem and I shipped it out yesterday. I probably won't have the new one until sometime late next week.

Comment

Modem here, but just as faulty as the original one

Well, I FINALLY got my replacement modem from Newegg today. Unfortunately the new one is just as worthless as the first, still no caller ID returned even though it replies OK to the at+vcid=1. Shows the ring, shows the off-hook, but no caller ID.

SO back it goes to Newegg for a refund. I'm moving on to the Hiro mentioned above which I hope will be better.
                              Last edited by ; November 2, 2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hiro h50113 works

I have the Hiro h50113 modem, and it works fine for caller ID and for the call drop function. The only thing that doesn't work is the modem can't detect when the other phone extensions are off hook. I can live with that.

So I'm finally able to test the plug-in and so far I like what I see.

Comment

Working...
                                X