lack of information on HS Voice recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lack of information on HS Voice recognition

I am a bit disappointed in the lack of information in this forum on VR.
    Most of it appear to be centred around telephony rather than VR. (or maybe I am looking in the wrong area)

It also appears that the programming in HS has not changed or grown much over the years.
    With HS3 on its way - will there be any improvements or features added to VR engine in HS3?

What's missing? Many of us simply do not use VR as we now have a remote strapped to us all the time (our phones). Given the right equipment and enough training VR works OK but the underlying technology still has a ways to go.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Step-by-step VR instructions

Are there step-by-step instructions of how to setup VR in HS using

- local microphone
      - remote computer microphone
      - iPad microphone
      - iPhone microphone
      - Android device microphone
      - trough Siri Proxy

I just slapped few iPads on the walls to use as HS controls, why not making them work harder by adding VR. Although I'm using HS since 2008 I've never played with the VR feature. I'm not very technical so I'm looking for some sort of a primer where and how to start.

RI2

Comment

Step-by-step VR instructions

- local microphone
        - iPad microphone
        - iPhone microphone
        - trough Siri Proxy

I just slapped few iPads on the walls to use as HS controls, why not making them work harder by adding VR. Although I'm using HS since 2008 I've never played with the VR feature. I'm not very technical so I'm looking for some sort of a primer where and how to start.

RI2

Comment

the help file in hs3 has a pretty good run through of what the commands are and you can setup events based on phrases, its pretty straight forward using the speaker client on the hs3 machine. I just set this up last week and connected it to my verizon push to talk so i have remote voice control from my phone anywhere.... and TTS events are pushed out to my mobile. I'm finding that setup pretty cool and i'll make a write up on that on these boards one of these days.

The only issue I had setting it up was realizing that you do most of the initial configuration (mic selection, gain adjustment, etc) and training through the windows control panel in the windows voice recognition controls, then HS3 just uses that engine.

I've found short phrases to be the most effective for getting it to recognize correctly. I have lots of my devices with detailed names for instance i call my garage lights "Garage Lights Main Bay" and "garage Lights Seconday Bay" calling these on and off using the name was failing to recognize half the time so i created an event to fire just using "garage lights on" and set the action to turn the longer device name on and off, this worked 100% better and i have correct VR about 95% of the time.

One other thing i noticed, is that the copy event seems buggy related to voice commands. For instance i would create one event to turn lights on via a phrase and then copy it and change the phrase to off to turn the device off. However, homeseer would never recognize the second trigger. When i would go back in it would list the phrase correctly but when i clicked to edit it, it would still have the phrase from the original in there, so i would have 2 "on" events instead of 1 on and one off. If i deleted the condition and re-made it then it would work great. it was really random when this would happen and i couldn't reliably reproduce it, sometimes copy and update trigger would work fine other times this happened.

The other thing i found helps is to standardize your commands so they're easier to remember. I settled on this method: Room, Device, Action.

For instance, kitchen lights on. Kitchen Blinds Closed. Nest Set Away. LivingRoom Music On. FrontDoor Deadbolt Lock.

this makes it easier to think of the 3 words you need to trigger what you want and keeps the system consistent. It is a bit less "natural" than saying "computer lock the front door" but it makes it easier for me to remember rather than trying to remember the "friendly" phrase and just come up with room, device, action in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post

- local microphone
            - iPad microphone
            - iPhone microphone
            - trough Siri Proxy

RI2
            Open air VR works only with good results with a very good mic, echo cancelation and additional equipment. Or use a good quality headset but that looks silly at home. Still then you still pick up to much noise.
            I tried nearly every setup the last few year and i have now a working 5 mic. open air VR setup at home that is about 80% reliiable.

I wrote a multi part blog entry here http://www.zoelen.net/ZMC.htm

- local microphone
            Only with a good mic. Not those flimsy $2,- ones

Nope

- iPad microphone
            Hahaha, nope

- iPhone microphone
            Nope again

sigh, nope

- trough Siri Proxy
            Nope.
            - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
              Open air VR works only with good results with a very good mic, echo cancelation and additional equipment. Or use a good quality headset but that looks silly at home. Still then you still pick up to much noise.
              I tried nearly every setup the last few year and i have now a working 5 mic. open air VR setup at home that is about 80% reliiable.

