No announcement yet.

Questions from someone new to security panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally have done my WIRED system in 3 stages. Each time, just added expansion board, set jumpers, and added in new zones through keypad. Really pretty easy. I can see buying programming software to name zones, BUT since I named all in Envisalink and I really only use HS3 to operate it, named zones in keypad were not necessary for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Thanks for that. It sounds like you are saying that you can add serial adapter to the board, connect it to a IP to serial adapter and leave it connected for programming changes without using the keypad. Is that correct?

If that is true, it would be much more convenient than programming with the keypad. My understanding is that zone labels are stored in the keypad and that you can make changes to one keypad and "push" the changes out to additional keypads. If so, then it begs the question, does the software push the programming out to all keypads?

I just want to try to understand all of the capabilities as well as limitations so that I don't make mistakes building out the system that are difficult to undo later. It seems like these panels were basically designed to be installed in a fully laid out system with little capability for future expansion. For example, is it difficult to add an expansion board 6 months down the road to a working system?
      That's correct, but before using the software to connect to the panel, you need to put the panel in download mode from a keypad. The zone labels as far as I understand are stored on the main board so no matter how you program it (keypad or software), it's pushed to all the keypads. It's easy to add expansion later. As an example, I started with a base PC1832, then replaced the main board with a new version that allowed for support of wireless CO sensors and then later added a wireless keypad along with a few wireless sensors.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

In reading through the manuals, it looks like it is all or nothing when it comes to the type of zone wiring. I have to globally choose single end of line, double end of line, NC or NO. It looks like I cannot mix NC and NO devices for example. Is that correct or can zones be individually configured?
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Where are you planning on purchasing from?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
            Where are you planning on purchasing from?
            Since HomeSeer sells DSC products I won't mention a competing dealer. I did need to find a dealer who had a knowledgeable and reachable technical support staff. I chose the one who answered the phone and answered my questions.

Comment

This seems to be a compelling reason to go with wired door / window sensors and concealed ones too for those with wooden frames and doors.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                A DSC panel will be cheaper and you will probably find more information floating around on how to program them for this reason. Programming one of these panels is NOT intuitive. Once you get the hang of it though it's no big deal.

Are you using the DSC Lc-100-pi PIRs? That's what I've got. When my dog was younger the lowest pet immune setting was fine. Now in one room he can make the lights turn on. I'm wondering about the Bosch devices you've been mentioning. It looks like they have a sensor on the bottom so, theoretically, they could be mounted above a door and catch someone entering a room. True? If so, how well does the bottom mounted sensor work? For me the biggest issues with turning lights on via motion sensor is entering a room. It's very hard to place a motion sensor in such a location that it can see you as soon as you enter the room but can't see through the door and turn the associated light on when you walk by. I keep a spare 100' of 4 conductor cable that I wire to the panel and haul around the house to test sensor placement. I use a duct tape loop to temporarily fasten the sensor. I have had to move a few several times after some weeks of duty. There appears to be no good solution for my bedroom as the entrance is blocked by a bump out closet.

As I have said, I see next to no delay with the cheap DSC PIRs. I have experimented extensively with this. When you configure them there is a red light which comes on upon sensing motion. I haven't been able to identify any significant (more than a fraction of a second) discrepancy between the light coming on and HS3 running an event. Although maybe the delay of a second is the norm and I'm just awesome. Everyone, let us not rule this last possibility out!

Here are pictures of the Bosch straight PIR sensor. It has a single PIR sensor mounted st about a 30 degree angle. The "pet immunity" setting is a mechanical flap that restricts the vertical field of view.

The Tritech sensors have the same single PIR, but their "pet immunity" settings are all electronic. The microwave sensor has two antennas etched into the vertical PC board, so I imagine it has a fairly broad field of detection, probably about 45 degrees or more in every direction relative to the circuit board.

Click on any image for a larger version

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  There is also software available for programming and with it you can also backup and restore the config to a new board. It's called DLS and you can find it on this page: https://support.aartech.ca/index.php...mming-software. With it you need a connection to the serial port on the main board. You can build or buy the interface needed: https://www.aartech.ca/pclink-scw-ds...cable-kit.html. I have mine connected to a device server so I can run DLS anywhere on the network.

