Limit homeseer connection to certain echo devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit homeseer connection to certain echo devices

I am planning to have Echos throughout my house; I would also like one in my garage.

However, I am going to be connecting my alarm system to homeseer to have a set of events to automate alarm arming scenarios.

There will be a set of events I can't allow any echos to trigger, and a set of events I can't allow to be triggered from outside the house.

How can I accomplish the above?

I had a similar thought, but came up with a different solution.

First, I chose not to allow VR for any action that decreases my security posture, but do allow it to increase it. That is to say, I can lock doors and arm the security system by voice, but I do not allow unlocking or disarming by voice. Those require some kind of keycode on a pad.

As for the echo I have in my garage, I have mine plugged into a controlled power module. When I arm my alarm, it cuts power to the Dot rendering it deaf and mute. When i disarm the alarm, power is restored and the Dot boots up and joins it's friends.
    My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Cool idea to use the controlled power module. Only risk I guess is if an evildoer unplugs the control module and re-plugs the dot into the wall. But not a huge risk I would say.

How do you prevent VR for specific actions? That also makes perfect sense.

Comment

I don't enable voice control for "sensitive" devices. Instead, I use Jon00's Alexa Helper script to run specific events or control the devices to lock doors , set security modes, and check status of security devices.

Scripts that do reduce security posture are named in obscure, exceedingly long and complex manners. While technically still possible to trigger by voice, it would be pretty tough. Practically speaking, they are only triggered by certain events that run them directly (i.e. unlocking a Z-wave door lock with certain codes etc)

As for the Dot being unplugged from the power module and plugged into house power, I agree it's unlikely and in my home, it would be quite a feat. I have mine plugged into the 10 foot ceiling so a ladder would be required. Beyond that, the evildoer would have to avoid multiple motion sensors, door and window sensors, and IP cameras. If someone made it that far, plugging in a DOT is likely not on their list of things to accomplish. Mission improbable level stuff here.
        My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
          Cool idea to use the controlled power module. Only risk I guess is if an evildoer unplugs the control module and re-plugs the dot into the wall. But not a huge risk I would say.

How do you prevent VR for specific actions? That also makes perfect sense.
          You can simply uncheck the voice command on the devices you do not want the Echos to see. This effectively hides them from the hardware. You can also go into the Alexa app and forget them as well.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X