- local microphone

Nope

- iPad microphone
              Hahaha, nope

- iPhone microphone
              Nope again

sigh, nope

- trough Siri Proxy
              Nope.

Strange that it does not work with android or iOS devices. Mobilinc works well with them. Very reliable but I would not say perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of all the incredible things home automation can do VR is a big pain in the butt and never works like in the movies. People have VR expectations when they start into home automation. I have been into HA for 15 years and I am a terminal tinkerer. VR has always been more hassle than it was worth. I am guessing that is why the VR forum may seem lacking IMHO.

~Bill

Comment

- local microphone

Nope

- iPad microphone
                  Hahaha, nope

- iPhone microphone
                  Nope again

sigh, nope

- trough Siri Proxy
                  Nope.
                  Your writeup in that link is amazing. Been tracking it for weeks or maybe even months.

The other week I won 2 XAP800's in auction for a total of $29. My only issue was the connectors never came with the units, so now I have to wait for that order before I can proceed.

Since the start of my HA project over 2 years ago, I've been confused and desperate on HS integration until I found this.

Thanks for your effort sharing all this.
                  HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                  PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                  HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    Of all the incredible things home automation can do VR is a big pain in the butt and never works like in the movies. People have VR expectations when they start into home automation.
                    You nailed the subject right on the head.
                    The expectations are to high. And movies, well what to say. There are more flaws in them then i can mention here. Just give this a thought. How do you know when something that is said is a question, an remark, no meaning at all, directed at you, comming from a dialogue from the soundset/tv, outside noise or said within the noise of a crowd. Now tell the software how to distinct between all of this.

@CharlieWayne
                    Thanks for you kind words. If you need further help or suggestions i am on this forum.
                    - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

contriversial

Well, 20 years ago, Bill Gates envisioned that we all will be talking to our computers instead of typing. He even tried it personally saying to Computer

"Recognize speech"

the Computer got this

"Wreck a nice beach"

I guess we haven't got far from that after $ billions invested in Siri, Iris, Alexa and alikes.

On the other hand folks like ORNVM and others report reasonable results. So I'm confused. Also I'm surprised by the posting by AshaiRay that only local mike will work.

RI2

Comment

There are many devices with VR that work very well. The $150 GPS I put in my wifes car works perfectly so far. Mobilinc works very well. Siri is ok.

VR has come a long way the past few years and the auto industry is spending a fortune perfecting it. My car VR was a little glitch but they recalibrated it and its fine ever since.

It is possible to have a pretty reliable VR system it just takes some effort.

Comment

You nailed the subject right on the head.
                          The expectations are to high. And movies, well what to say. There are more flaws in them then i can mention here. Just give this a thought. How do you know when something that is said is a question, an remark, no meaning at all, directed at you, comming from a dialogue from the soundset/tv, outside noise or said within the noise of a crowd. Now tell the software how to distinct between all of this.

@CharlieWayne
                          Thanks for you kind words. If you need further help or suggestions i am on this forum.
                          If I were to do voice recognition I would do it like on the old Enterprise.
                          Go up and press a button on the communicator panel.

To filter out superfluous speech you need to use an attention phrase. By the time I go through all of that it isn't worth it. HS2/HS3 uses Microsoft's speech recognition. I'm not faulting HST, it is just a weakness in the MS speech recognition that it will not adjust contextually to phrases like Google's Android speech recognition. I do not know how well Dragon works in this respect. But I see my Android phone dictating my text with nearly no lag, and I watch it dynamically change earlier words in a sentence as the context of the sentence changes as I speak. They have the system down.

~Bill

Comment

The change of a possitive recognition goes up if you hold the mic close to your mouth. But i don't want the hassle of putting on a headset if i enter the house nor walking around the hour with a phone in my hand all the time

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                            Also I'm surprised by the posting by AshaiRay that only local mike will work.
                            VR is a high demanding process for human interaction. Even a time lag of 1 sec is very noticable and it will become annoying rapidly. All the other mentioned options will work just for play around but it's not suitable for open air VR.
                            - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

I agree, VR definitely needs to be continually developed and integrated. Speech interaction (both VR and TTS) is an integral method to creating an organic environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X