Cheers
                  Al
                  I programmed my DSC alarm with the DLS 5 software. This software made it easy to program the panel in a windowed environment without having to enter a lot of commands at the keypad. The selections in the software provide help for the different options and make selection easier. This software will save you a lot of time, especially if you want to make minor changes to check functionality differences with the system. You will need to make sure you understand the difference between upload and download. To me it seems backwards...

Good luck on your selection Randy.
                  Billy

Comment

In reading through the manuals, it looks like it is all or nothing when it comes to the type of zone wiring. I have to globally choose single end of line, double end of line, NC or NO. It looks like I cannot mix NC and NO devices for example. Is that correct or can zones be individually configured?
                    I do not have a manual with me but I believe that is correct if you are talking about section [013], that would set it for the entire panel. However you could leave this set to "No End Of Line" and set the options on each zone, see section [101][9] for Zone 1, [102][9] for Zone 2 etc... I attached a few screen shots of these sections from the DSL software.
                    Attached Files
                    Billy

Comment

Does anyone have any pictures of a panel with multiple zone expansion modules? I am trying to figure out how to position the modules in the cabinet. Mine is quite full with the main board, battery, IT-100. Does everyone just get an additional cabinet?
                      Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
                        Does anyone have any pictures of a panel with multiple zone expansion modules? I am trying to figure out how to position the modules in the cabinet. Mine is quite full with the main board, battery, IT-100. Does everyone just get an additional cabinet?
                        Thanks for your software pictures, that helps a lot. I will be getting the serial cable with my panel and have downloaded the software.

With regard to expansion boards, it is my understanding that the standard cabinet will accommodate an expansion board on each side of the main board. They are mounted to the side of the cabinets. For my installation it makes more sense to mount the expansion boards remotely to save on wiring. I will probably only mount the Envisalink interface in the main cabinet.

Comment

Thanks for your software pictures, that helps a lot. I will be getting the serial cable with my panel and have downloaded the software.

With regard to expansion boards, it is my understanding that the standard cabinet will accommodate an expansion board on each side of the main board. They are mounted to the side of the cabinets. For my installation it makes more sense to mount the expansion boards remotely to save on wiring. I will probably only mount the Envisalink interface in the main cabinet.
                          No problem, glad to help. I think you will find programming the panel with the software to be a much easier task. I programmed some of my DSC panel with the keypad, and I quickly looked for an alternative. If I installed these panels everyday, then it would probably be second nature...

On the external panel, good idea. Thanks
                          Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
                            Here's a picture of my PC1864 with IT-100 (left side) and 2 zone expansion modules on the right. Originally the house came with a smaller DSC board and housing. I replaced both and went to the larger housing to accommodate the expansion modules.
                            Attached Files
                            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I have been following this thread with interest as I have been contemplating for a long time ditching my expensive ADT contract and my current panel cannot be 'integrated' - GE/ITI Concord Express.

One of the core things that I am interested in is wired combo CO/Smoke detectors and also wired motions. A recessed ceiling triple-play would be a killer device, especially if it had PIR and microwave motion sensing.

Back to (somewhat) reality. Nest had an alarm panel enabled smoke detector for a while, but that seems to have been part of the Nest Protect recall and that has not been re-launched with the current v2 Protect. This might seem a bit backwards, but what hardware would be needed to trigger a zone on a DSC panel from the Nest device in HS3 (I am using Spud's Nest PI) An Arduino or some simpler type of relay?

It's just a thought and I've read all the cautions about mixing HA and Fire/Security systems.

Anyway, just a random Monday thought
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Cheeryfool, I assume you leave adt when you finish the contract? It's pretty hard here to get out of security company contracts . If you're out of contract just use your adt panel. They are usually ademco/Honeywell >> dsc. If you want easy guide way to reprogram the panel just call alarmrelay sign up for their 1 yrs service, $9/mo, and they will walk you through over the phone on how to reprogram your existing panel.

Sent from my iPhone
                                Tom
                                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Working...
                                X