Video smoke/fire detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video smoke/fire detection

Is anyone aware of a consumer-ish/open source video image detection software specifically for identifying smoke and fire? The reason I am asking is that my house burned down back in September and the fire started outside on our deck. Obviously, because we didn't have fire detection on our deck, the fire was completely out of control before we were ever made aware of it and subsequently our house was a total lose. We are now in a new house and I am a little freaked out about it happening again given that two different fire investigators never did find the cause. So I started researching fire and smoke detection via video surveillance. It appears there are quite a few solutions out there but they are all commercial/industrial; clearly out of my price range. I was hoping to someday integrate a software solution that can simply watch my existing camera feeds and alert on smoke or fire recognition.

Any thoughts or experience with that?

I'm using BlueIris, and while I have no idea about smoke detection, I can say the camera that is closest to my dryer vent sometimes triggers when the steam passes over the camera's view.

It also happens with a camera that is near one of our bathroom vents.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd7703 View Post
      Is anyone aware of a consumer-ish/open source video image detection software specifically for identifying smoke and fire? The reason I am asking is that my house burned down back in September and the fire started outside on our deck. Obviously, because we didn't have fire detection on our deck, the fire was completely out of control before we were ever made aware of it and subsequently our house was a total lose. We are now in a new house and I am a little freaked out about it happening again given that two different fire investigators never did find the cause. So I started researching fire and smoke detection via video surveillance. It appears there are quite a few solutions out there but they are all commercial/industrial; clearly out of my price range. I was hoping to someday integrate a software solution that can simply watch my existing camera feeds and alert on smoke or fire recognition.

Any thoughts or experience with that?
      Interesting topic. Have you come up with a solution, whether it be a smoke detector or video system?

With wood frame construction,some method to detect arson would be very reassuring.

Comment

Working...
      X