Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best OS for HS3, and can I switch OS with same license?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,
    I've been using HS3 on my windows computer for a little while now on my HTPC.

I am in the process of installing a homelab now at home and have a rack mounted server running a bunch of different VMs.

I think I'd like to move my automation over to the server now instead of my HTPC for reliability purposes.

Which OS would you recommend? Do some plugins work better in windows than linux?

Additionally, can I re-use my license on multiple operating systems or do I need to purchased another license?

Thanks!

While most plugins seem to work under Linux, some don't. If you will never have need of the Windows only plugins then go for Linux. That said, the future is difficult to see and some fancy new plugin might hit the streets any day that can only run on Windows.

You can switch between Windows and Linux versions of HS3 with the same license but I believe that there are some issues with events transferring when actually making the switch.. One of the Linux users who has been through this will need to chime in on that one.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Here started with Windows HS3 then went to 'Buntu HS3.

You can transfer events from Windows to Linux if Linux has Mono 4.X installed.

Here have had good luck with a couple of plugins running in an Oracle Virtual Box talking to the Homeseer Linux mothership.

x
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

thanks for the info folks.

I think I'll just stick with windows server on a vm thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by amp3d View Post
          thanks for the info folks.

I think I'll just stick with windows server on a vm thanks for the advice
          I tried to go Linux one time after windows. It didn't work so well for me and I'm back on windows.

It could have just been I don't know much about linux, but I would just stick with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Here started with Windows HS3 then went to 'Buntu HS3.

You can transfer events from Windows to Linux if Linux has Mono 4.X installed.

Here have had good luck with a couple of plugins running in an Oracle Virtual Box talking to the Homeseer Linux mothership.

x

I know this is off the subject but Pete's comment made me think. Please don't do that again.

How are you setting up multi-install HS agratation, znet, secondary controller, bespoke etc?

I have seen this question asked a few times more recently but no-one addresses the questions of the architecture, how to, the benifits in their solution or why they went a certain route which could influence the OS platform.

Comment

Originally posted by amp3d View Post
              Hey Guys,
              Which OS would you recommend? Do some plugins work better in windows than linux?
              I am currently evaluating Homeseer on a Raspberry Pi, but should I decide to buy the license, was wondering if it made better sense to install it on a dedicated machine running Windows. I checked the official minimum system requirements. While Windows, 2000, XP, 7 and 8 are mentioned, I didn't find Windows 10 in the list.

Anyone knows if the latest HS3 version is compatible with Windows 10?

Comment

Originally posted by biswasg View Post
                I am currently evaluating Homeseer on a Raspberry Pi, but should I decide to buy the license, was wondering if it made better sense to install it on a dedicated machine running Windows. I checked the official minimum system requirements. While Windows, 2000, XP, 7 and 8 are mentioned, I didn't find Windows 10 in the list.

Anyone knows if the latest HS3 version is compatible with Windows 10?
                I have been using windows 10 for over 1.5 years on my hs3 machine. It works fine.

You are talking about a full hs3 liscene right not a pi liscense? You do know the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                  You are talking about a full hs3 liscene right not a pi liscense? You do know the difference?
                  Many thanks for confirming that HS3 will run on Win10. Yes, I meant a full HS3 license (Windows version). Not yet sure if HS3Pro makes better sense over HS3 Standard. I do not need the free HS plug-ins apart from the Z-wave one, so it really boils down to the Touch designer.

Comment

Windows 10 is supported in the pro and standard HS3 license. With a HS3 pro or standard license you can install on windows, Linux (using Mono), and MAC OSX (I believe).

Note that there is a lite HS3 version (HS3 for RPI) that is designed for the RPI only. This version is limited to 5 plugins max. Note that in the latest version of HS3 Beta the HSTOUCH server side plugin has been moved into the main server service so you won't use a plugin slot for it.

Here I run HS3 standard for Linux version 3.0.0.342 Beta on an RPI 3 running Raspbian Jessie (Debian). I have replaced the X86 compiled executable files with the HS3 for RPI ARM compiled ones. Everything works very well here and is very reliable. I have 37 physical Zwave nodes, 358 total devices, 180 events, 3 of them are running scripts, and 7 total plugins.

I set my own RPI OS up and have it customized sufficiently enough that I really don't have to worry about it much. I automated reboots for every 60 days, and have a Linux bash script that sends my HS3 backups to my NAS storage solution. I have a base backup of the entire flash drive for the last version of an HS3 change or OS Patch.

I built my HS3 server this way because it allows me to:
                    1. reduce the overall adoption cost (it isn't a $200 mini pc).
                    2. I am not be limited to 5 plugins.
                    3. I am not limited to an RPI if my needs ever grow beyond the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by biswasg View Post
                      Many thanks for confirming that HS3 will run on Win10. Yes, I meant a full HS3 license (Windows version). Not yet sure if HS3Pro makes better sense over HS3 Standard. I do not need the free HS plug-ins apart from the Z-wave one, so it really boils down to the Touch designer.
                      The only thing you get with Pro over Standard is the designer software and the HS branded plugins. All 3rd party plugins are not included and you pay full price for them. HS hasn't released any new plugins worth much since I have been with them for almost 3 years now (though to their credit they have released a lot of things they could've charged for but have kept free for everyone).

Designer software is nice if you want to make custom HSTouch screens, but be warned, it is a true test in patience to make a custom screen and lots of "mind altering" substances to maintain that patience (beer, flower power... whatever your poison may be).

Windows 10 is solid and I still think the OS of choice depending on how big you want to get. I have thought about Linux a time or two, but haven't for 2 reasons.

- Linux doesn't have support for all the plugins out there, most work, some don't, I have a few that don't

- I would argue that at this point in windows 10's life, that setup properly, its just as stable as linux. My setup can and has gone months without a reboot (only did reboots to update patches, not because I was having issue). Plus I run it on a low power 10 watt machine, so its comparable to the Pi in power usage.

The Pi is a nice option to start with, but there is logic in why Homeseer limits their Pi version to only 5 plugins... you will hit resource limitations eventually. If you plan to remain small, its a great choice. I knew my setup was going to be massive when I started this venture using the Pi for about a month before realizing it wasn't enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X