Which AV should I install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which AV should I install?

This is for all the pros out there that has been using HS for a while and have anti virus installed in there setup. I still dont have any protection on my PC ,because they say that sometime the AV could cause problems with HS. I would like to known what is the trend or what are most of the people using for AV in there setup.

Thanks in advance.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

None unless you use this server to surf the web. I've not used any AV software since setting up my HS server 7 years ago and I've never had a problem.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp

But I suppose you have HS connected to the INTERNET, to get info like news updates, and weather forecast, dont you need protection for those purposes?
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yes my HA server is connected to the net but I only parse and download known sites.

Comment

Rupp

I kind of slow when speaking with knowledge persons nut what does parse mean?
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Parsing is the act of using HomeSeer to download a web page and pull parts of it out. Like the weatherXML app does.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              Rupp

But I suppose you have HS connected to the INTERNET, to get info like news updates, and weather forecast, dont you need protection for those purposes?
              If your PC is behind a router, just having it connected to the internet does not provide any direct exposure to viruses. Your router will automatically reject any incoming requests from the web that weren't originally initiated by your machine.

But - if you tend to surf the web from that same machine, then you are exposed, and might need AV software. If you have email on that machine, then you might need AV software.

If you have HS checking things like the weather from known trust-worthy web sites, there is little risk of any exposure.

Comment

I'm with the others that question the need for AV software in this scenario, but you did ask what others were using, so I do occasionally use my HA computer for other tasks, so decided to install some AV software.

I'm using Avast Home Edition which is free. I'm not sure how long it's been installed (I'm thinking the better part of a year), but so far has not created any problems for me...

Comment

I have 3 networked computers; Homeseer is on one of them. I only use that computer for Homeseer and it is on 24/7 and connected to the internet. I am using McAfee Antivirus/Antispam software on all of them (a single subscription allows you to do this). I find it much easier to maintain the same AV software on all the machines. I would be very uncomfortable about having my Homeseer computer totally "open". I'm no expert but I think we should heed the warnings of all knowledgeable computer professionals; Every computer connected to the internet should have a Firewall and Antivirus protection.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I used to use Symantec, and have since moved away from the bloatware that is current mass-market AV solutions. These pigs seem to hog system resources without end, and they generally leak and cause other issues.

I've been using F-Prot for quite a while and am very happy. It makes a very minimal impact on my system and doesn't get in the way. I especially like the fact that the license is for multiple machines in the same home. On the machine that gets used by family and guests at my home it has flagged a fair number of nasties that attempted entry on my machine. So far the machine has stayed virus free, even though I can see via the logs that some - shall we say questionable - web sites have been visited.

www.f-prot.com

I sure everyone has a favorite. The most important things to me are real-time protection (read: won't let a virus even start to work) that doesn't in any way slow down even an old slow machine. I don't care at all about bells and whistles. In fact they annoy me.

Jon

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                    I have 3 networked computers; Homeseer is on one of them. I only use that computer for Homeseer and it is on 24/7 and connected to the internet. I am using McAfee Antivirus/Antispam software on all of them (a single subscription allows you to do this). I find it much easier to maintain the same AV software on all the machines. I would be very uncomfortable about having my Homeseer computer totally "open". I'm no expert but I think we should heed the warnings of all knowledgeable computer professionals; Every computer connected to the internet should have a Firewall and Antivirus protection.

Steve Q
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      Every computer connected to the internet should have a Firewall and Antivirus protection.

Steve Q

Steve - I agree. I have about 7 computers in my home network and HS is running on a dedicated machine. I run McAfee on them all since we get it free from Comcast. I don't trust having any machine exposed to the internet. A router alone is not enough protection.

I have a Linux box that runs my Asterisk server and it was being hit thousands of times per day with people trying to break in. Fortunately, Linux gives you good tools for locking people out and McAfee takes pretty good care of the Windows boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by kennesaw10 View Post

Steve - I agree. I have about 7 computers in my home network and HS is running on a dedicated machine. I run McAfee on them all since we get it free from Comcast. I don't trust having any machine exposed to the internet. A router alone is not enough protection.

I have a Linux box that runs my Asterisk server and it was being hit thousands of times per day with people trying to break in. Fortunately, Linux gives you good tools for locking people out and McAfee takes pretty good care of the Windows boxes.

Hey!! Thanks ! Thanks ! Thanks! You just saved me $32. I had totally forgoten about the free availability of McAfee to Comcast customers. My McAfee subscription goes back several years and they automatically bill me. Within the past year I got high speed internet access via Comcast. So now I can cancell my old McAfee subscription.

Thanks, Steve Q

PS - I should (and will) send the $32 to Jon for all the great work he is doing on the new ACRF plug-in.
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I have 6 systems on a network, 5 run Avira. My HomeTroller doesn't have any av software, should I suspect anything, I simply reboot it and if anything attempted a write to the drive, hsprotect will protect the write from happening.

No need for av software when running a HomeTroller
                          Over The Hill
                          What Hill?
                          Where?
                          When?
                          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Sounds good, doesn't quite work that way though. My 'Troller got infected as I was mucking around because the apps are installed on the D drive and that drive is not protected. Once HomeSeer itself got infected the machine was done. The infection was my fault (and I recovered easily enough) but to say it can't happen is just plain wrong. You do get some protection but not enough to say it can't. The write protection helps with things that infect Windows but if they also work out to other DLLs and EXEs then only an AV will help.

Jon

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                            I have 6 systems on a network, 5 run Avira. My HomeTroller doesn't have any av software, should I suspect anything, I simply reboot it and if anything attempted a write to the drive, hsprotect will protect the write from happening.

No need for av software when running a HomeTroller
                            Jon Ort
                            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I agree with Jon, most of the commercial packages have bloated beyond reason. I use AVG, it's free, runs clean and doesn't force a re-boot after every update.

When I put my computer security professional hat on I have to say, the only safe computer is one that is not running. If you are connected to anything you need at a minimum AV. All my machines and those that I support for family and friends have Av behind a firewall behind a NAT router. Doing otherwise is an open invitation to joining a botnet, IMHO

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X