If you don't agree to the new Sonos EULA your devices might not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't agree to the new Sonos EULA your devices might not work

Sonos is starting to collect user data and if you don't agree you won't receive updates and who knows what else will happen down the line.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-a...e-to-function/

""The customer can choose to acknowledge the policy, or can accept that over time their product may cease to function," the spokesperson said."

"That "functional data" includes email addresses, IP addresses, and account login information -- as well as device data, information about Wi-Fi antennas and other hardware information, room names, and error data."

No bueno.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

That's what I love about cloud services, they never fail to disappoint.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

As long as they keep their quality up as it currently is they can have that information and more. It sounds like they want to determine some metrics on home networks for the future addition of their Alexa support. Alexa already know every thing about you
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        As long as they keep their quality up as it currently is they can have that information and more. It sounds like they want to determine some metrics on home networks for the future addition of their Alexa support. Alexa already know every thing about you
        As long as they are using it for internal metrics to improve the products, that might be ok. However, if they decide they want to sell it so they can make anymore money, then it's a no go. There is no way I'm paying a premium for a product so they can sell my usage.

*note, I don't use Sonos, but I'm not a fan of products with a premium price also trying to sell your metrics (not that there are many if any at all).

Comment

Personally metrics these days are being utilized for any type of connection to the internet.

home to internet (cloud applications, surfing et al) ==> ISP (metrics look) ===> anywebsite (metrics look)

It really doesn't matter much relating to the disclosures.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Don't have an Alexa or Sonos. They say they will collect email addresses, Probably to send advertising to everyone in your contact list. Since you seem willing to share private information can I get your bank account number? I promise not to share it with a third party.

Comment

Though I don't agree with this new concept of data collecting, lets be realistic. I don't have sonos, but they aren't the first to do this, and they won't be the last. We can complain all we want, but the general public either doesn't have the know how or the care (or probably both) to know what is being collected and possibly sold, and they drive this practice.

If you have an internet connection, you are giving up data just by browsing sites (especially if you are using Chrome). That cell phone in your pocket, yea its giving up a lot of data about you. Google and Facebook are the worst about this and yet we accept it by using the product.

This is the direction things are going, and we are allowing it by buying into iOT devices. The train has started to move, and it will be impossible to stop. We give up privacy for convenience. If you don't want your data sold, your only option is to disconnect from the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                Though I don't agree with this new concept of data collecting, lets be realistic. I don't have sonos, but they aren't the first to do this, and they won't be the last. We can complain all we want, but the general public either doesn't have the know how or the care (or probably both) to know what is being collected and possibly sold, and they drive this practice.

If you have an internet connection, you are giving up data just by browsing sites (especially if you are using Chrome). That cell phone in your pocket, yea its giving up a lot of data about you. Google and Facebook are the worst about this and yet we accept it by using the product.

This is the direction things are going, and we are allowing it by buying into iOT devices. The train has started to move, and it will be impossible to stop. We give up privacy for convenience. If you don't want your data sold, your only option is to disconnect from the internet.
                Well said, we all haemorrhage way way more data than we realise just by the very nature of being online or having anything more complex than a PSTN phone in our lives. Stuff about my Sonos usage they are welcome to, it is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Public Strava profile? Congratulations in just broadcasting when you are out of the house for the burglars, SSID part of your surname, just found the house I was looking for etc.

Comment

The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Despite popular belief it only takes one person to make a difference. There are countless examples where a tweet, Facebook, You Tube video changed Governments, People, Companies.

Simply rolling over to the *System* is just an excuse for being lazy, inept, and don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Personally thinking it is the wanting and easy to get new technology. Mostly it's been IT centric folks that were always concerned about this kind of stuff.

The PFSense firewall endeavor relating to the use of VPN for access to the "free" internet (well it should be free as it is today just a two way broadcast medium).

China and Russia want to ban the use of VPN tunnels for a reason.

It doesn't really matter what they do though because there will always be a will and if there is a will then it will be done. That is just the way of the world these days.

I wouldn't call it rolling over to the system when in fact most folks are totally unaware or even care about the technology on their smart phones, tablets and computers these days.
                      Last edited by Pete; August 25, 2017, 02:16 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There has never been a time in our history where mankind has enjoyed so much technology and advancement. The people have grown up and surrounded by said technology.

This isn't a case of 85 year grandpa too old to know and learn. This is the 2000 crowd who simply are too stupid to care because they are just sheep.

Where we are as a society is exactly like that one movie. Where the *Machine* did everything including wiping their aszz.

The machine broke and none of the humans new what to do and just started to die.

Nobody expects anyone to be all knowing. But for the love of God take a few moments rub a few brain cells together and ask a question or ask why???

People in general these days have zero drive to learn and know WHY! They simply accept things work and it's easy.

Sonos is a over priced WiFi box that offers simple connectivity for the general public. To think people actually believe these box's are at par with true speaker manufacturers is quite laughable.

That's like comparing a Chevet to a Ferrari. Yes both are modes of transportation but one isn't even in the same league in terms of driving performance.

Then again to be fair the audio world is filled with over priced crap with people using fancy words to explain something sounds good!

Seeing a rich fool part ways of 10K for a turntable or 50K for a speaker is right up there with dumb & dumber.

Comment

I concur with your thoughts on the Sonos devices. Advertisements sold a pet rock a few years back.

There are many many concerns relating to AI and the future these days.

For our own health some day soon we may not be allowed to drive a car or read a book or explore history....
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The movie Idiocracy comes to mind.

Comment

On a related tangent the perversion of the so called cloud power is what has started the IoT stupid mentality. The fact people truly believe it's OK to rent something you own and have zero control over privacy & security is why the Internet is in shambles. Well besides the fact low life morons feel compelled to break the Internet! [emoji35]

Comment

Working...
                              X