This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by field888 View Post
    OK, good idea. I left the sensor monitoring the door. disconnected the relay from the door motor. connected the dry relay contacts to a spare open/close sensor which will text me if and when the relay fires the next time. Just hope I'm around when it happens. It would be nice to be able to generate the insteon file from that event, but not possible is it?
    anything to report?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

You must have ESP, the last occurrence happened about an hour ago and I was just getting ready to report:
      It is definitely a module problem. The relay fired for no apparent reason on 4 occasions. The door never opened unexpectedly on its own.

1-25-18 1:40:30 - IO Relay fired. No generated Insteon log (waited until morning to generate log) Now I know.
      - relay rec'd 2 ON commands, followed by 1 OFF command
      1-28-18 1:06:11 - IO Relay fired. 1 ON, followed by 1 OFF command
      1-28-18 23:30:40 - IO Relay fired. 1 ON, followed by 1 OFF command, same thing 2 seconds later
      1-29-18 09:55:24 - IO Relay fired. 2 ON commands, 1 OFF, then another ON, OFF

These all happened during or immediately after a timed polling. The strange thing is that all the occurrences ( about 7) going back to the 21st of the month were either around the 10AM hour or in the late evening/early morning hours. I know you are thinking that polling may be the problem but I seriously think my particular unit has a hardware problem and can't handle the increased traffic. I would think if polling was causing an issue in general, then you would have seen many more users with this same problem, no?
      Attached Files

Comment

You must have ESP, the last occurrence happened about an hour ago and I was just getting ready to report:
        It is definitely a module problem. The relay fired for no apparent reason on 4 occasions. The door never opened unexpectedly on its own.

1-25-18 1:40:30 - IO Relay fired. No generated Insteon log (waited until morning to generate log) Now I know.
        - relay rec'd 2 ON commands, followed by 1 OFF command
        1-28-18 1:06:11 - IO Relay fired. 1 ON, followed by 1 OFF command
        1-28-18 23:30:40 - IO Relay fired. 1 ON, followed by 1 OFF command, same thing 2 seconds later
        1-29-18 09:55:24 - IO Relay fired. 2 ON commands, 1 OFF, then another ON, OFF

These all happened during or immediately after a timed polling. The strange thing is that all the occurrences ( about 7) going back to the 21st of the month were either around the 10AM hour or in the late evening/early morning hours. I know you are thinking that polling may be the problem but I seriously think my particular unit has a hardware problem and can't handle the increased traffic. I would think if polling was causing an issue in general, then you would have seen many more users with this same problem, no?
        i have had other users report similar issues where the door opens 'randomly' but it was related to an event that was getting triggered based on polling. so that scenario is a little different that yours.

just to make sure, can you set/check the hs option "Status Only Device:" for the relay device? This will prevent the plugin from polling the relay
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

The "Status Only Device:" box is grayed out - can't set it.
          Just for my reference, how does one trigger an event based on polling?

Comment

The "Status Only Device:" box is grayed out - can't set it.
            Just for my reference, how does one trigger an event based on polling?
            you can't trigger based on scheduled polling from the plugin

however, you could set the iolinc to polling = 0 in the plugin, and then create your own event to poll the iolinc device on your own schedule. there is an Insteon: Poll Device action

then you could add other event actions after the poll action

i will figure out how to set the ioinc relay to status only, and post back
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark,
              My primary use of the relay is through the mobile app. If it is status only, I don't think I would be able to control it.
              I am going to disable polling. I don't believe I need it for any specific purpose. As far as I know, all devices report back anyway.
              Last edited by field888; January 29, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Mark,
                My primary use of the relay is through the mobile app. If it is status only, I don't think I would be able to control it.
                I am going to disable polling. I don't believe I need it for any specific purpose. As far as I know, all devices report back anyway.
                yah, good point. the sensor sends a msg on status change.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Quick update..
                  The IO link has not fired its output since last Monday (no polling), confirming that polling is the culprit. thanks for your help Mark,
                  Doug

Comment

Quick update..
                    The IO link has not fired its output since last Monday (no polling), confirming that polling is the culprit. thanks for your help Mark,
                    Doug
                    thanks for the update. i will probably just recommend people that use the iolinc with a garage door to disable polling.

it doesn't make sense to poll the relay when its in momentary mode. maybe i could just check the setting during polling and ignore polling the relay when its set to momentary. just too many scenarios to account for in the code.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

completely agree about the relay. Door position status is critical though, especially when out of town! I'm thinking of adding an open/close sensor as backup, however I'm not a fan of those for garage door status. I prefer a positive contact status using a limit switch as opposed to the reed switch, which can be tricky to position on roll-up doors.

Comment

Quick update..
                        Doug
                        I have dealt with these random issues for 1-2 years. Mark helped me extensively try to troubleshoot everything in the logs but nothing pointed to a clear cause either.

