Multiple USB Touchscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple USB Touchscreens

Would it be possible to plug several of these into a dedicated computer for HSTouch? Any reason why it wouldn't work? Looking for suggestions.

http://www.short-circuit.com/product/UM80-T.html

Thanks

First off I'm not too sure how many graphics cards will output to serveral of these. Two or 3 maybe. Then there would be an issue if you happened to use two these at the same time and the confusion that would create and lastly the distance that you can run a USB cable isn't very long at all. So you would need to purchas USB extenters which could get expensive.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm using a USB video card on a couple of my touchscreens. And by running a separate copy of XP in a VM with that USB video and touchscreen passed through to the guest it eliminates the two people pressing at the same time issues.

So essentially it's like this

Windows or Linux host OS.
      VMWare Server (Free)

XP Guest (not free)
      USB Video card and USB Touchscreen passed through from host PC
      HSTouch

XP Guest (not free)
      HSTouch

No reason you'd have to stop there. I think you could put a bunch more than 2 on one machine if you go this route, but it is not a 5 minute setup process, and you need more licenses for XP for each guest OS (Might be able to use Linux and HSTouch but I've never tested it, not sure it's a solid solution yet)
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Oh yeah... as for suggestions, I'd take a look at the mimo monitors. If your touchscreens are going to all be mounted 20' from your server you can get some pretty nice results with these little 8" screens. Watch around on ebay if you want to find one for under $150 (They have built in USB video cards, and webcams)
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
          I'm using a USB video card on a couple of my touchscreens. And by running a separate copy of XP in a VM with that USB video and touchscreen passed through to the guest it eliminates the two people pressing at the same time issues.

So essentially it's like this

Windows or Linux host OS.
          VMWare Server (Free)

XP Guest (not free)
          HSTouch

XP Guest (not free)
          HSTouch

No reason you'd have to stop there. I think you could put a bunch more than 2 on one machine if you go this route, but it is not a 5 minute setup process, and you need more licenses for XP for each guest OS (Might be able to use Linux and HSTouch but I've never tested it, not sure it's a solid solution yet)

Do you have a link for setting up each monitor in VMWare. I have VMWare Workstation 7.1 on a machine with 2 monitors and I am trying to figure out how to assign a monitor to a specific VMWare Session. Do I need the server version to do this or do they need to be USB monitors?

Thanks

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'll need to use a USB VGA card for this to work the way I'm describing. I'm not sure if there are any other ways to pass a monitor through to a guest, but I'd love it if there were.
            Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://andahammer.com/mini/

Comment

Originally posted by zakrzep View Post
                Has anyone tried one of these?

http://andahammer.com/mini/
                Wow, those certainly look interesting... If I had more time on my hands I might give it a go, but I'm pretty much swamped for the next few months.
                Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Playing with the Mimo Monitor. I'm impressed with the touch screen response plugged into the computer. I purchased 7" touch. Works well. Next VM Ware.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X