Problem using sensor to control lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem using sensor to control lights

I am on zwave .190 . I have no problem including the sensor in my zee. It does detect motion. However, it never resets to no motion.

I created an event - the time is 10 minutes after sunset and if the device has a value = motion detected, then turn on the stairs light. 10 minutes after sunset every night, the event is triggered, even if the motion detected was that morning. Is there something I am doing wrong.

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
    I am on zwave .190 . I have no problem including the sensor in my zee. It does detect motion. However, it never resets to no motion.

I created an event - the time is 10 minutes after sunset and if the device has a value = motion detected, then turn on the stairs light. 10 minutes after sunset every night, the event is triggered, even if the motion detected was that morning. Is there something I am doing wrong.
    Can you post a pic of the event? Also this motion sensor has a timeout of 4 min. default before it sends a no motion signal. That timeout parameter can be set to pretty much any value other than 0. To get a reading and setting a value I kept pushing the button inside every couple of seconds. The sensor is set to the highest value for motion sensitivity. Might try putting that value in the middle range and try that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-26 at 10.02.43 AM.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1196878

Comment

[ATTACH]68980[/ATTACH]
        This event will fire every day at the specified time unless the motion sensor converts back to no motion. The sensitivity of the sensor may be too high. It is set to it's highest level as a default. Try setting the sensitivity to a mid range value and see if it goes back to no motion after 4 min (default). Remember this event will only fire normally if there is motion detected at exactly 10 min. after sunset. So you have a 4 min window around the time that is set with the "10 min after sunset" statement.

Comment

I will try that but, when the last event would have been when I came down the stairs at 5 AM, and it is 8:something PM, then the sensor should have reset sometimes in the 17 hours between. I am also going to connect it to a USB charger and reinclude it as a wired (not battery) device.

My expected behavior is the light goes on when I cross the first step; The sensor is pointing from the banister to a wall of the staircase, so it can not be triggered otherwise.

Comment

I will try that but, when the last event would have been when I came down the stairs at 5 AM, and it is 8:something PM, then the sensor should have reset sometimes in the 17 hours between. I am also going to connect it to a USB charger and reinclude it as a wired (not battery) device.

My expected behavior is the light goes on when I cross the first step; The sensor is pointing from the banister to a wall of the staircase, so it can not be triggered otherwise.
            I would assume it would also but changes in light level (shadows) can trigger some sensors especially if they are maxed out for sensitivity. Not sure if this is one of those or not. Not sure how it will change it's functionality after using with charger. I have not tried that.

Comment

I have been struggling with a similar problem of having the foyer and outside lights come on when I let the dogs out at night. The HS-MS100+ does sense motion and the value is changed to "Motion Detected". After 10 minutes (I can't figure out how to change the time) the value is changed to "No Event". I tried multiple iterations of after sunset and before sunrise. I left the time windows all zero hoping I was getting the time inclusive between sunset and sunrise. NOT the case. Eventually I put the "Event" first and was then able to put a time range in with AND operator "The time is after 12:01PM" AND "The time is before 11:59PM". This worked! Now I need to experiment with the time period from say 6PM to 6AM to see if the EVENT will still operate correctly over the midnight hour.

Here is the screen shot of the two events:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.55.00 PM.png
Views:	300
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	1250170

Good Luck to you and I will post again if the overnight tests go well.

Jfrob
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Have you tried using easytrigger to do your times? It will allow you to crossover the midnight issue problem if ever needed. You can create a scheduled time that covers any times you want without using if time is before this, if time is after this, etc.

Also you should see 'no motion' and 'motion detected' from the device.

Here is the parameters for the motion sensor.
                HS-MS100v1b.pdf
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the help. Definitely a more elegant solution. Still had a problem from Sunday night to Monday morning. Could not enter a continuous time block and the programming must look at midnight Sunday as a "new" week and will not control "back" to Monday morning. Just purchased Easy Trigger as a result. As you can see on the EasyTrigger week display I had to enter the 23:59 end time on Sunday night and the 0:00 start time on Monday. Here are my results:

New Question: How do you change the individual parameters of the device itself. Apparently there is a way to edit the time between Motion Detected and No Event. I have not a clue as to how to approach that issue.

Many thanks.

JR

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.34.56 PM.png
Views:	251
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	1251084

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.37.12 PM.png
Views:	272
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1251085

Comment

i currently use ecolink units that i set to testing mode and can proc lighting off of them. has anyone had luck with the HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor and triggering lighting on events?

Comment

Working...
                    X