I'm convinced that the polling of the IOLINK gets confused in the messaging.

What I had seen back then was a recurring pattern of congestion of Insteon signals, where the plugin decided to pause. Usually it was during those times (coupled with a polling activity or a large group off command on other devices) that would trigger the random door activation.

I still see indications that the polling algorithm polls the status of the relay as well as the sensor. It would be nice if we could disable the relay polling and only poll the sensor to see if that would eliminate the possible problem.

I still have the random issues but they seem to have been centered on only one door these days (the 2nd in the polling sequence).

I've now changed my polling intervals so that both doors work off a separate polling time. Trying to see if that reduces the frequency of the time. I still would like polling as insteon is not a reliable medium for monitoring doors as it can miss commands regularly on a busy network.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeIII View Post
                          I have dealt with these random issues for 1-2 years. Mark helped me extensively try to troubleshoot everything in the logs but nothing pointed to a clear cause either.

I'm convinced that the polling of the IOLINK gets confused in the messaging.

What I had seen back then was a recurring pattern of congestion of Insteon signals, where the plugin decided to pause. Usually it was during those times (coupled with a polling activity or a large group off command on other devices) that would trigger the random door activation.

I still see indications that the polling algorithm polls the status of the relay as well as the sensor. It would be nice if we could disable the relay polling and only poll the sensor to see if that would eliminate the possible problem.

I still have the random issues but they seem to have been centered on only one door these days (the 2nd in the polling sequence).

I've now changed my polling intervals so that both doors work off a separate polling time. Trying to see if that reduces the frequency of the time. I still would like polling as insteon is not a reliable medium for monitoring doors as it can miss commands regularly on a busy network.
                          Thanks for your insight into this problem. Nice to know what others are experiencing. Your comment about random issues seals the deal for me so I will be installing an 'open/close' sensor on the door and using the aux contacts wired to a limit switch for positive position sensing. I will then disable polling to the I/O device altogether, pending any changes Mark can make to the PI.

I have read other posts that refer to staggering the polling intervals, avoiding congestion. I seems to me that at some point in time, some of these polls will converge since they all initially start at the same time. It would make more sense (to me), having the ability to stagger the initial poll start time by device, after which all polling would occur at the time specified by device. This would allow consistent polling without the possibility of slowly merging into polls of other devices, thus creating more traffic jams. Make sense?

Your comment about network traffic is food for thought. I am a retired control engineer who spent waaay too much time working on communication problems between low level devices in the industrial world and have no interest in delving into the insteon world of communications, so I am not going to pretend that I know what level of traffic occurs on the net.
                          Having said that, even though Mark's 'comm reliability' and 'message quality' numbers are high in my installation, I do notice that I can lose device status, most noticeability on a device that I have switched manually such as a togglelinc and this would occur at a time when nothing else is going on in the net other what should be low level housekeeping stuff (token sharing or similar?). And yes, the devices are configured to report to homeseer.
                          Apparently polling is a necessary evil in this world.

Comment

Guys,
                            I created a new user option for the IOLinc to allow you to disable relay polling. However, HS still makes a call to the plugin to poll the device (since the hs device isn't set to 'status only')

the 'status only' property is the only way i know to make sure hs doesn't try to poll the device. But i don't want to mess with this property. it will have other negative effects.

So the plugin must return something when the relay is polled via HS; I can just return 'OK' and do nothing else (ie do not send any actual cmds) but this might give the false impression that the relay actually got polled.

The new user option will prevent the relay from getting polled during scheduled polling since i control that routine.

comments and suggestions welcome
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

HS still makes a call to the plugin to poll the device (since the hs device isn't set to 'status only')
                              Are you saying that even if "disable automatic polling" is checked in your PI, HS still polls, and is the same true if 'Polling Interval' is set to 0 in the device page?
                              Right now, I have all device polling intervals set to 0. Is polling still occuring by HS?

Is this mod in BETA 3.0.6.29?

Comment

Are you saying that even if "disable automatic polling" is checked in your PI, HS still polls, and is the same true if 'Polling Interval' is set to 0 in the device page?
                                Right now, I have all device polling intervals set to 0. Is polling still occuring by HS?

Is this mod in BETA 3.0.6.29?
                                Not exactly. I initiated hs polling from the Poll btn on the Dev Mgnt page. In the following hs polling output below, hs makes a call to the plugin to poll the relay because i can't prevent this call. However the plugin didn't actually poll the relay but the plugin must provide a response to the hs poll request. so you get the output you see below.

Polling...
                                1 @ Polling: Insteon Beta5 IOLinc - Input Sensor (Status is: 0)
                                0 @ Polling: Insteon Beta5 IOLinc - Output Relay (Status is: 0)
                                Done
                                the polling interval is for the plugin polling, which the plugin controls. so if you set it to zero, nothing happens.

i have not posted this code change yet.
                                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                                X