• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a better touch panel

Yep, pictures are a must!!! I just happen to have an old laptop here

TrOjAn

Comment

Just google kitchen pc or under cabinet pc and you will get lots of hits about a pc for the kitchen. Good luck getting the wife to accept loosing some cabinet space though!

http://lifehacker.com/5196069/build-...-an-old-laptop

Comment

A few folks on the Asus EEEPC web site have installed touch screens on their netbooks. Here's a website describing step by step installation of a touch screen with an Acer Aspire One. I bought one of the plug n play touchscreen hubs for my netbook. Its very small and has a passthru via the web interface. Think it was only about $10 or so.

http://www.logicalinsanity.net/?p=214#more-214
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have an asus T101MT which is a touchscreen netvertable. I've see the lenovo branded ones drop to around $400 from time to time.

This could easily be done by designing some sort of under the counter mount for this type of netbook, I swivel mine around and use it as a touchscreen controller with a built in stand.
          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Pictures and stuff

Sorry for the delay in pictures I forgot all about it in the excitement (I think that's the word) of getting the Way2Call.

First - surprise! This invalidates your warranty. So it is all your fault.

Second - It is reversible but due to the hinge removal it IS obvious that it has happened.

Third - Haven't got gesture recognition so really is a bit limited as a slate at the moment. I do have a Bluetooth keyboard, mouse (for working on it rather than just using it) and headset too, so isn't much of an issue. You can drive it using the [downloaded] software and the Microsoft on-screen keyboard though. To me it was a better PDA - I hated having to write speical routines for my Pocket PC and then find they didn't work as it needed .NET x.

Lastly - I'm not going to regurgitate [badly] how to do it, just the differences. The following sites give MUCH better explanations and pictures than mine.

How to remove the keyboard -
            http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/...opic.php?13001

You can effectively throw this away now (but I wouldn't recommend it). The touch panel is left alone but hidden by the screen.

How to install the touch screen

Mine came from Hong Kong (via eBay) - really quick! This is the official site where the drivers can be downloaded and the instructions in RAR format (use 7-Zip to extract) -
            http://www.visualtouchworld.com/guide.htm

But a good alternative (or just to have a look) is -
            http://netbookmag.com/2009/02/03/tut...-installation/
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
              I have an asus T101MT which is a touchscreen netvertable. I've see the lenovo branded ones drop to around $400 from time to time.

This could easily be done by designing some sort of under the counter mount for this type of netbook, I swivel mine around and use it as a touchscreen controller with a built in stand.
              How do you like your T101 Joe ? any specific advice, tips ?

I just took the jump and ordered one. I plan on using it as portable touch panel to control Homeseer and double as a competent windows 7 computer with speaker capabilities.

I already have a fixed 17 inch LCD touchscreen wired to an asus B202 on the kitchen wall, so that covers the "Permanent" part of the touchpanel installation...
              Last edited by fran_joel; June 29, 2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

First things first, add the 2nd gig of memory, and put a real windows 7 on it instead of "starter", starter doesn't support multitouch or really geared towards the touch user. It was a big mistake to ship that thing with this version if that's the version you got.

I like mine a lot, but don't expect it to be a powerhouse for anything that requires a lot of horsepower.

I will hook mine up to TV's and play videos at 720p just fine, but above that 1080p seems to make it chop a little (I'm okay with this, it's not why I bought it)
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Yeah it does come with the starter version only. I will look to get it upgraded to the full fledged version.

I got it today acually and I'm using it to post this reply...
                  It works pretty smoothly.

I dont need a powerhouse either, just a reliable touchscreen full fledged computer whixh will mostly run my homemade touchscreen interface software.

Comment

Working...
                  X